Kraal Bash!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
When testing my mod, I ended up with a few krall fighting each other, and it looked really cool.

So I though: What if there were a gametype where you just watched two teams of krall kill each other?

Of course, it needs a bit more substance than that. Perhaps it could be an elaborate betting game, where you bet on different teams in an area. Or perhaps thats a stupid idea.

Maybe the player could direct his team of Krall. He could click on one, then click somewhere else to order them around. It would be a fairly simple system.

You could have three basic commands, depending on what you click on:

Ground: Go here.
Enemy: Attack enemy.
Friend: Follow friend.

For extra strategy, the player could have powerups that he could give to certain Kraal.

In this gametype the actual player could either be a normal character, a ghost, or an unarmed character who is ignored by the fighters. I think being an unarmed human would be most interesting. That way you could weave around the battlefield, ordering troops and distributing powers, running to give a falling Kraal extra health, or a surrounded Kraal a strength boost.

It would be awesome! I'll see if I can rig up a bare-bones version to show you how cool it is....

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
sounds pretty cool, kinda like a mini-Starcraft kinda thing.

Hope it won't interefere with Seekers 6 though ;)

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
Well, I'm having trouble doing anything that works. But here are some more ideas:

Interface:
==
Left click selects a unit or group.

Left click on another unit adds or removes them to\from the group.

Left click on the ground makes them go there.
Left click on an enemy attacks.
==
All nice and simple-like.

Units left on their own will fire at visible enemies automatically. Units will not fire while following a move order, or while charging towards an enemy. You may need to be able to order a unit to use a special attack too.

I don't know whether to make a whole new lot of states for the units, or try and modify existing ai states. I don't want to have to redo all the ai...

My new proposed states for units:
1. Waiting: No orders. If sees enemy, goto state Defending. If engaged in melee, will go to state Fighting
2. Move: When ordered to move. Goes to destination, then waits.
3. Fighting: Charge enemy, then hit with stick.
4. Defending: Shoot at enemy. Stand more or less still.

(When given the order to move, the unit goes into state Move. Order to attack puts him in the Fighting\Hunting state.)

Your hud should show each units team and health. If you select a unit in a group, beams should appear showing other group members. Another beam points at the movegoal or the enemy.

Unit types:
I think there must be more than one type of unit. I'd like 'archers' and 'fighters'. The archers shoot while the fighters charge at them... it would look cool.

Perhaps 'Bazooka troops' would be interseting too. You know, long range artillary. And slow moving tough troops, and ultra-fast skirmishers.

I'm thinking that the player will have somewhere between 8 and 16 units. Not sure if the engine or a first-person interface could handle any more.

Maps would be open, fairly big. Large open spaces will ledges for sniping.

8mm_BuLLEt

I will rule the world!
Nov 3, 2003
South-south-west england
Visit site
Dragonfly_of_Forgery said:
Well, I'm having trouble doing anything that works. But here are some more ideas:

Interface:
==
Left click selects a unit or group.

Left click on another unit adds or removes them to\from the group.

Left click on the ground makes them go there.
Left click on an enemy attacks.
==
All nice and simple-like.

Units left on their own will fire at visible enemies automatically. Units will not fire while following a move order, or while charging towards an enemy. You may need to be able to order a unit to use a special attack too.

I don't know whether to make a whole new lot of states for the units, or try and modify existing ai states. I don't want to have to redo all the ai...

My new proposed states for units:
1. Waiting: No orders. If sees enemy, goto state Defending. If engaged in melee, will go to state Fighting
2. Move: When ordered to move. Goes to destination, then waits.
3. Fighting: Charge enemy, then hit with stick.
4. Defending: Shoot at enemy. Stand more or less still.

(When given the order to move, the unit goes into state Move. Order to attack puts him in the Fighting\Hunting state.)

Your hud should show each units team and health. If you select a unit in a group, beams should appear showing other group members. Another beam points at the movegoal or the enemy.

Unit types:
I think there must be more than one type of unit. I'd like 'archers' and 'fighters'. The archers shoot while the fighters charge at them... it would look cool.

Perhaps 'Bazooka troops' would be interseting too. You know, long range artillary. And slow moving tough troops, and ultra-fast skirmishers.

I'm thinking that the player will have somewhere between 8 and 16 units. Not sure if the engine or a first-person interface could handle any more.

Maps would be open, fairly big. Large open spaces will ledges for sniping.

*BRAINWAVE*

I'm a veteran at making up ideas for this sorta thing...

Basically, the rules are first team to destroy the opposing team's stronghold wins. This is how I see it could turn out :

Rules

There can be 2 to 4 teams. The more teams, the bigger the map, also the more soldiors (Krall) per team also increases the mapsize, so that they dont colide and end up getting 2 krall stuck INSIDE eachother.

Upgrades

The Krall soliors can be upgraded to Elite Kralls, Mercenary (Satore Monsterpack) , then a Brute, then an Elite brute, then Skaaj, then an Ice skaaj, then a Fire Skaaj, then a Warlord, Then queen, then Titan (Satore Monsterpack - *NOTE* You must SIRIOUSLY recuce the health of the Titan. Make it have 500 more HP than the Queen) .

*If I've missed any, just tell me. Also, maybe some from the Invasion monsterpack thing.

Upgrades can be purchased by commanding a monster to enter the stronghold. To do that, you must have enough minerals (gained by fighting) and also have to click the monster, then click the Upgrade symbol. Also, monsters can be build from the stronghold, however for upgrades, you have to reseach the monster first. Here are the costs :

Build :
Krall - 50 minerals, very fast building time.

Research :
Elite Krall - 100 minerals, very fast research time.
Mercenary - 150 minerals, very fast research time. Requires Elite Krall.
Brute - 250 minerals, fast research time. Requires Mercenary.
Elite Brute - 300 minerals, moderatly-fast research time. Requires Brute.
Skaaj - 350 minerals, moderate research time. Requires Elite Brute.
Ice Skaaj - 375 minerals, moderate research time. Requires Skaaj.
Fire Skaaj - 400 minerals, moderatly-slow research time. Requires Ice Skaaj.
Warlord - 550 minerals, slow research time. Req. Fire Skaaj.
Queen - 700 minerals, very slow research time. Req. Warlord.
Titan - 1250 minerals, super slow research time. Req. Queen.

Special Monsters

Each team has 4 special monsters, all the same, unfortunetly, since Epic only made 4 of them. They all requite research. However, since there is 4 of them, in a 2 team match, both teams have 2 special monsters. In a quadteam match, all 4 teams only have 1 special monster.

Specialty Build
Pupae - 50 minerals, superfast build time. Requires research.
Razorfly - 75 minerals, superfast build time. Requires research.
Manta - 100 minerals, fast build time. Requires research.
Gasbag - 150 minerals, moderatly-fast build time. Requires research.

Researching the specialy monsters cost double as much as they do to build.

Right then, I'm just about out of ideas now... more to come ;) .

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Do you realize how old this thread is, and that Dragonfly has been gone for, like, forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.