1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Joy! UnrealEngine Runtime builds!

Discussion in 'Programming' started by [SAS]Solid Snake, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

They can talk all day, still the license doesn't mention it.

2. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

Yes that is true. I'll have to download it at some stage. Does it come bundled with the unrealscript source code, or do we have to start from scratch again by browsing through the code in UnrealEd. I hope not. Looks like I will just have to wait till I download it and try it.

A 3D Desktop would be cool ... but it would be pretty limited though.

3. Wormbo

Sources and debug packages will be available for later builds it seems. They want to fix a network bug first.

4. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

Excellent. That was fast...

5. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

read it again, mark said: "people will not be able to write games"
    this because there are no game assests to use, it doesn't mean to can't write everything from scratch.

6. Daid303

Daid303 MSPA

So we can create a 'Game Base' package for the runtime engine, and then build other games (freeware ofcouse) on that?

Me goes mess around with the engine right away. :)

7. Radiosity

Radiosity Minty Fresh!

The official line is that it's not designed for games, not that it can't be used for games. Not designed, in the context of not being released with any content that could be used for games. As has been said, if you're willing to put the time and effort into creating all those classes and content from scratch, there's no reason you can't build a game :) Which is why I'm talking to my team about this at the moment, since it'll be better designing our game from the engine up rather than spending loads of time working around UT2003's existing codebase.

8. JamesKilton

JamesKilton UA Coder

Granted, Epic still hasn't let us in on native coding for this engine, so you are out of luck on any type of optimizations (like UT2003s weapons). I hope they open up that possibility either with the patch or soon afterwards.

9. Wormbo

The whole UT weapon system was free of native code, so why can't somebody try creating a weapon system similar to the UT2003 one, but without all the native confusion? I'm sure there's still room for (UScript level) improvements.

10. Daid303

Daid303 MSPA

The class Weapon, and the class WeaponAttachment are still there, just as Fire functions, creating weapons wouldn't be much of a problem. The only thing missing is the 'WeaponFire' class, but I didn't like it anyway...., to much confusement.

11. inio

inio many fauceted scarlet emerald

Maybe because, were it based on the UT2003 or UT weapon system, it would be copyright infringement? (fair use applies here, but I'm not about to speculate on what you could or couldn't get away with).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2003
  12. Wormbo

Originally the Ammunition class was supposed to hold information like projectile class, damage type, bot AI recommendations, etc.
    You can either build oldskool UT-style weapons, reinvent the WeaponFire wheel or try and see if you can wrap your mind around that Ammunition idea. (Unless you have a completely different idea, of course.)

13. punk129

punk129 !!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

haven't read the thread completly.

Only one question: If I code it myself, am I allowed to make a freeware-game?

14. inio

inio many fauceted scarlet emerald

It seems like there might be some confusion about that, but the answer might be yes. If it is allowed, 100% of the art and code has to be yours (or licensed for you to use and redistribute). This means, effectively, tossing out UT2003 before you start. Copyright applies to everything, including things you might not have thought of such as the overall design of the UT2003 class hierarchy or even how specific shaders work. Fair Use may apply in some situations (for example, you could probably get away with a peek at a shader to see how something was accomplished in a UT2003 map), I'd lean towards the "forgetting UT and UT2003 exist" side of the path.

And of course, INAL.

15. punk129

punk129 !!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

another question:

is there some netcode? can I use the runtime in network?

16. Wormbo

You can have netgames with the runtime out of the box. Epic even set up a server for that.

17. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

just RTFM: http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Powered/UnrealEngine2Runtime22261903/