1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JB-Nyx

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Maps and Add-Ons' started by INIQUITOUS, Sep 13, 2005.

1. INIQUITOUS

INIQUITOUS Purple Monkey DishWasher

Hi guys and gals! this is my new map for jailbreak, its taken sometime and i need your help to get it done :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

known issues :

no ambient sounds
    no panorama
    no music
    no execution sequence (need help thinking of 1)
    no loading screen or previews
    1 tiny line bsp in red base on floor
    can get behind some meshes in bases
    lines in skybox (think im going to try and make my own)

i mainly need help with ideas for bot pathing, should i give them defend points and attack paths? is it a spam fest? are they getting stuck anywhere? things like that ;) , also would appreciate any help or ideas about weapons and placement.

and if anyone knows a good way to optimize the fps, if some one could take a look at where antiportals might be needed,that sort of thing ;)

enjoy and i hope you all like it :)

download here :http://www.evolved-systems.net/files/INIQUITOUS/JB-Nyx-beta.zip

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  2. G.Lecter

G.Lecter Registered Tester

The first shot looks very Divergence-ish... :p (with different textures).
    Nah, looks preety good. Another one to check out tomorrow... :)
    [Edit:] I've just gotten it... and now you remove the link? What kind of sign is this? :lol:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  3. INIQUITOUS

lol when i added it hazel noticed a mesh texture problem so i had to remove the link and redo it. but it should all be working now :) hehe im honoured if you think it looks divergence -ish, becus i think that map is sooo fricken cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Vatcilli zeitchef

Vatcilli zeitchef Dead and back

I'll take a look at it aswell,
    Shots look cool.:)

_____Edit____
    Took it for a run

Please put in some music I can't take the silence.
    (as with the first map you made)

You should have at least put in a death cam before sending it or have
    called it the Alpha, for Beta means ready but not tested.
    Right now I get the annoying You have been executed message
    after I capture the enemy.

also it looks all enemies take the same route

The thing about the skybox is the texture either being
    Misaligned or too small.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  5. G.Lecter

Tested it this morning:
    > The layout needs some changes IMO:
    - The paths are fairly well thought, but the possible z-axis gameplay is nearly zero.
    - I also feel the map too symetrical, left and right sides could be different… ;)
    - The size of the hallways is a bit cramped, and that’s a problem since lots of fights take place there… Consider scaling up the whole map a bit…
    - The big stones in the stair-rooms should be removed, they stop all my dodges… :mad:
    > Jails and arena don’t fit with the map, and the bots rarely take the teleporters to get out of them… There is no camera execution or it doesn’t work.
    > The visuals are going good:
    - Good meshwork, not-so-good brushwork. The bigger rooms still feel like cubes… :p; the hallways are well shaped though.
    - Lighting still needs some tweaks, especially in the blue base. You also can add soft coronas in the holes in the ceilings like Zed did in JB-Relic. ;) More shadows could do a good work; make the main lighting come from outside.
    - I don’t like some textures at all (I assume you know which ones are. Sorry, not enough time to shoot each one now…).
    > About weapon pickups, I can’t say very much because it’s a symetrical map.
    - There are too many ammo pickups, and lots of them and vials are placed too near the walls/corners (why everyone want players to get stuck? :()
    - 2 BioRifles so close to each other don’t make sense; add only one in the middle. ;)

6. INIQUITOUS

ok thanks, alot to answer there form both of you. here goes....

yeah the beta thing. it was almost ready i thought, just needed an execution idea. thats what i need your help with. need ideas guys and girls!! no point putting a camera in i thought until its got something to look at. :(

the music, lol my first map had music, you must be thinking of my second :) i just totallt forgot about it on that map, because i dont play with music on and i just forgot! dont worry tho this one will have music! you can count on that ;)

the skybox. i did say i was gonna change it, definately if i cant fix the bottom bit of it, and ive looked at the texture laods. it is actually made up of several smaller cubes and on their own , none of them match but when all put together they do line up, but u can see the lines. i dont understand it. but im trying to make my own anyway :)

i dont think ill be scaling up the map. i wanted it to be small. about it being too symetrical, do you mean that you have two rooms at the sides and they ar the same layout more or less? if so yeah ill look into changing one side :) but i dont see how i can do it without causing great big bsp errors. the tunnels, because they are so complex shape they cause big errors alot. i could possibly make one side alot wider with different htings in it, mayb a weapon at the end or sumthing.

i really like the big stones. but maybe because the size of the room is too small for them? but they look really nice i think. mayb after i change one side so it isnt symetrical they wil only be in one side ;) the new bigger side :p

ive never seen the botd not get out on these last few versions...il have to go check that out. hmm. all over the map im using the same texture pacakge and mesh pack so i dont know how it couldnt go? and i think its new and original idea for an arena and jails to be laid out like that :) any alternative ideas maybe?

ill see what i can do to make the 3 bigger rooms more hhm.. organic and round!

lighting. yeah id love to make it more dark and shadowy but then you get hundreds of people complaining saying "its too dark, im scared" or "people can hide in the shadows" etc... a fine balance... but ill look into it.

yeah ok too much ammo. i wanted advice on what weapons to use and where to put them. like for example..should i remove the shock? is it not good having shock and link so close? things like that :)

yeah the bio rifle . ahh my fave weapon :) i did only hav t in the middle at first but because its onto of glass, from below u can see through the weapon base and you can see inside the mesh, i hate that. any ideas how i could fix that or work around it?

thanks. il get onto working on some of these probs straight away!

7. Aersik

Aersik Turbo charged pogo stick

There is a major exploit in the jails which is shown in the demo.

The only thing I'd suggest that hasn't already been mentioned is to turn off collisions on the lights in the corridors. At the moment it's possible to hit your head on them when dodging down the corridor, and bumping my head on stuff hanging from the ceiling has always been one of my pet hates.

Attached Files:

8. INIQUITOUS

ok!

here is the changes made in this version of the alpha! hehe.

i changed lighting a bit, there is now more shadows :)

it has music! and sounds!

the bots shouldnt get stuck any longer. it was a matter of the movers being in the wrong key when i build paths. but all ok now :)

removed some ammo and put only one bio over the glass.

fixed Aersik's little jail escape escapade! (i hope lol)

taken off the collision so u dont bang ur head anymore :p

some texture changes.

me and my friend was talking about my map and we like the layout as it is now and we know that if we mess with the bsp it wil cause errors because of the tunnels we think. the stone pillar was giving you trouble lector? u do know u can double jump over it. or dodge over it , its not very big, stop walking into it!!! lol heres the link for the new apha :) tell me what ya think. altho keep in mind the layout probably wont change :(

http://www.evolved-systems.net/files/INIQUITOUS/JB-Nyx-alpha.zip

looking mainly for problems with bots,weapons,ammo and fps :)

9. Killavirus

Killavirus New Member

Ooooh sleek :D

Man i gotta come back here more often :)

10. Vatcilli zeitchef

I can't view the demo4 file what do I need?

About the execution how about loads and loads of gasbags?

11. INIQUITOUS

oh yeah i added cameras in the jails too . stil no execution tho ..

too view the demo, put it in your ut demo folder. then play the game. go to community. and go to demo's. in there if you click it, it will tell you what files you need to play it, if you need any. :)

12. Vatcilli zeitchef

Ah thanks.
    That's what happens if you get your ut2004 without a
    handbook or readme, I'll check it out.
    Ehm no demo folder.

_____edit_____
    never mind, don't have it? Make it!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  13. INIQUITOUS

yeah ive got two installations of it and one of them (the one i use to map with) doesnt have a demos folder, it must get created when you make your first demo. try creating a new folder called "Demos" ;)

oh just saw your edit after i posted lol

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  14. Vatcilli zeitchef

Map really looks great only one thing with the jails, it looks kinda strange
    if you die immediathly when you jump off and Your corpse hangs in mid air only some inches below the platform.
    Exploit seems fixed, though it was a nice escape route:(

15. G.Lecter

Very few changes in second beta, I would rewrite my last post again... :D
    Some more things:
    - I still think the layout needs changes. Now this could be called something like JB-Cyanide². :lol: You should make one of the sides a bit different (there are maps with much more complex BSP without bugs in them, so don't be afraid about that... ;)). I also miss a way to fall from the BioRifle foom to the Flak room (no, the jumpad hole is not enough for me...)
    - Place a weaponbase mesh down the BioRifle base and mirror it vertically to fix the glitch.
    - No, the stone shouldn't be there. You have a fairly open room, with that mesh there, it's just another cramped area. The lamps over the stones still have collision... :con:
    - Add a bit more link ammo.
    - The jails are too annoying with so much invisible collision around them. Blue execution camera shows the red jail... For the execution, you could use flying monsters, I don't know what else would fit in them...
    - I assume you have permission for the music... :p
    Keep on it! :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  16. INIQUITOUS

ok things i fixed

-skybox
    -jail camera tags
    -assault paths and defence points
    -the thingy where u die and hang in mid air
    -weapon base prob

i wont upload another alpha yet tho until i do some more major changes. i did only take off one ammo pick up you know....you say with one more its too much so i take off 1, now u say too little? lol i did try and find whoever made the music but i couldnt lol XD.
    so the main thing u want to see changed lector is one of the side rooms? wel il try but if i get a thousand bsp errors and my ed crashes im coming to find u! hehe

oh yeah about the jails... wel stop trying to jump off them! lol. i could take away all the collision except for whats stopping you from getting to the exit of corse...and see what thats like :)

17. INIQUITOUS

oh yeah. whats causing all the bsp errors is when i move around zone portals. inside the tunnles. so im afraid to move the tunnels, so il try n extend one side and do some stuff with it :)

18. INIQUITOUS

ok i fixed this now :

-the collision in the jails (i hope :) )
    loads of other tiny things.........
    but mainly ive changed one side room side lector suggested on the blue crystal side and need you to tell me what you think now lector :) if its all good then i can make it the same on the red side :)

do you think i should add more deco in the jails? maybe some crystals and mushrooms?

heres the new link :)

http://www.evolved-systems.net/files/INIQUITOUS/JB-Nyx-alpha3.zip

19. INIQUITOUS

ok ive been at it all night because after i changed one room i got addicted :p so i changed two rooms.

ive changed both rooms now, hope you like them :) ive played with the lighting some more :) moved a few things around (i think lector will be happy now :) ) and basically loads of tiny things i cant list here...but it took me hours!!! i have two probs at the mo.

1. you can see a mesh through the skybox :( how can i get rid of or hide it? a cull distance wouldnt work because its visible from far away in othe parts of the map, i took a screeny to show u.
    2.a lighting prob on a mesh...i just couldnt fix it tonight and i wanted to upload this version for u :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

downlaod new version here :) :http://www.evolved-systems.net/files/INIQUITOUS/JB-Nyx-alpha4.zip

20. Hans Oberlander

Hans Oberlander Member

Hey, cool map.

1. The palm trees when looking outside the windows disapear at certian angles
    2. You can stan on top on arena
    3. Can you make the bottom of the jail area a bit longer so u dont slam into the invisiable floor?