JB - The Movie

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
OK so I started toying around with the script a bit. The basic idea is that a group of random UT2k4 players get transported to the Skaarj Mothership to fight a match for the fate of the earth. They win and get to fly back to earth, but in the mean time they learn everything that has to do with JB.

Any suggestions are welcome, since this is just a basic idea. :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It starts here
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You see a CTF player getting x-loccing to the flag (bridgeoffate)
You see a BR player score (skyline)
You see an AS player capturing an objective (convoy)
You see an ONS player destroy the core in a goliath (torlan)
You see a DM player comboing (roughinery)
You see a CS clip (fpsDoug? BOOM HEADSHOT! :p)

Suddenly you see teh mothership
The players are teleported into the mothership as if it was RL (so normal human skins)
They enter with no weapons at all

BR: WTF is this.
ONS: WTF happened, I was whoring my goliath in UT2004.
CTF: huh strange, I was playing UT2004 as well.
CS: BOOM HEADSHOT!
AS: I know this place, it's the Skaarj Mothership.
DM: The what?

Suddenly a group of 6 skaarj come their way

SK1: (Clanlord) You have been selected to duke it out with us.
SK2: (Skilrax) If you lose, we will destroy Earth.
SK3: (Mekkor) If you win, we will return to our home planet and leave you in peace.
SK4: (Gaargod) We will give space ships to return home if you win from us.
SK5: (Guardian) But if you lose you will be ejected into space.
SK6: (Drekorig) 10 captures wins the match. Let the game begin.

The humans get teleported to either JB-Cosmos or JB-Divergence.
I'd say Divergence because it has attractive graphics.

CTF: Where the hell are we now?
CS: BOOM HEADSHOT?
AS: It seems to be some sort of remote spacerock
ONS: I don't like the look of those Skaarj though
DM: We need to win this match, but what are we playing actually?
BR: Well it seems to be the same as UT2004, but I don't know what gametype
CTF: I hope it will be CTF
DM: No I'm almost sure it is TDM
ONS: STFU CS player

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DM: OK lets explore the map. I can't wait to find the DD while I have the ltg
CTF: WTH there is no x-loc here! These skaarj are n00bs!
AS: What is an x-loc?
CTF: GAH I'm surrounded with n00bs!

Random stuff while they are "exploring" the map

ONS: I can't find any vehicles, what is this crap?
CTF: Vehicle CTF is for n00bs
ONS: I don't play vCTF. I play ONS
CTF: what's that?
ONS: Too hard for you

BR: can you say anything else
CS: BOOM HEADSHOT...
AS: I guess not.

AS: Where do we need to go?
ONS: I can't find any nodes and vehicles
CTF: There's this strange lock in stead of a flag over here
DM: What the hell is that?
BR: I don't know, but I'm sure it isn't BR

----------------------------------------

One of the players gets killed (I think the CTF player)

CTF: what the hell?!? It seems this playerstart is broken. Skaarj, you need to bugtest your maps!
AS: What's wrong?
- AS dies
AS: Oh I see it now. This seems to be some sort of jail.
DM: Is it LMS or something?
- DM manages to combo a Skaarj
DM: stfu, but it isn't LMS since we aren't loaded. Hmm.
CTF: I don't care what it is as long as you get me out of here!

In the mean time ONS, CS and DM get killed.

BR: What the hell, I get this strange grrl screaming in my ear that I am your last hope.
- The enemy team has been released
DM: I think you need to release us
AS: Hey! If you press F1 you see a map of this area!
CTF: And there seems to be some little icons on your HUD instead of flags, maybe that helps.
BR: Thanks I'm on my way now!

- BR Player gets fragged (LAST SECOND SAVE)
ONS: Now what?
BR: well I was close to the target, but I got fragged
CS: BOOM HEADSHOT?
BR: No it wasn't a headshot
-They start walking around and get executed

CTF: Ouch that hurts
ONS: Well it seems what we should do now.
BR: Yeah we need to get to that switch and release ourselves.
DM: But we have to protect our switch or they get released. I get it now!
AS: OK let's divide roles. CTF, BR and me go attacking, ONS and DM go defending and CS goes headshotting
CS: BOOM HEADSHOT!!!
DM: OK but as long as I can combo
BR: Sure. Just do your thing
CS: BOOM HEADSHOT!!1

- Shots of random frags are shown now. In the mean time:

AS: WTF you hurt me with the shieldgun!
DM: No I did not!
AS: Yes you did, look!
- DM gets pulverised by AS shieldgun
DM: Hey, we can fight ourselves in here without penalties.
AS: YAY, fun :p

CTF: There seem to be some monitors in this jail.
ONS: Yeah we can see the match from up here.
CTF: Cool!

AS: OMG I found an escape route!
BR: Where?
AS: There is this small gate that opens every now and then
BR: cool!
AS: You do have to shieldgun yourself up there, but you are freed.

DM: WTH, arenamatch starts in 3 seconds!
ONS: What's an arenamatch?
-DM gets transported to the arena
CTF: Press grey star? Where the hell is grey star?!?
AS: Found it, it's above your numpad
CTF: OK thanks
-DM frags the skaarj
DM: YES they do have 1on1 matches. And now I got released!
BR: Congratz

insert random BOOM HEADSHOTS as well

Also some releases, and fragging skaarj. We need the BOOM HEADSHOT dude actually get headshots :p

The humans win with 10-4

AS: Woo we won :D
BR: Good job team!
ONS: Yeah, pwnage!

Sk1: It seems you humans are outstanding warriors. We will not risk attacking your planet.
SK2: May your journey back be safe and glorious

AS: Yeah we get to fly spaceships! :D
ONS: How the hell do you know how to fly those?
AS: They're basically the same as other vehicles, so you shouldnt have any problems
CTF: Bah, vehakalz
ONS: Oh come on it isn't that bad

BR: I actually like this gametype.
CTF: Yeah it's pretty fun
AS: Maybe we can play it again sometime
CS: BOOM HEADSHOT
- CS crashes against an asteroid
DM: LMAO

They get back to earth.

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
Pretty cool :)
<3 the llama intro :lol:

But this project will be more like a movie, and not a frag vid.
The frag vid will be done as well, but I'm first gonna try and do the movie.

BTW, we need to organise a couple of nights to get good shots. I can't do this alone with bots (except if I start playing with Matinee, but then it will take ages ;) ).

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
The CS dude should only say BOOM HEADSHOT!, because it has no brains (hence he plays CS ;) (btw no offence to any CS players out there :) )). But the script needs work though. This is just the basics that I want in it, but I also need to point out positions etc. plus I made this in about half an hour :)

It will become a looooong filming night :eek: :)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
ok fair enough, forgot that AS does not have the trans in. can't say I have ever really played it. Except for when Jrubzjeknf used to drag me into Trials maps..... lol

I think we should try and get in some references to any classic sketchs and jokes whilst in the play, a nice bit of monty python :)

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
OK I have decided to do the non-fighting part in matinee. I know it's a bitch and it takes up a HELL lot of time, but I don't think we can get 12 players + 2 cameramen in a server at once. I've tried to make a movie before in matinee, it sucked horribly but it worked, so I should be able to make it :)

After I've finished the matinee we can get some fighting going. It's not much, usually 2-4 players on the screen. Add me as a camera and we're with 5. That's better than 14 isn't it? ;) Then I'm gonna stick the things together, add some voices (yes I need voice actors :) ) saying the lines above, and then it should be done. :D

I forgot we also needed to show a llama in the movie, so I'm gonna add that as well :D

Any funny stuff is welcome, so if you have an idea, post it! :)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
BOOM HEADSHOT <-can i be the CSS player :)

I presume you are still going to have the explanations of the releases, jails, llamas etc.
We need to choose the right voice for this, I think a female voice would sound best, preferably someone without a strong accent just so people from across europe and american can still understand. A soothing and sexy voice will be best imo ;)
any takers?

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
The voice acting can come later, but the first person to take a role (as a voice actor, not the player!) can have it :) You need to duke it out yourselves who's gonna be the CS-er ;)

I started working on the movie, and it's going kinda crap ;)
For some reason demorec doesn't like matinees and also not freeview, so in order to get footage of a CTF, BR, ONS, AS and DM map we need to do it online. If there are any volunteers who want to help me with that then you get a chocolate chip cookie :)

I've started working on the movie itself, that's already working mostly. The cameras work, the pawns move, the pawns have the right model/skin, and the pawns don't go on a fragging frenzy but they actually listen :eek: :D
So now the only thing left to do is make the script fit with the pawns and the time needed :)

So now I need to implement the movie stuff into a map, and if it's allowed I'm going to use Divergence. I already sent Hazel an email (yes I could have asked it in here, but it needs to be very official ;) )

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Aersik should be the camping CS player :D can someone make him a little tent static mesh and camping stove... maybe some marshmallows too?

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
Hazel said:
Aersik should be the camping CS player :D can someone make him a little tent static mesh and camping stove... maybe some marshmallows too?

:lol: yes plz! :D

I want to show to you what you can do with unreal matinee, so I decided to put a link here of a matinee made by AngelMapper. People who use UED can see lots of funny jokes in here, but it should be fun for non-UED users as well.
http://angelmapper.com/infoeditorhasyou.htm
:D

Aersik

Turbo charged pogo stick
Feb 9, 2005
Hazel said:

Someone's on to me :eek:

Considering I've even been accused of camping in Guild Wars, that's not so surprising. Though personally I prefer camper vans over tents. They're dryer :D

Incidentally there is a PurePwnage UT2004 voicepack on their fun stuff page.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
imo:
- too much of a storyline. The movie wouldn't really reflect what JB is all about. Even though you put in all the aspects that JB has, I'm uncertain how the people watching it will receive all of it. Additionally, this is a rather fast-paced gametype and in this state your movie won't reflect that.
- don't try anything with matinee. You won't be done in half a year. I'm sure we can try to get some more people to work on this. Me and head still have a few contacts who might wanna help out as well. Besides, you don't really need 12 players. With some smart editing you should be able to fake more people.

I also had a script laying around here. It's more fragvid based, but it's divided in parts where another aspect of JB is highlighter. Will write it down some time here, but unfortunately I'm drowning in uni work until wednesday next week. :(

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
Well, since the idea was a movie AND a frag vid, the movie has to have a storyline ofcourse. The fragvid gets shown after the movie :)

Working with matinee actually goes quite smooth. The only thing I need to do now is time the dialogues since I don't have in-game voices that say such stuff. The pawns work quite well, and making a simple camera path isn't too hard (and no I'm not talking about flyby's but different shots). If all goes well I can be done in a month. The only problem is that I don't have a mic, so I have to improvise how long the dialogue of each sentence is. It's not that hard to extend stuff, so it shouldn't be a problem in the future.

The 12 player shot isn't nessecary anymore now. It was basically humans meet skaarj, but that can be scripted now ;)

About the fragvid script, if you have time could you please post it? Maybe I can add stuff from that into this movie as well :)

Good luck with your uni :(

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Vatcilli suggested some time ago making a small tutorial file [TUT-JB], explaining the main rules and so. Maybe if you like Matinee, you could take an official map (Heights?) and make a small sequence to get some practise with the movie. Then it could be added in the JB2004c release... ;)

The movie looks good so far. Please add subtitles, understanding English is not easy :p (with compressed audio it's even worse... :eek:).
I'd also recommend to convert the matinne work to a normal video file, (it has less filesize, hasn't it?), and not to focus on a single map... Teleport the characters to different places and explain each rule in each one of them. [More maps = More promotional] :D

RevBillyG said:
Pretty bad quality but its a fairly tiny file (1.8mb) Hehe, look at them old maps!
Nice video... And nice intro! :D Didn't know Babylon and IndusRage looked that way in UT...

Last edited: