1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE2 - UT2kX Lighting problem

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by forrestmark9, Apr 3, 2014.

1. forrestmark9

forrestmark9 New Member

I'm porting over a map from Halo and I want it to be pretty authentic to the original and I me and a friend have gotten everything working and setup correctly except these weird sections of light bleeding through the static mesh (Yes this map is a full static mesh, it could not be done with terrain due to the lack of being able to use more then 1 detail map)

Here is a screen to show
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52828637/BSPHelp.png

That cave should be dark but light seems to be bleeding in from the cracks

2. Wail of Suicide

Wail of Suicide Member

I think you need more triangles as UT2004 uses vertex lit static meshes. There might be some other issues going on beyond that though.

3. forrestmark9

forrestmark9 New Member

Hmm I see, this issue is also in other places where shadows seem to be cut off

4. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

Static meshes in UT2k4 don't block light from dynamic actors (like pawns, weapons, projectiles etc.), only static stuff that was present in the map when lighting was calculated. Only BSP blocks light from hitting dynamic actors. To fix what you have there in that amp, add BSP blocks/walls/shapes behind the static mesh terrain/cave.

5. forrestmark9

forrestmark9 New Member

Hmm you're fix helps with the issue but doesn't fully fix it as all light in the map is coming from a sunlight actor and the zoneinfo.

I still have the problem of this
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52828637/Shadows.png

The shadows are completely off and getting cut off on certain parts

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  6. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

Like what Wail of Suicide was getting at, since static meshes are lit per vertex when an individual mesh vertex is blocked from getting light by another section of geometry (static mesh triangle or BSP etc.) it will be dark causing that corner of the static mesh triangle to be darkened. This it what is shown in the picture you posted. There are some options to improving the lighting which typically involve adding more vertices, adjusting the model's smoothing groups, playing with the individual static mesh actor's scaleglow/ambient glow, or adding extra lights to the level.