1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Just bought a boring car...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by iolair, Aug 5, 2005.

1. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

Yep, just bought a 4-year-old Ford Mondeo, 2 litre petrol, automatic. Picking it up on Wednesday.

Particularly uninspiring, for someone who's always driven Italian cars (though I haven't worked up to a Ferrari or Maserati yet).

BUT

it drives well, is clean, immaculate condition, low mileage, and I needed to get a left-hand drive car before moving down to Spain.

and, because the previous owner was kind enough to auction it on eBay with a low reserve, I got it substantially below book price. (If he'd listed it in "Cars" instead of (I presume accidentally) "Classic Cars", maybe he'd have got more interest).

It looks rather like this one (same colour, model, body shape).
    [​IMG]
    An automatic? Urgh, I hate automatics. I guess I'll get used to it, and Mrs. iolair seems more than happy to have an automatic... she was concerned about having to gear shift with her right hand!

Oh, by the way, anyone want to buy my now superfluous UK-spec year-old Red Fiat Panda? £5k will do it...

2. Syri

Syri Who are you calling short?

I can think of much worse cars to drive than a mondeo ;)
    at least you've got the right model, best mondeo they made imo, never really liked the styling of the newer one.
    and as for the fiat, i think i'll stick with my astra for now :)

3. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

For all us yanks out there, that would be the now defunct "Contour". I'm not much of a Ford guy, but those are pretty good to get you where you need to go, and inexpensive to maintain.

4. mokeh

mokeh Ride for ruin

If you were selling a panda 4x4 I would snap your hand off XD

5. ChampionHyena

ChampionHyena Thank you for not melting!

My seventeen-year-old Volvo makes all other modes of transportation its bitches.

6. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

->->->->->->->->->->->->

The colour is good....

7. B

B Bee

What is the milage? and what did you pay for it?

Mondeo's are ok, I'm not a big Ford fan, but as Syri said it's one of the better looking versions :) but boo for the automatic!

8. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

37k miles. GLX spec with Aircon, H/B. £2800.

It is a good car. Just a trifle common/dull/boring for my tastes... I was hoping to find a LHD Alfa 156 or something like that... but this seemed to good a bargain to turn down.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  9. Daedalus

Daedalus I don't even...

Well is the gas mileage decent? I know my Chrysler Concorde eats gas like nobody's business because of the V6 in it. Good car, giant car, really surprisingly big actually but 18-20mpg city is none too good for someone like me who works at a mcdonalds.

Looks like it's a good car. I think I've driven/been in a Contour before, decent cars nice sedans, don't seem em around here (US) too much anymore.

10. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

:tup: :tup: My 850 is only 11 years, but still rocks.

BTW what is wrong with automatic? OK for town driving they aren't that efficient, but for longer journeys you'll really appreciate not tiring your limbs out.

11. Twisted Metal

Twisted Metal Anfractuous Aluminum

But seriously, my parents bought a $500 volvo on ebay and it's been running great for well over a year now. And this is with 187k+ miles.

My sister also had one with well over 200k miles, and still running just fine, though she did recently got an Accord so we are going to donate the volvo.

12. w00p

w00p Windows at its best

iolair, my dad has had a slightly older mondeo but the exact same engine and he did get problems with the exhaust when it was around 8 years old...
    He had to replace his cat and end can around five times for 200€ each time and then he decided to sell it to a garage.
    Now he has the newer style mondeo with a 2 litre turbo diesel common rail, enough for 130 hp
    Syri, you are wrong, the newest generation is the best mondeo.
    I can compare that generation with the newest, the exterior doesn't mean anything anyway unless you're a boy-racer tit. The interior has really improved. The rear seats on the older gen leaned back way to hard so you'd get back aches after 20 mins, plus the floor was too near to the seat so your knee's where very cramped. Knee thing was the same upfront, but there you could stretch your legs, so no bad there.
    The newer has higher seats, and overall more leg space and a bigger trunk, so overall way better.

The newer gen also has lots of small details that make it all so great. You know those little handles for when old ppl or ppl with leg problems or so have to get in or get out? the old gen: you flap it open, you let go and SLAM it hits the ceiling and everybody is gobsmacked. The newer: you release it and it slowly gets back into place, no loud slam, no taken by surprise and almost hitting a lamp post (really happened)...
    Just one of those details, wich are riddled around the car.
    Overall, its a great package.
    Can't complain...

13. Vers Vlees

Vers Vlees Oohhh a custom title

its a nice car my uncle drives the same type even colour of Mondeo but with a 1,8 TD Diesel engine(no it doesnt have a Soot filter blow me ****ing fine dust hippies)
    Too bad its a automatic so its usage will be higher then the manual one. But I heard that gasoline doesnt cost **** in spain so you dont have to worry about that :p

14. BITE_ME

BITE_ME Bye-Bye

My cars are Gay. I'm thinking about makeing a thread about them. And Ebay is a cool place to buy cars. :)

15. MrSmiles

MrSmiles selimsrm

my car's a 96 buick regal with 64,000mi.

edit: nice 1st car i've had it for about a month

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  16. seagreenbeetle

seagreenbeetle -radiant-sea-rodent-

iv got a 98 saturn, and i love the hell out of that car. its been so good to me through the years, even after all the **** its been through.
    iv put over 123 thousand miles on it already; saturns are great commuter cars;)

17. fist_mlrs

fist_mlrs that other guy

yay. my '93 460 is going to hit the 200.000km soon and has not had any major repairs while still beeing a dream to drive

18. Syri

Syri Who are you calling short?

I am wrong? for having a (clearly stated) personal opinion? not just an opinion that clashes with your own, but a wrong opinion? and please, think before you type. "if you care how it looks you're a boy racer"? um, yeah... guess i must go tearing round all day long showing off my bling in my factory spec astra then. least i must get all 'da girlz'...
    disagree with an opinion by all means, but don't say it's wrong to have a different view. or would you prefer a world where everyone's a smith?

19. BobTheFearlessFish

BobTheFearlessFish New Member

Wow. Syri lives in Nottingham. And i thought i was the only one.

I secretly prefer automatics. Cos im lazy.

20. Israphel

Israphel Sim senhor, efeitos especial

I'm a Nottingham boy too....well I was until left for Uni when I was 18, and then 10 years ago I did an iolair and emigrated to sunnier climes. I still go back to Nottingham to see my mum every two years or so and it's really cleaned up since I used to live there.

Iolair, when you've settled in Spain you really have to take that car and visit Portugal. Minho in the North is beautiful, Alentejo between Lisbon and Algarve is like Tuscany...but without the tourism. Rolling hills, beautiful white building villages on hills, fantastic beaches, churches with storks nesting on the spires, and some of the best wine I've ever tasted. And if you ever find yourself in Lisbon, then let me know and I'd be more than happy to show you around.:)