JB-TheDecks

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Just another conversion... another Deck conversion... Is this the 3rd Deck JB map? omg, forgive me! :hmm:
This thing has rested for some time in my 'foolworks' folder: It is Deck17 mirrored the way I suggested some time ago in Rob's thread. I started it just for curiousity, but It worked pretty well then, so decided to give it another rush to share it.
I would not like it to be very popular online if it ever gets finished as you know (there are greater maps around with more work on them...), but it's fun enough to release as a New Year's present: Hope you'll like it: :)

Map features:
- Duplicated Deck map, good for very high playercounts: Both decks share the FlakCannon hallway, and there are hallways joining the upper BioRifle levels. There are a few more layout tweaks and new connectivity around. A few details were added in the new opened areas.
- The item placement has been tweaked to fit Jailbreak better, keeping the original DM map in mind, of course.
- Bot support for JB: The bots seem to take all the paths and attack pretty well. Haven't looked too much to it, though.
- No execution, arena, escape, panorama, and the jails are just a substracted cube. I am not going to make them, just wanted to have the map playable for today... Will have little time to map after holidays and I'd like to spend it on Fragtion. If someone wants to finish this one... feel free! :)

Pictures: (Showing some of the new thingies)
[SCREENSHOT]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/8236/jbthedecks11ul.jpg[/SCREENSHOT][SCREENSHOT]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/8163/jbthedecks24dn.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Linky: JB-TheDecks-Beta1b [Update 02-05-2006]

Happy new year to everyone! Have fun! :)

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
OK will take a look at it. If I am in a creative mood on a break from getting Egypts death sequence (its a really tricky one to make look good) I can take a look into making the jails and death sequence.

/edit can't even get the download to work.

Hows Fragtion coming along anyway?

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Not sure if this has been pointed before; both teams can't be released simultaneously from a shared jail... is that a bug? :rolleyes:

The_Head said:
can't even get the download to work.
Hit the 'Free' button, then you have to wait about 30 secs and a box appears. Beside the box there is a code you must write in the box. You can download the file then... ;)
It's annoying, but I don't know about a better place to upload maps, haven't got FTP space yet... :hmm:

Hows Fragtion coming along anyway?
It's coming along slowly, Age of Empires 3 is so fun... :D
The layout is very close to the original Mercen@ry's map. The visual theme has been worked on much farther, though. :) Still have to make some meshes and modify other ones from Idoma, make half of the execution, and I am having trouble with the bots. Will release a beta as soon as possible. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Glad you liked it, thanks! :)
You can work on jails and stuff if you want... It also needs a blue version of the red coloured texture (I am constantly confusing the bases the way it's now... :p).
The Redeemers still are in their place and they would be a good reward for a difficult escape... ;)

Thanks for the link, too! :tup:

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
I love the way you've fitted the 2 decks together :) If you need some blue versions of those red textures I might be able to help out. The lighting looks very bland IMO, much like the original deck17.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
jail and execution idea: make a jail out of bars and hang it above the lava. When a team is capped, lower the jail. :D You might want to adjust the amount of damage the lava causes to fit better with the execution, and because getting out of the lava when you fell in is sometimes a bit buggy.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Hazel: Thanks! Yep, make the blue texture whenever you can... Rob might also like it for using in the classic JB-Deck17... ;)

Jrubzjeknf: I like the execution idea, it also would be cool to make the jails swing a little... :D However they would be too small for a 10-16player map...

Last edited:

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Too small? Personally I'd like to see people getting a bit claustrophobic in a cage that hanging above hot boiling lava :D. Please try it :)

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Hazel: One tex would have been enough! :) Just tried them; blue trim beside red lava is a bit odd, apart form that they look good... :tup:

Jrubzjeknf: Yeah, you're right on that. It's just that too many players in a small jail could block all the Jail-PlayerStarts and make killed players spawn outside... :hmm: I'd like to see how it works, too; if the jail looks cool but it's buggy, a second one always can be added! :D

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
You could place playerstarts in the air. Or above the jail, where a barred door opens when you spawn there, then closes when you passed through. Or you can place the cage somewhere else. You'd need a ramp or a pole to slide it in the lava then. Or, considering the playercount of a team never exceeds 16, you could spawn players each in their own cage. Just make the cage invisible until a player spawns in there. Then players will get really claustrophobic :D

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Jrubzjeknf said:
Or, considering the playercount of a team never exceeds 16, you could spawn players each in their own cage. Just make the cage invisible until a player spawns in there. Then players will get really claustrophobic. :D
That would be awesome... :D
The jaildoors can be made using Attached Slave movers. Thus, they'd move independently in releases, and they'd go down with the jails during the execution. Would be a bit tricky placing the cages so that you don't fall in the lava when you're being released... I wouldn't like having a ramp next to each jail... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
tarquin said:
This is final, right?
Want it on the PJB space on Fileworks? I can do that :)

Otherwise, why not put it on Nali City?
No. It still is beta. Duplicating and new placement are done; no execution, arena, panorama and all the JB stuff... The_Head has offered to work on that since I won't have much free time until easter holidays -I've stopped mapping for a while to learn Max (and play AoE3 :p)- yet if someone wants to do something on it before... Would be nice having some effort by a lot of different members... :D

Jrubzjeknf said:
how about 'throwing' the cage against the wall and destroying it that way? The player would just drop out of it.
Do you mean for releasing players? I can't imagine a way to make that look realistic, but the jails could be moved out of the lava and open the jaildoor then... If they didn't go down in the execution... :( You can't tell movers to go sometimes to Key1 and other times to Key2... I also tried attaching movers but I couldn't get anything good... :hmm:

Last edited:

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
yea, that's true. Back to the previous idea. You could boost released prisoners out of it by using an invisible triggerable jumppad or maybe a physicevolume. Or you could just teleport them out and respawn them next to the jail (on the ground of course, not in the lava) or respawn at the playerstarts like JB-NoSense

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Wasnt the original jb deck 32 duplicated in the other orientation (like Teddie's decks)? This is a nice layout i was just wondering if you intended it to be done differently than it was before.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
SirTahngarth said:
Wasnt the original jb deck 32 duplicated in the other orientation (like Teddie's decks)? This is a nice layout i was just wondering if you intended it to be done differently than it was before.
I think he was just aiming to do it the way he felt best rather than specifically copying someone else or trying to be different