1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[Kickstarter] Planetary Annihilation - RTS

Discussion in 'Games' started by SnaKe-Fu, Sep 9, 2012.

1. SnaKe-Fu

SnaKe-Fu Thread Killer.

I'm a little surprised that I didn't find a thread about this game on here yet. This is a game that is almost through its Kickstarter launch time, but I thought I would still share it with you guys who may be interested.

It's being developed by Uber Entertainment Inc., the same people who did Monday Night Combat, and it's headed by two of the guys (Jon Mavor and Steve Thompson) who worked on Supreme Commander and Total Annihilation.

More info at their kickstarter page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts

2. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

We were talking about this in IRC a few weeks ago, just as it was getting started, and it was apparent then that it was going to get funded. I like that Uber is doing it and they do have some key players from TA working on the title. Two things still cause me to hold out on pitching in...

1. No Chris Taylor. Asset/engineering guys are important but if there's no vision for brilliance then it might be just another run-of-the-mill RTS.
    2. $20 is the bottom floor for entry right now. Yes, I get a copy of the game for my trouble (and a wallpaper - yawn) but how much will the game go for when it is released? Won't there likely be a sale that gets me in fairly early at a similar price?

If the $15 slot was still open I'd be more likely to join, but as-is I think I'll just wait and see. And I'm a huge TA/SupCom fan.

3. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I agree with what hal is saying. I'm having some heartburn over a few of their decisions (at least, on the kickstarter page). I love the concept but I'm not sold that they can deliver. There are some serious gameplay issues with the concepts they are experimenting with, I know from experience.

4. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

You should see how much people are bitching over a cross-promo of sorts between PA and SMNC
    If you pledge $20 or $90 you get a special cosmetic piece in SuperMNC and people are bitching "OMGWTF THIS IS $20/90!!1!" while ignoring that it's a "thank you!" for helping fund PA

5. Sir_Brizz

Hooray for F2P..... :shake:

6. Kyllian

Eh, if SMNC is any indication, it won't be as bad as other f2p games

7. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Planetary Annihilation is not free to play (thank fuck).

8. Kyllian

Eh, shows how much attention I pay to PA
    Gotta give them credit tho, their orginal goal was only $900k

9. Sir_Brizz

I think it's great and hope it turns out well. I just agree with hal I'm not sure they can do it.

10. tomcat ha

tomcat ha Well-Known Member

there is a possibility to donate through paypal.
    So i did donate.

11. Skillz

Skillz ut-files.com

I am interested in this game, but not interested enough to "prepay" for it like this.

12. Kyllian

So the $15 tier has returned or something
    It's basically the $20 tier on sale for $15