Kicker / SVehicle question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fraggee_Rok

Yeeeehuh?
Sorry to be dense, but as everyone on the UnWheel team has so much knowledge when it comes to the vehicle classes, I thought that I'd ask my dumb question here.
(this is relevant to an UW map that I'm planning, just in case you thought that I had evil plans on stealing your ideas for nothing ;) )
Is it possible to set up a kicker / jumppad that'll... well, kick vehicles?
I've tried the usual 'volume with an upward gravity thing', and although it does indeed lift the cars, it's really clumsy as the faster you drive through it, the less lift you'll get.
I even tried the old "drive over a landmine to boost the car" trick... and although it did work, the car ended up entirely dead :lol:
I'd like something that'll hurl cars reliably without resorting to ramps. Actually, a bit like the 'Stunt Vehicle jump', but not user controlled and with more power (more power is always good!)
Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• car.gif
    car.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 34

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
I guess I will answer your question partially:p Yes, you can:) How do I know? Try this link to the BeyondUnreal new page,http://www.beyondunreal.com/ , and look for the post on "BattleBikes Version1 Released" . I downloaded the small mod, which has kickers to boost the bike off of the ground. You didn't directly ask, but I know your next question; how? My answer, just like BattleBikes did it:) Sorry, but that's all I know:( Btw, I don't believe jump pads work with SVehicles.

Fraggee_Rok

Yeeeehuh?
Thank you for the reply and mod link. I'll be sure to download it and have a glance through the scripts tomorrow (nearly bedtime here!).
If the kickers only work on Kvehicles (or whatever class Monarch uses), then I'll stick with ramps and stuff if I can't port Svehicles into the mix.
Thanks again :)

bobnine

JamesG
Jul 18, 2004
New Zealand
There is a volume call karmaboostvolume,and an actor under navigation poit called karmaboost dest,
Im not sure what these do but they sound like they might work to make a vehicle jump pad.

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
It speeds the vehicle up in the direction either the vehicle points or the destination point is set. Basically u know those ramps in ONS(whatever that cave was) in the ECE patch that boosted the vehicle, that was a KBoost volume.

Fraggee_Rok

Yeeeehuh?
Cheers for the explanation ProjectX - although I had a fool-about with them (thanks for the idea Bobnine), they didn't seem to do anything. But now you've explained it, I can see that I was entering the volume at the wrong angle and therefore wasn't seeing any results.
Anyways, although Karmaboostvolumes might be good for straight-line turbo patches, they aren't great for getting cars airborne.
Oh yeah, although the Battlebikes mod is functional, the jumps are still user controlled (like the Stuntvehicles mut but more powerful).
I'll keep trying to figure the whole kicky-boosty-car thing out though... at least until something else distracts me!

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Ok, here we go...

UWJumpVolume. Make a brush, and use the Add Volume tool to select a UWJumpVolume. Make sure you open the "UnWheelJumper.u" package in the actor browser first.

Variables:

JumpForce: This is a vector for the force o apply to the vehicle. Z sends the vehicle straight up, but when the vehicle is moving, it'll send the vehicle up, but still use it's current momentom to keep it moving in whatever direction. Play with X and Y if you want to jump in a specific direction only. You need to use some pretty big values here (the default Z=500000 gives a fairly decent jump height)

JumpCentre: Another vector, this one specifies the point location on the vehicle where the force will be applied. The default of 0 for X, Y and Z applies force to the dead centre of the vehicle. By altering the numbers, you can send it into spins and flips. Only use very small numbers here (like less than 10).

JumpSound: Sound that's played when the player jumps...

Hope this is what you needed.

I'd suggest not setting and JumpForce numbers aside from Z - so the vehicle's existing velocity can be used to get it over jumps, while the jump volume just gives it height to do so.

Have fun :p

Fraggee_Rok

Yeeeehuh?
*nearly wees himself* ;)
Shrimp! I love you man! (in a thankful, purely hetrosexual way...) I'll be sure to try this out ASAP, even if it means ceasing the defragmentation of my UT2K4 computer.
Thank you thank you thank you!
And adding a 'twist'... Pure genius! Thanks!
*scampers off*

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Fraggee_Rok said:
*nearly wees himself* ;)
Shrimp! I love you man! (in a thankful, purely hetrosexual way...) I'll be sure to try this out ASAP, even if it means ceasing the defragmentation of my UT2K4 computer.
Thank you thank you thank you!
And adding a 'twist'... Pure genius! Thanks!
*scampers off*

This could be useful in more ways than one (envisions its applications in rabbit, flying cars everywhere, on small "islands" in space - would make a hectic map)

Fraggee_Rok

Yeeeehuh?
Yepyepyep! I still love you Shrimp!
I've tried it out and they work like a dream - just what I was hoping for. The whole Jumpcentre thing is an area that I'll really have to figure out (oh the cars I've trashed through experimentation...), but all in all, it's perfect.
Thank you so much for taking the time to create this for us Shrimp :)
This could be useful in more ways than one (envisions its applications in rabbit, flying cars everywhere, on small "islands" in space - would make a hectic map)
Hmm... I hadn't thought of that! ProjectX and his amazing "Can-'o-worm" opener..!

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Fraggee_Rok said:
Yepyepyep! I still love you Shrimp!
I've tried it out and they work like a dream - just what I was hoping for. The whole Jumpcentre thing is an area that I'll really have to figure out (oh the cars I've trashed through experimentation...), but all in all, it's perfect.
Thank you so much for taking the time to create this for us Shrimp :)

Hmm... I hadn't thought of that! ProjectX and his amazing "Can-'o-worm" opener..!

I just hope someone else can do it. I haven't got UnrealEd on my laptop atm.