JB-Crusher

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Aersik

Turbo charged pogo stick
Feb 9, 2005
mmmm...spamtastic :D :tup:

The only possible exploit I could find was with the big team coloured stained glass windows. While I'm a great fan of being able to stand on window ledges, I'm not so keen on being able to walk through the windows themselves. This happens in both the jail windows and the big windows in the main map. However, very few people will be getting up there as it requires a fair amount of shield-jumping. I also noticed the pegasus statues have no collisions. Anyway, to get back to the normal realm of play... :D

For the team textures, the only thing i could think of would be to replace the rock textures circled in screenshot #3 with red/blue textures as a clearer indicator. (That screenshot is also taken standing on a ledge that is probably the easiest way to reach the top of the level.)

The only other nicety I would suggest is to add a little more height to the jump pads, so you can get directly to the lock if you double jump at its height, as in CTF/JB-Chrome.

Gotta say, I really like the arena. I don't know what you've done to those walls, but it felt like the whole platform was moving up constantly while it was swinging. Almost enough to make me fall off without an opponent. :)

Attachments

• crusherthroughjailwindow.jpg
    crusherthroughjailwindow.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 20
  • crusherthroughmainwindow.jpg
    crusherthroughmainwindow.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 18
  • crusherledge.jpg
    crusherledge.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 20

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
Cheers for the feedback :)

The only possible exploit I could find was with the big team coloured stained glass windows. While I'm a great fan of being able to stand on window ledges, I'm not so keen on being able to walk through the windows themselves. This happens in both the jail windows and the big windows in the main map. However, very few people will be getting up there as it requires a fair amount of shield-jumping. I also noticed the pegasus statues have no collisions. Anyway, to get back to the normal realm of play...

Consider it done.

For the team textures, the only thing i could think of would be to replace the rock textures circled in screenshot #3 with red/blue textures as a clearer indicator. (That screenshot is also taken standing on a ledge that is probably the easiest way to reach the top of the level.)

Damn! Why didn't I think of that :)

The only other nicety I would suggest is to add a little more height to the jump pads, so you can get directly to the lock if you double jump at its height, as in CTF/JB-Chrome.

I actually did this on purpose. Being able to jump straight to the lock would make releasing easier than it already is (and it's already pretyy damn easy;)). I could see too many stalemates happening.

Gotta say, I really like the arena. I don't know what you've done to those walls, but it felt like the whole platform was moving up constantly while it was swinging. Almost enough to make me fall off without an opponent.

I've got this thing about vomit-inducing arenas. I dunno, maybe I'm just twisted ;) Shame I couldn't get the weapon spawns to stick to the mover though (bStatic didn't work), you'll just have to make do with assault and shield ;)

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
At the end of a lockdown match ... everyone will be flak monkey :crazydance:
Im glad the crusher isnt just one touch and die ... now its crushes like it should :)

1: Have alook at the bot`s defence, they are happy enough to let me walk close and zoom with sniper to pop that zit the easy way :con:
2: Bots like standing in the jail teleporter...i got a double kill somehow
loco7qd.gif

3: I think i saw a way to use that teleporter to avoid being pancaked, with abit of timing..but i hope you thought of that :p
4: have alook at the arena spawn zones...my first arena started with the bot falling to his doom :rolleyes:

I love the pictures around the corners Rev...creepy but cool :)
But i still dont like the flak style of the level :eek: Just abit too spammy for my liking
iconuglyhammer8jk.gif

Those ledges up top look a prime spot for a sniper walk way :biggrin2:

Boost

Dragon Lady
Apr 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
RevBillyG said:
Ok, beta1 is here. I played with Boost the other day, seems to be jolly good fun :) Flak lovers will jump with joy :rolleyes: You can also ride the crusher (if you're careful!)

Yeah it was great fun playing Crusher with you seeing it is my favorite map. :D You complained a few times running into my flak!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wait till you get to the JELP me and Angie will enjoy hearing you groan.

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
Stuff:

Added blocking volumes to the windows, elephants and horses.
Added Loading screen.
Removed the nasty flags ;)
Changed some trim colours to team colurs.
Added Screenshots.
Added music.
Added ambient sound to arena.
Fixed the nasty lighting on the lifts. \o/
Added AI defence scripts for bots.
Fixed texture screwup on the crusher.

Needed:

Could someone write me a decent level summary? I'm not so good at that. :/

4: have alook at the arena spawn zones...my first arena started with the bot falling to his doom
That does happen occasionally I'm afraid. Although it's pretty rare thankfully :)

3: I think i saw a way to use that teleporter to avoid being pancaked, with abit of timing..but i hope you thought of that
It probably is possible but it's hard and the default death gets you in the end :)

2: Bots like standing in the jail teleporter...i got a double kill somehow
Yup, you probably did. I did that on purpose (think JB-Chrome funnage ;))

Thanks for the feedback TB. I know you don't like spammy maps (I remember you not liking the original much) but,well, Crusher without spam wouldn't be Crusher :)

I'll upload the latest version tonight.
Would be nice if I had a level summary by then ;)

Last edited:

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Okey dokey. Ready? :)
  • Lighting. Have a look at those candles. There should be a brigter spot near the wall which they're on. Do this with a high-brightness and low-radius light placed on the flame.
  • Place something to make it apparent that there are jump pads in the crusher pit. The emitter isnt always visible if you're in there.
  • Please remove the teleporter in the jail.
    RevBillyG said:
    think JB-Chrome funnage
    I think JB-Chrome sillyness personally ;)
  • I noticed that during the execution, the first "block" to come down is the one directly in front of the camera. Thus, you cant clearly see anything that goes on around the blocks next to the door. Make the crushers work towards the camera (or at the bare minimum, make the front one crush last).
  • Make some more obvious BSP trim around the pictures and the "flame grates".
  • Have a look in Grendelkeep (and Basmma) for a perfect arch staticmesh which you could use on the lower-level flame pit things... or make your own. But definitely put something to trim around there.
  • Putting the Surveillance cameras behind grates looks a bit crap. I'd move them out and put the traditional overlay around them.
  • The panoramic map could be much bigger and better. You dont need the jails on the map, so zoom in as far as possible, ignoring the jails, and take a better map picture.
  • Make the BSP behind the lifts a bit brighter... maybe put some decoration there... maybe a stained glass window. If you put something there, put some lightsources around it, and that will make the lifts look normal.
  • Turn down the ambient sound volume a bit. *If you're clever* (;)) you could try and set it up where the "squeak" is played while the crusher is swinging. Obviously, in real life, swinging things dont squeak when they are momentarily stationary at the top of the swings.
  • Make the jail doors lighting look normal. One of them has some very dark surfaces.
  • Put some variety in the tall column textures, or maybe trim them with a traditional corner brick static mesh (again, like in Grendelkeep).
  • The lifts stay "open" for far too long. I'd say that they should only stay up for 2 seconds before returning. Crusher is about speed, and hanging about for 4 seconds while the lift is open is... well... asking for Boost to run up to you with a flak cannon :hmm: ... but she'll still need 2 shots xD
  • Where the chain of the crusher goes into the ceiling, put a bar or something across to make it look like something is actually holding the crusher up.
  • Possible level description 1:
    Oh dear
  • Possible level description 2:
    Flak cannons are situated on the left side of the lower level of each base.
  • Possible level description 3:
    Upon discovery of the first true example of perpetual motion, Liandri knew that the Crusher was the perfect place for a small Jailbreak venue.
    While the Crusher's perpetual motion ensures it will keep going forever, players are recommended to keep going too if they want to stay alive...
I'm glad that most things have already been pointed out ;)

Last edited:

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
Possible level description 2:
Flak cannons are situated on the left side of the lower level of each base.

This actually made me LOL. :lol:

Cheers m8, I'll get to work :)

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
RevBillyG said:
Could someone write me a decent level summary? I'm not so good at that.

As I've only seen screenshots and not played it, a bit hard...
but if you tell me where it's set and any other detail (like what's that big hanging thingy), I"ll have a go. (My friend with UT2k4 is busy playing Settlers today...)

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
After poking around the map in the editor:
  • The windows in the jail have a transparent BSP surface. While admitedly these dont directly create a problem, it is possible (in editor anyway) to see the arena pendulum if you look the right way. Do what you've done to the main windows in the map to those in the jail.
  • To clarify the lights, you do this by making a giant leap and placing not one, but two light actors :eek:. Place one right on top of the flame, with a high brightness and low radius, and then place another a little distance away from the light, with a low brightness and comparatively high radius (typically 32 for indoors).
  • Put a door frame in around the jail doors.
  • Give the flames behind the grates in the pillars a staticmesh base of some sort.
  • If you insist on the jail teleporter, give it a suitable base. Copy one from another map if necessary, but the health pickup base isnt appropriate.
  • Give the Crusher pit a rim of another BSP texture, like you've done for the walkway.
  • The small lightbox textures need to be double-sided. Currently they're only single-sided. Give the main windows a lightbox too.
  • Is it really necessary for all those occasional really loud and random ambient sounds to be played? In particular the "torture" one and the really weird "noise".
  • While it seems ok for the kinda "warrior" statues... are elephants really suitable in here?
Just a little more for you to think about :)

Feb 18, 2005
can you fix this

also. in the first beta i was able to go through the teleporter and go through the alternate escape. now the door won't open :|

Last edited:

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
A Jailbreak fan said:
can you fix this

also. in the first beta i was able to go through the teleporter and go through the alternate escape. now the door won't open :|

The teleporter isn't an alternate escape. It's there to take you to a viewing room so you can see better what's going on in the map.

I've removed the superhealthpack from that jump. I'm not going to put jump pads there though as it's a very easy jump.

I'm working on Beta3 now :)

gunhero

Banned
Jan 30, 2005
Edmonton, AB, Canada
what he meant is to put the healthpickup higher so they would be boosted higher so it doesnt go through the crusher. however i don't think that a small map like this needs a 100+ health pickup.