JB-StalwartXLClassic

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
JB-StalwartXL

non-symmetrical maps for the win !! ;)

conversion from killbait!'s map dm-stalwartxlclassic

click to download, hf :)

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Vatcilli zeitchef

Dead and back
May 16, 2005
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Stalwart? :D

I remember that map, I liked playing it..
Is the origional music in it aswell?
Don't forget ;)

_________Edit___
Not sure about it being non-symmetrical....
I'll have to test it to see

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I don't like symetrical maps since they play much like TDM (IMO). This one works better than I expected, though.
My main dislike about the map is that there is very little z-action, just a few small stairs going up and down, and a few crates. The long sightlines can be a problem, too. You can easily get a KillingSpree with a LightingGun, as long as you keep the distance... The only idea I have is adding more crates around, that might block the sightlines a little more and it will add a bit more Z (you can jump on them... :D) It also would be interesting adding some dodgeramps beside the bigger boxes to allow players to stay on them more often.
For the placement... well you haven't worked on it yet. You know in JB you have paths to take and cover, so you can't waste much time going to ledges and crates to get more weaponry. I'd say move most of the weapons to the middle of paths and chokepoints where you can get them easily. Although the map is assymetrical, try to keep the weapon setup as symetrcal as possible; right now I think the Blue Switch is much easier to defend with the ShockRifle there. Try to keep the hitscan weapons far from the switch to prevent camping a little. The Minigun might be better removed, I'm not sure; and the 50shield would go to the middle [the Amp would need to be removed then... :hmm:]. For other pickups, move them farther from the corners, and leave the healthpacks for more interesting places. Vials and pills are IMO a better thing to put on/in crates... ;)
Good luck with the map, the execution is fun btw... :)

Last edited:

L4dy 4bys

Waiting in the dark
Jan 6, 2006
Netherlands *Sigh*
Lecter you seem to forget this is a remake and for that sake should be as close to the origional as possible.... can't check it out how it plays :/

was there a JB version of stalwartXL in UT99?

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
L4dy 4bys said:
this is a remake and for that sake should be as close to the origional as possible....
well the deathmatch map made by killbait! is actually the remake and it's very close to the original from ut99.

my version is just a conversion of this map to the jailbreak mod, i just keep the mapname. if there were any stalwart in jb99 ? who cares, i'm not trying to copy/redo another map ;) i basicly want a map wich plays fast and is not symmetrical :D

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
L4dy 4bys said:
Lecter you seem to forget this is a remake and for that sake should be as close to the origional as possible....
Yep, I know... That's the map conversions' dilemma: half of people want conversions as close to the original as possible, and the other half want them to evolve... :hmm:

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Great fun :D I don't mind if it's asymmetrical. This is one of my favourite maps from UT99. Have you thought about making the secret room an escape route exit?

I didn't look for bugs yet but noticed you can walk through the corner wall in the jails.

May 12, 2005
While the "killer bricks" are funny. It doesn't add to the classic mood. Maybe make those cameras i nthe secret area and away from the jails.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
A few more layout and placement suggestions: ;)
- It's a map full of long singhtlines and corner combat, so the Shock is definitely the only thing you need to pwn everyone... And it's right in the base, everyone will have it about the 5th second of each round. IMO the Shock should definitely go to the current RocketLauncher location, and either the RocketLauncher or the Flak would be the new base weapon.
- I don't like much the current weaponbase placement in both bases. Keep in mind at the begining of each round everyone will want to jump onto the crate/ledge to take the weapon... Too many people for such a small spot...
- There are 3 healths near the blue switch (2 hellbender + 1 corner), I only could find one in the red base. I'd say take out one of the hellbender healths and place another one where the shield was in the first beta, for instance... :rolleyes:
- Move the healthpack from the RL room to a little more visible place, still among the boxes if you want...
- The 100Keg is too much IMO, and the 50shield is just a few steps farther so... Move the 50shield inside the crate and remove the Keg?
- There are a few vials and pills that currently are in corners. I think it's better placing them along the corridors. Yep, I say this very often, but I can't find any reason that explains why 3 vials are placed at each side of a hallway... :p
- The secret room isn't very suitable for JB, IMO. It's a good hiding place even though it has 2 entrances, and there's a lot of goodies inside, which are nearer the blue base...
Hope that will help! :tup:

Last edited:

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
a secret room? Something like a jail? :D

Would be cool perhaps. Have a small room which shuts down when someone enters. The only way to get out is by someone hitting some button (in jail?). After 30 seconds, gas/fire is released, taking health from the trapped guy. The room should not be some sort of secundary jail btw.

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
G.Lecter said:
It's a map full of long singhtlines and corner combat, so the Shock is definitely the only thing you need to pwn everyone... And it's right in the base, everyone will have it about the 5th second of each round. IMO the Shock should definitely go to the current RocketLauncher location, and either the RocketLauncher or the Flak would be the new base weapon.
swapped rl with shock.
G.Lecter said:
I don't like much the current weaponbase placement in both bases. Keep in mind at the begining of each round everyone will want to jump onto the crate/ledge to take the weapon... Too many people for such a small spot...
i do like it this way and it wont be changed.
G.Lecter said:
There are 3 healths near the blue switch (2 hellbender + 1 corner), I only could find one in the red base. I'd say take out one of the hellbender healths and place another one where the shield was in the first beta, for instance... :rolleyes:
second hellbender health removed. no need for a second health in the red base because this base is easier to defend than the blue base.
G.Lecter said:
Move the healthpack from the RL room to a little more visible place, still among the boxes if you want...
done
G.Lecter said:
The 100Keg is too much IMO, and the 50shield is just a few steps farther so... Move the 50shield inside the crate and remove the Keg?
done
G.Lecter said:
There are a few vials and pills that currently are in corners. I think it's better placing them along the corridors.
same as with weapon placement ;)
G.Lecter said:
The secret room isn't very suitable for JB, IMO. It's a good hiding place even though it has 2 entrances, and there's a lot of goodies inside, which are nearer the blue base...
disagree. true you can hide there, but it's the job of the opponent team to find you in order to kill you. and then, this room isnt really that suited for hiding purposes.
G.Lecter said:
Hope that will help! :tup:
;) no new beta for this though.

no bugs ? :eek:

May 12, 2005
I dunno but, the scorpion in the garage seems a bit big. That's not a problem but you may want to make it stock size. Just for it to seem authentic.