UE3 - General largest additive map size

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

thyroid

May 29, 2010
Hello all, currently I have one simple question that I can't seem to find an answer for.

What is the largest additive map size that can be created in UE3?

Thanks in advance.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I've never heard of a limit on map size.

Even if the engine doesn't explicitly limit you, there are other practical limitations. If a map is large enough, loading times will get prohibitive. I suppose you could eventually overflow the datatype that Epic uses for game coordinates.

thyroid

May 29, 2010
DannyMeister: Thanks for the reply. I'm not concerned with the practical limitations as it's not a standard fps level or anything.

Sjosz: What do you mean when you say less accurate and more prone to error? Placement errors and crashes? And at approximately what distance from world center does this begin to occur?

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Sjosz: What do you mean when you say less accurate and more prone to error? Placement errors and crashes? And at approximately what distance from world center does this begin to occur?

AI accuracy, streaming, that sort of thing really. no pre-set distance for that, just the further away from the origin you go. Should be relatively safe in the grid area that you can see. The smart thing is to stream levels small enough anyway, nothing to do with practical FPS type stuff.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Vector values have a replication limit for their components in the range +-2^20 or so. That's also about the practical limits of the floating point accuracy, since it leaves only about 3 or 4 bits for the fractional part. Smaller velocities may no longer have any effect on the actor location, depending on the framerate/tickrate.

To be on the save side, don't make your level much larger than maybe 100,000 units in any direction from the origin.