1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leaving your spoon or fork in the microwave damages the microwave.

Discussion in 'Other Stuff' started by OO7MIKE, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. OO7MIKE

    OO7MIKE Mr. Sexy

    Joined:
    May 2, 2000
    Messages:
    4,935
    Likes Received:
    0
    Can anyone actually prove or disprove this?
    I mean its what i was told when i grew up. It really doesn't make any sense, considering the inner hull of the microwave is made of metal. As far as i can tell it's there to deflect the microwaves.
     
  2. Varpu

    Varpu Novice Nali City Reviewer

    Joined:
    May 21, 2001
    Messages:
    309
    Likes Received:
    0
    It depends on the shape of the spoon.

    If the spoon is electrically "in tune" with the microwaves it will start to radiate the microwaves backto the magnetron and may cause damage in there. Today the magnetrons are pretty durable and usually don't get the hit.

    You can do funny stuff with your oven:
    ball lightning in microwave ovens
    Unwise Microwave Oven Experiments

    And so on ...

    Microwaves can be fatal !
     
  3. Rukee

    Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

    Joined:
    May 15, 2001
    Messages:
    6,644
    Likes Received:
    0
    some new microwaves have a stanless steel insert, or the walls inside the unit are stanless steel for easy cleaning.
     
  4. Stakhanov

    Stakhanov Invisible Pink Unicorn

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2002
    Messages:
    280
    Likes Received:
    0
    Whoa , pretty freaky links Varpu ! I've already seen small discharges (metallic object form an arc with the oven ceiling) , but never thought you could cook a plasma ball inside your kitchen... lol.

    As for the neon tubes lighting inside the oven , it sounds pretty logical to me , theses voracious gases absorb different sorts of energy.

    Superheated water is an other interesting but dangerous physical phenomenon , it is scary to think a coffee mug can become that mean...

    Edit : just tried this simple experiment (leave a 1/3 filled glass of water for 2 minutes inside the oven , let it cool down a bit , then cook again) , and it works ! The water obviously boils at first , but "cools down" unnaturally fast , and as soon as you switch the oven back on , the big bubble of steam explodes... in fact I might be lucky to not have it blow up in my face :eek:
     
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2003
  5. Balton

    Balton The Beast of Worship

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2001
    Messages:
    13,174
    Likes Received:
    66

    poor stan :(
     
  6. OO7MIKE

    OO7MIKE Mr. Sexy

    Joined:
    May 2, 2000
    Messages:
    4,935
    Likes Received:
    0
    thats what i had suspected.

    Thx for the proof Varpu.
     
  7. The Purple Bunny

    The Purple Bunny Super Mario Breakdance!

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2003
    Messages:
    432
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've had forks give off blue sparks when in the microwave. Maybe this has to do with the rotating plate. Maybe it has to do with superconduction. Maybe it's ghosts. I don't know. As long as the microwave doesn't blow up killing everything in a 5-block radius I don't pay attention to it.
     
  8. Cat Fuzz

    Cat Fuzz Qualthwar's Minion. Ph34r!

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2001
    Messages:
    3,930
    Likes Received:
    0
    Metal reflects the microwaves. Glass, plastics and ceramics absorb the energy. The reflection is what causes the sparks.
     
  9. Bot_40

    Bot_40 Go in drains

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2001
    Messages:
    2,911
    Likes Received:
    0
    I wanna try nuking a cd now, but I gotta wait till my parents are out so I will be able to get rid of the smell after, and also, I don't want to blow up the microwave. Most sites seem to say that modern microwaves won't be affected. Ours is about 1 year old, though it was a horrible cheap one for about £40 I think :hmm:
     
  10. The Purple Bunny

    The Purple Bunny Super Mario Breakdance!

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2003
    Messages:
    432
    Likes Received:
    0
    What about if you put a smaller microwave into a bigger microwave and cook it?
     
  11. Stakhanov

    Stakhanov Invisible Pink Unicorn

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2002
    Messages:
    280
    Likes Received:
    0
    Since the smaller oven is isolating microwaves anyway , I don't think you would see anything special (sparks from a metallic surface to another)

    Interesting things might happen if you keep 2 identical microwave ovens next to each other with their doors removed so that microwaves can travel freely between the two ovens. Not sure if it would cause interferences or just create a bigger microwave chamber. That's something to experiment , pile in lots of glasses filled with water , and see which ones are boiling. Perhaps you would see a "nodal plane" between the 2 ovens , where microwaves have no effect.
     
  12. AMmayhem

    AMmayhem Mayhem is everywhere

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2001
    Messages:
    4,745
    Likes Received:
    0
    Speaking of things not to put in a microwave: liver. After a minute or less it blows up, and leaves a really bad smell... :con:
     
  13. Varpu

    Varpu Novice Nali City Reviewer

    Joined:
    May 21, 2001
    Messages:
    309
    Likes Received:
    0
    Fis

    There is one thing you should be careful with - the FIS (Factory Installed Smoke).

    From experience I know that all electrical equipment has FIS inside. Once the FIS comes out of the equipment it usually becomes defunct. And it is very hard to put the FIS back in once it has escaped. :lol:
     
  14. The Twiggman

    The Twiggman Instagib 4 Life

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2002
    Messages:
    647
    Likes Received:
    0
    My friend was microwavings something wrapped in tinfoil. I couldn't remember what at the time, we were both in the kitchen with the lights off. We throw the stuff in the microwave turn around and all of a sudden the room started flickering, we look and the microwave is sparking inside all crazy. So turns out they dont like tin foil. It still works fine, but im sure its damaged some how. Maybe one day when im bored I'll test it in my house with a bunch of silverwear.
     

Share This Page