1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JB-Collateral

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Maps and Add-Ons' started by Hazel.H, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Aersik

Aersik Turbo charged pogo stick

Like this one a lot :). The outside lift can still be used to get on the roof, and I think I can get up there using the jumppad near the minigun and a shock combo, but I'm too lazy to get it perfect at the moment :eek:. Incidentally, the lifts in the centre room are powerful enough to reach a third level, though I can't think of any decent way of implementing one, so, umm....ignore that.

I think the little yellow flying bits look a bit odd, mainly because it looks like people in flying cars have their headlights on while its still rather light. Night would make more sense for that. And I still think a floating castle would be cool :D.

2. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

I want a floating castle too. :(

Agreed on the point about the flashes in the sky..... atm they are just plain weird

3. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

Ok then you win, I will make it more floating castle-ish :p :D

I've found some textures I like. I really didn't like the albatross textures or the base texture that was on the walls. Here are some screens of the visuals in progress ;)

c_screen1.jpg c_screen2.jpg c_screen3.jpg

4. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

In that third pic the texture will look a lot better lined up with the bridge rather than at a slight angle.

5. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

Alpha 4

I have exams next week :( so here is another alpha. Nothing is really "finished", just progressing :D - I started to get the meshes and lighting in. Moved the shock rifle to the flak cannon, flak cannon to the minigun, removed the minigun altogether and placed a bio rifle near the jail exit. I hope it's a bit less spammy now ;)

c_alpha4_1.jpg c_alpha4_2.jpg c_alpha4_3.jpg

http://www.hazelwhorley.com/downloads/jb-collateral-alpha4.zip

EDIT: oops! forgot to mention it has custom music now

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  6. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Wow nice progress in visuals.

Looking very cool, love the theme so far.
    The music is excellent.

I presume you know that the custom flower-like meshs have no collision.
    I like the door movers they look good, Think they need more of a door frame around them.

ps what exams you got?
    I got 6 over the next 2 weeks

7. L4dy 4bys

L4dy 4bys Waiting in the dark

Looks nice :) Too bad my computer can't run ut2k4...
    I'll try it when I'm at Vat's place this afternoon ;)

8. G.Lecter

G.Lecter Registered Tester

Nice, nice! :) Where have you learnt to make such cool emitters? :tup:
    - The grey shiny texture the 'flower' meshes are using doesn't look very nice for me, try to use any greenish one, like the texture used for the plants in Desolation...
    - I love how the doors work, but having them only in some places is quite pointless. Either add them at every doorway, or remove them... I'd say remove, I like how the sightlines work now... And a floating building open to the sky with small doors does nt make much sense for me...
    - The LightingGun platform doesn't promise a very nice look... :hmm: And the low floor in the centre building looks too flat (needs a kind of stairs as is was done in the base...)
    - Lift speed needs to be toned down in all the lifts, the liftjumps are way too strong. The bots always fail when they try to do them... :p
    - Try to make the walldodge BioRifle->Walkway easier. Yeah, it's possible to do as it's now, but you have to be too careful, and if you fail you die, which is unfair IMO...
    - The big 'flower' over the jails could be a escape route: It periodically would become a teleporter (a stronger emitter would indicate that), which would be taken by making a ladder. If shield jumping is an exploit, you could add a watervolume on the floor. I think that stops any shield jump...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  9. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

Beta 1

Sorry for the lack of updates ;) I've been busy working on the map this week, here's the beta version for you:
    collateral_beta_scr1.jpg collateral_beta_scr2.jpg collateral_beta_scr3.jpg collateral_beta_scr4.jpg

http://www.hazelwhorley.com/downloads/jb-collateral-beta1.zip

Known issues so far...
    - Pathing problem (if you enable translocators) where bots get stuck translocating from the middle of the base to the lock
    - No panorama / loading screen / description
    - The upper door from the middle to the red base sometimes gets stuck open (no idea what causes this)
    - Screenshots aren't great :p
    - A minor zone portal error (thanks INI ;))

EDIT: latest version - http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=1997110&postcount=36

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  10. G.Lecter

- Looks good. I still don't like the LightingGun platform and those doors only at some places... The lighting on the doors sucks :p, once I heard Sjosz something about using SpecialLit on movers to make them look much better, have a look to his DOM-DMP-Dissipate... ;)
    - I like the layout in the arena, but having all the weapons just beside the PlayerStart does not make the best of it, right now it's just a race for the Shield. I think it might be better having only 3 weps, one beside each the PlayerStart, the Shock inside on the high floor, and another one.. I don't know where... 2 healthpacks outside, one at each corner... that might work well.
    - The bots still fail when they try to liftjump at every lift. This might fix it:
    · Move the LiftCenter actors nearer the lift edges.
    · Add a small DelayTime to the lifts, hardly noticeable (like .075) The bots seem to liftjump much better if they are not moving when the lift starts going up... :D
    - Don't forget putting the JailCameras in order.
    - For the Translocator bug, try setting a higher value in JumpSpot->TranslocZOffset...
    - Found a BSP error:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  11. L4dy 4bys

L4dy 4bys Waiting in the dark

I wanna try.. I need a better laptop :(

12. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

Thanks Lecter ;)

I have already used special lit on the doorways, but they still don't light well and if I remove it they go very bright. Strange the bots always make the lift jumps when I tested it :confused: which difficulty did you test them at?

What do you think would make the lightning gun platform look better / what isn't good about it?

Might change the arena too :) nice suggestions, I wanted it to feel kinda like TAM but maybe that isn't going to work :p I was thinking of changing it to something a bit like dm-healpod from Unreal and UT99

13. Vatcilli zeitchef

Vatcilli zeitchef Dead and back

Ohh noooes please don't :lol:
    And 2k4 :p
    http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=7612

Anyways I like the new texturing ;).
    The bots work fine here too exept they still too often follow a straight line to the enemy base. But hey it's a beta, the particle effect seems a bit odd... looks more like some kind of space battle, but has some interresting effect too. :D

I'd like to try this one online :)

14. G.Lecter

I usually play Masterful so I can frag them quite easily in unknown maps... ;)
    Ehmm... I don't know... It looks like it's floating, without any kind of support, and I don't like that it becomes diagonal just beside the doors... :rolleyes:

Forgot saying:
    - This is much a personal dislike... Can you move the RL and RLammo a bit farther from the walls? :D
    - The buildings don't really look like they're floating, It might be cool having some kind of 'boost' emitters bellow each structure...

15. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Great map Hazel :)

Just some tiny things:
    When I look up close the the doors, the small top surface has ugly texturing.
    Looking at the doors from further away, the way the texture is the same on each bar looks a bit like it's just bad texture repeating at first. Do you think it's worth creating a few texture modifiers so the different meshes can have a slightly differerent variation of the same texture -- just panned along a bit.
    The lifts in the central area could do with staying up a tiny bit longer. If I get on them at the far end I don't have time to get off them at the top.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  16. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

Here's beta 2 :)
    jb-collateral-beta2.zip

Changes:
    - Jail monitors
    - Minor visual and lighting fixes / additions
    - Added a panorama, description, and loading screen
    - Fixed the lift jumps for bots
    - Added more antiportals
    - Fixed the zone portal bug
    - Arena weapon placement​

I had a few problems with botpathing, so I'd like to know if the bots are still getting stuck ;) I will put some triggered fearspots on the outdoor lifts to stop bots jumping over the edge. Do you think the arena timing is ok?

Edit: Does anyone know how to get LimitationVolumes working online? They work perfectly offline, but online they only block the translocator and not projectiles :(

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  17. Vatcilli zeitchef

Vatcilli zeitchef Dead and back

Nice :)
    Ill take a good look at it ^^

18. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

New door texturing looks ace, panorama is excellent (nice idea with the arrows showing jumps!).
    I managed to find a hiding spot in the arena -- I jumped off onto one of the side towers and there was a ledge. But hiding in the arena is kinda stupid anyway, so don't bother about it :)

19. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Speechless. Haven't seen this since it was in its alpha stages, busy in reallife recently. But its awesome. Just gave it a 15min whirl and its the most fun I've had in SP on UT2004 for ages.....

Can't think of anything I don't like about it, Bots put up an excellent fight too.

20. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

There is a tiny ledge on one side of the tower, for some reason you can stand there even though there's a blocking volume. I fixed it so it damages you if you stand on the ledge. Are there any more bugs? If not I'm ready to release the map.