Kmixer.sys problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
My rig:

Pentium Dual core 2.8 ghz, 2 gb ram, intel mobo, win xp sp2.(2006)
Tell me if there's anything else which needs to be added.

A few hours ago my windows crashed with this error. I started up a game, it just hanged at the console (everything just froze). What followed: Blue screen of death. I had to reboot my pc by unplugging the cable. Luckily I managed taking a picture with all the necessary information.

Because afterwards, I couldn't boot my pc anymore. It just hangs there at the boot screen (setup, restore, boot menu). I've tried loading the boot menu, the message is being displayed but it doesn't happen.

This is the error message which came up (stop code):

stop: 0x0000007e (0xc00005, 0xa9296222,0xa9a85ccc,0xa9a859c8)

kmixer.sys - address a9290222

memory dump...

I looked up this error message and it has something to do (from what I've gathered) with heating?

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Edit: Recently I cleaned up the inside of my computer (carefully, though) and checked the fans for dust. I was under the impression I had removed most, though....

Hdd space: 30 gigs left

Last edited:

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
[QUOTE="google.com D:]"kmixer.sys is kernel audio mixer of Microsoft Windows[/QUOTE]
So I think you should try install fresh soundcard drivers
Did you tried to boot in the safe mode? Or you can't get to it?
Also some Google results say that it can be hardware problem

Check your RAM with BIOS (disable fast-check or something like this). If there is no such option, try to boot from any LiveCD Linux, there can be very powerful RAM testing tools

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I did find that line of information you quoted, but I figured it wouldn't hurt asking for help here. Hell, apparently there can be many reasons for this problem.

I did an extra cleaning of the fans, didn't seem to help so scratch that.

As for booting: it won't go beyond the blue screen no matter what. Can't load the bios :/

I'll try the live cd later on, checking hardware now...

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
It just hangs there at the boot screen (setup, restore, boot menu)
And did you tried to reset the CMOS? You can do that by inserting something like screwdriver in the "CMOS Reset" jumper on the motherboard. If you can't find it, just remove the battery and unplug the power cord for a while.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I did remove the battery, perhaps I should've waited a little longer. But now that you mention the CMOS jumper, yes! I'll have a try, see what happens. Thanks for reminding me of that, WGH.

awaw

I didn't survive the '08 BUF crash
Jan 19, 2008
Windows XP's repair installation is pretty neat, try it :)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Yeah, I wish I could. That was my first approach to the problem. Alas...it won't go beyond the booting screen.

Ah well, I was thinking of upgrading/getting a new rig soon....

awaw

I didn't survive the '08 BUF crash
Jan 19, 2008
That does sound like a hardware problem.
Try to remove your sound card (or deactivate it in your BIOS if it's onboard) just in case it's really the sound card.
If that doesn't help, I'd check the other hardware, mainly the RAM. Whether you do this via a Linux CD or putting RAM from an other PC in, both should work, choose depending on which resources you've got.
I suppose you haven't overclocked anything?

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
No, I haven't tampered with the boot sequence in the BIOS so that's no option. I'll check the soundcard and ram.

My computer still won't respond to anything. It won't go beyond the blue boot screen, and it can't load the setup or boot menu blah... =)

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
blue boot screen
Are you talking about the POST-screen? It should look like this or this. If not, please, make a photo of it
If you are, then it's definately a hardware problem. Apparently with the RAM. Maybe with the power-supply.
I encountered with hardware problems with my computers only few times. Once one of two RAM modules died, fast POST returned OK, but Windows didn't work correctly. Ohh, so much time I spent to find it out :).

Last edited: