Lilliput to Brobdignag: Pawn scaling problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
my architectural walkthrough mod (modded on UT2004) is being used by students who are not working to a standard scale system, which means that the characters made for the mod are sometimes out of scale for their walkthrough maps. rather than have them redo their work, i'm working on a provision for scaling the pawns on a map-by-map basis.

all works well at a reasonable scale range -- pawns can be scaled to 1/2 size or enlarged to 5x with no probs.

but at a scale factor of ~0.475, odd things happen -- some of the animation sequences start to fail. i believe this is related to the adjustment i make in Groundspeed to compensate for the reduced scale. default pawn Groundspeed for my characters is 105 (they are much closer to normal humans than the UT2004 combat models).

my question is, does anyone know why dropping the Groundspeed below ~50 would disable anim sequences? i think this is some numerical limit because at the same pawn scale (0.475), my run animations work OK, and the running Groundspeed is higher than walking.

nothing i can find in the code base seems to explain this.

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
Mychaeel said:
It appears the thresholds are hard-coded. Foo at that.
Foo, indeed. that confirms my suspicions, Mychaeel, and thanks for the link. for the mod a scale less than 0.50 won't likely be very useful but it's good to know the direction to take if the threshhold needs to be exceeded.