lighting on walls

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
i have made a ctf level with two castles and a big landscape. i made the castle, and copied it and rotated it 180 degrees, but the walls in the copy are pitch-black or so dark you can't see them unless on highest brightness. wtf happened? how do i fix it?

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
to copy it, you hold ctrl+alt and click and drag the red box around all that you want to copy. then edit, copy, edit, paste, and rotate it. i found the problem, i had all surfaces on superlow shadow detail to increase performance, and that is why they were so dark. the ceilings were just bigger, so the lightmap landed on them.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I didn't think shadow detail made any performance difference unless you had dynamic lighting effects? I may be wrong.

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
it can make a difference, becuase the lightmap resolution is like a grid on all the surfaces. the size inbetween the grid is the resolution, and the higher it is, the more gourothingy triangles it has to shade to draw the polygon. if the lightmap has very low resolution, it will draw much fewer triangles to shade the surface.

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
now i am having the same problem in the mine with the mineshaft textures! no matter how many lights i put in there, after i build the lighting it all disappears. it is there, i can see from weapon flash, but i can't see it otherwise!