Just another new weapon...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
i had no problem with the way freon put it, the way i read your post "Uh oh! God forbid someone offers constructive criticism!" was that people on the team would be mindlessly bashing freon because he said something about the stuff we make. i believe this was not the case. in the rest of that post i went on to explain why i thought that adding more detail via geometry would be more than 'easily fixed'. keep in mind that like weve posted before, this weapon IS already 1391 polygons. what i usually aim for is more 1100 (though the M4 goes up to around 1200/1250), and with that on my machine (geforce 2 gts, 512 ram and P3 1ghz) itll slow down quite a bit on the more geometry intensive maps (think RtK, ruin, stalingrad, etc). adding geometry with polycounts in mind isnt quite 'easy', since sometimes ive had headaches myself over weapon models with too much detail. once youve got a high polycount after quite a bit of fiddling, its actually quite hard to knock it back down, let alone adding more detail. with the FAL, the way i see it (note this is my opinion, NOT bienleins) with the current polycount itll be very difficult to add more detail and thats before you think about kow redoing the skin, etc.

about the skin, i dont think itll be too bad, personally i think that we should wait to see something ingame (which is after i do the animations) before we say more.... the flatness of the reciever is only really noticible in those renders because you see the whole reciever on an angle like that. with motion and not seeing the whole reciever, i dont think itll be that noticible.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
I'm not disagreeing with your explanation, or, hell, even you. I relly should note that that comment was originally intended specifically for the kind of sentiment Shrap was posting. I don't believe that anyone working on the custom weapons was needlesly bashing him. Sorry for the confusion.

About the skin, yeah, I agree that it probably won't be too noticable. And even if it were, given that everything else in the game tends to look pretty awful, chances are it's not going to look aynthing close to bad in comparison.

[121st]Bienlein

Doctor please...
Jul 8, 2002
Aachen
www.121st.org
Dr.J said:
with the FAL, the way i see it (note this is my opinion, NOT bienleins) with the current polycount itll be very difficult to add more detail and thats before you think about kow redoing the skin, etc.
I agree. I wouldn´t have any idea where to start and where to stop.

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
sorry about misreading your post arethusa... i think i over-react when i see posts that i read to be needlessly slamming the work of people - myself being on the weapons team i think that sometimes the team gets a little too much flak for showing something members here dont like or think is not good enough (though really i think that this applies mostly to weapon characteristics - id go on for ages about people talking about weapon characteristics with only google backing so lets not go there ;) )....

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Well, I understand about some people calling the rifle "flat", but for UT99 I think that skin is beautiful. Hopefully when we go to UT2004, things can get better and we can have much higher poly counts.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
I'm beginning to think that people don't realise that there may already be a gun very similar to the one they are designing. For example, duke's M4 just copies and pastes (as far as i heard) the stats from the FAMAS. Well we already have a FAMAS, we don't need another one with better sights.

Think balance before you think "oh that would be cool to have!"

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
well as i remember dukes told us that about 5 of the rifles in inf have exactly the same stats in terms of ballistics - even the default ones that sentry had made for inf.. so i dont think itll be that big of a problem.

anyway, having a mod with the motto 'as real as it gets' in a game called 'unreal tournament' still has me quite amused :lol:

Last edited:

-Freshmeat

Eternally noob
Dec 4, 2003
Denmark
Visit site
My guess is "when its done" :lol:

And no offence to the work of Bienlein, but I hope that the AKM has higher priority for the mod team. And when it gets coded, I do sincerely hope that Sentrystudios and the mod team agrees on a standard damage for 7.62mm MBR so the FAL and the upcoming G3 won't differ hugely in that aspect.

-Freshmeat