UE3 - UT3 Lighting of moving actors

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SamKablam

Dec 8, 2008
For one of my levels, I'm trying to make floating lanters. I created the matinee for the base object of the lantern, then used the 'attach actor' script for the other parts of it. The whole thing moves fine, except for two things:

1) The light source that I want to attach to the lantern to give a "floating light" effect doesn't move like the other actors. I don't believe that it attaches to the matinee object properly.

2) The moving actors don't light properly. In doing some searching, I found that as moving actors, they aren't part of the 'static' lighting channel, only the 'dynamic' moving channel. When I check the static lighting box and build the level, they light up properly. However, in playing the level, they're removed from the lighting channel.

So, how can I attach a light to a moving object, and how do I get moving actors to light up properly?

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Yeah, I also tried putting interp actors on the static channel but it seems UT3 doesn't let you do this. Instead, you need to tell the lights to broadcast on the Dynamic channel.

Also, what kinds of lights are you attaching to the "floating lanters"? Plain ol' fashioned point lights are static and can't be moved. If you want a movable lights, you need to use the performance-intensive dynamic lights instead.

SamKablam

Dec 8, 2008
Well, I did check off the "force dynamic lighting" because I want the light source to come from inside of the lamps versus having to build a bunch of lights around each individual lamp.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to get a moving object to receive proper lighting instead of being all black, as well as attach a light to a moving object so the light moves as well.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Like said, set the lamps and its surroundings to the Dynamic channel or an unnamed channel.

Do not use a regular light, go to your actor browser, expand light section, and find movable point light.

Disable shadowcast on the lamp mesh if the light is inside.

Dynamic lights have superior lighting quality, but you must use compositeshadows and not the standard ones.