1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jumps using weapons

Discussion in 'Unreal' started by Nastyhotshots, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Nastyhotshots

Nastyhotshots New Member

Hi all

Having spent many years playing Quake and other FPS I finally decided to revisit Unreal. I was shocked as to how good this game still is and its textures and graphics are great even by today's standards.
    My question is How to I make a jump using weapons such as ASMD and the eightball launcher. I take it you have to set some cvar to "1" as I cannot make a jump, no self kickback. Since there is no autoexec.cfg which files need editing?
    Sorry for such a Newbie question but I have yet to find the answer.

Thanks in advance

2. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

You don't have to set anything. Just aim to the floor with eightball under you and do a regular rocketjump. The rocketjumping was impossible with earlier pre-release eightball because the rocket bounced off the floor/wall before being ignited, thus it couldn't explode on you, however grenade jumping was possible and much easier/better than in final release.

With asmd you use the altfire to do the same, it will boost you up considerably. If you mean as kickback as when being in air and firing under you, unfortunately that kind of stuff isn't in Unreal by default, some mods did offer it, but there only used to be kickback horizontally but never boosting you up to air by default.

And the horizontal kickback used to be there when the game looked more quake-like itself, the levels. But it got changed to be less realistic even. However vertical boost up the air is arguably less realistic if you really mean this. Some mods like u4e offered it, with the shotgun for example, a variant on the cut/unfinished quadshot in Unreal.

3. Nastyhotshots

Nastyhotshots New Member

Thank you for your reply, very informative. Basically, I am wanting to try a speedrun. I know several young people I used to teach years ago who have managed a good speedrun in this game so I thought I would try and see if an old gamer such as myself can match those runs. I have tried the obvious way to jump using weapons and failed. Haven't tried it with alternative fire yet. I was beginning to think it might be this latest patch 227i.
    Will give it ago, thanks.

4. Leo(T.C.K.)

I tried it and it works under the oldunreal version you listed. In harder difficulties the damage is greater but you can still boost up. Sometimes you have to time it right with the jump, the trick is to do it at the same time with asmd, as the jump itself for example.

5. Nastyhotshots

Nastyhotshots New Member

Guess you are right about the timing, its not like doing a railjump in Q3A. I am managing a little bit of a jump, :) with the ASMD. Well guess I will be in practice mode for awhile until I can jump like this person:

Thanks for your help Leo

6. Leo(T.C.K.)

Yes, it's not like Q3A, Q3A is quite known for its variety of multiple/weird weapon jumps. Unreal was always a little more to the realistic side than Quake without taking it too far. It's what is unique about Unreal. Some of the UT series have went unfortunately too much into the unrealistic side, but aside that I guess my point stands.
    For me it was also very interesting to learn that there have been more realistic approaches at points of developement in Unreal and many things that were new or unique to the time did not survive many versions later. But it always tried to have things balanced, the realistic approaches felt right and not like many later games tried to make them and the re-used ideas from other games in the "series" I always found better than when someone takes a crap idea and botches it. UT borrowed a lot of ideas from Quake/threewave ctf, like the relics in the bonuspack were a direct counterparts to the Quake runes, but weren't obviously terrible, etc.

7. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

You mean with hi-res textures, at least?

8. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

A decent question to ask.