1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Let's try this again......

Discussion in 'Nali City' started by MadMikey, Dec 23, 2001.

1. MadMikey

MadMikey New Member

Now that BangOut has shown me the error in my ways.....

I am an admin at StealthDP's Playground. I have downloaded and played EVERY single CTF map that NaliCity has posted between May and October.

Part of the reason that our game server has become so successful is because we always have the newest maps that are worth playing. Now that the maps from NC have become almost non-existent, it's harder and harder to keep the game content fresh.

All we hear from the NC people is "Soon".

I don't know if you guys realize this, but you're all working in a customer service role. And now some of your customers are getting a little agitated.

Ultimately, it's up to you as to the level of customer service you provide..........

2. StoneViper

StoneViper you can call me Mike

much more professional this time. (Introducing yourself - nice touch). I don't know if you've played all the maps here: ftp://ftp.edome.net. but many people in here are level designers themselves pimpin' their own maps - Like Me!!. If you click on there profile, you will usually find their homepages where they house their maps. Try playing my (excuse the name of it) CTF-Face2000SE from my webpage. Naming it face was a mistake and i've got bad publicity with it, but it's mucho fun to play! The Showcase forum is where we pimp our maps.

Good Luck with your conquest to find more maps!!

3. Hourences

Hourences New Member

your site is nice
    i do agree with your that some more news and stuff would be nice cause it is an customer service indeed, but on the other hand i know how hard they are working on it, and i know how hard it will own when its done, and the best product is the product wich had the time to be made, not the product that is being rushed to an release date but then still full of bugs

4. icest0rm

icest0rm Ready for a cold one?

Well let's hope "NC3" will 0wn. I got my fingers crossed. But you have to know that a lot of people are being hung dry during this period. I'd really hate to see StealthDP (or other UT servers) falter just because they can't find new maps. UT is an old game, but the thing that's keeping it alive are the MAPS.

5. BangOut

BangOut ...smells like groin.

I have a renewed preview of the site to show but I need to get the green light on whether or not to post it.

The answer is still 'soon' with no definite date but an estimate of launch within the next month(?) Yoda can correct me if desired.

Maps: We can't update until we have a working database to put them in and I cannot use the NC2 tools to add the maps to the future NC3 database.

6. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

Do you think I could convert DM-Toberus][ to CTF????

/me fires up ED

7. BangOut

2/10, Rukee. 2/10.

8. StoneViper

woohooo, yeah!!!, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. BangOut

Simmer down... it could be 2 or more

10. lucifix

lucifix I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(

why dont they just fix NC2 for the time being? it would be better than nothing.........

11. BangOut

Maybe for you, not for us.

12. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

I just had a peak at the new site and I`m sure everyone`s gunna like it!! :)

13. StoneViper

can i get a peak, i wanna peak at nc3!

and don't say im not leet enough!

14. BangOut

mm, not just yet

15. StoneViper

what kind of people get to peak at it¿

16. Freakish

Freakish Speed Addict

So there's absolutely no way for you guys to put up links to maps? The ability to download maps is the most vital part of NC. Reviews are secondary, news is secondary, but map updates are of prime importance.

I know NC3 will be up 'soon', but in the meantime is there some way you could work around the map availability problem? Heck, a simple page with a bunch of text links would be fine. It doesn't hafta be purty if it's just going to tide us over to the kick-booty new system. I'm sure everyone won't mind an ugly newmap page since they know how hard you're working to bring us NC3.

You guys have been THE place to go for maps; without your updates it's turning stale fast and I sure don't want to go play Face servers. :)

17. StoneViper

ftp://ftp.edome.net/mirror/nalicity/

18. BangOut

Okay... here comes tough love....

CTF-Face is most likely better than 95+% of the maps that have been uploaded to NC since we moved. Just because you get spawn sniped and piston camped online doesn't mean it's not one of the best maps ever made for UT. It's a cold, hard fact.

In fact, while you all may be screaming for maps, there are over 5000 in our database and I bet you haven't played them all yet. 100-200 more not on your hard drive isn't going to make or break you.

Be glad we're doing this redesign on the community's down time and not just after a release of a new game.

Trust me, there are going to be a couple good maps of all the ones I've pulled off of our FTP but the fact is most aren't and you'll be just fine without them until then.

The community needs active sites, but it also needs things done right. Give us time to do things right and you won't regret it. If you can guarantee me you've played all 5000+ maps on our site and are ready for more, then I will zip up all the maps on my hard drive and e-mail them to you.

Running a server? Go get some highly rated maps on NC from the past. CTF server? Check out my reviews at my other site... anything 7 and up from August 2000 to the present is worth playing.

19. BangOut

Okay... that was a little harsh, but...

Given my experience funnelling maps through my computer for more than two years now, I can safely say that:

1. Chances are the best maps that became available during this downtime were prominently featured at Planetunreal and prominent mappers' sites
    2. Chances are that there is a diamond in the rough of the maps sitting on my hard drive but they will be discovered in time
    3. Chances are that the majority of the maps in there are of poor quality: harsh fact, simple truth :and you are better off with them sitting on my PC than yours.

20. Horton'sWho

Horton'sWho www.unrealplayground.com

"The majority are poor quality..."

Yeah-- I'd agree with that.. I haven't played ALL 5000 but I'm over 3000 and counting. I've also deleted most of them. Over time I've DL'd all the maps with an above .500 rating and am now looking through the rest. Most do suck, urmmm at least don't come close to L33tness... Even the maps at PU, when they do appear, are generally lame.

UT is obviously showing it's age. Most of the other reviewer sites haven't updated in many moons. Several of the bext links from PU are dead in the water.

It will take a refreshed Nali City and great servers like Stealth's to keep things interesting.

UT2-- if it really exists... is at least August away:mad: