1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JB-Atlantis By AcidBurn

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Maps and Add-Ons' started by Vatcilli zeitchef, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Vatcilli zeitchef

Vatcilli zeitchef Dead and back

Some days ago Acydburn started on a conversion of one of the
    classic DOM maps. Hate it or like it, the map she chose was
    DOM-Atlantis. It has made a lot of progress since using the drowning
    execution made famous in JB-Grudge2 It is really starting to be a
    great conversion. Drop by test it and return with
    comments to help Acyd perfectionize it.:)

___Edit___
    The map is finished :)
    Nalicity link

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  2. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

So far so good. Great execution, would try and change the emmiters, having the "filling up with water" emmiter on all the time makes you think why isn't it filling up? Either have it off except when the room is flooding or have a drain at the bottom that will close of when the execution starts.
    IMO the jaildoors would look better if the opened downwards, looks strange seeing it stick out the top of the level.

Personally Loosing a route to the switch because the jail is there is annoying, guess I'l have to live with that though.

Its a bit to easy perhaps to get to the switch and release along the top route. (recalls how easy it was to stop a Domination score on the map)

Overall this map reminds me of some great times I had playing DDOM, thankyou!

3. AcydBurn

AcydBurn New Member

Thanks, Head. I had the same feeling as Atlantis is one of my favorite Dom maps also. Losing those two routes was a minor trade off. The way the map is constructed it is real moody about adding additional rooms directly to the central core of the map so I had to settle for available space. Still having problems with the emitters in the jails and the water in the arena. Hope to have it fixed soon. Please post any other ideas or thoughts you may have on making it a better JB map. I will work on those doors (that's an easy one). :)

4. Vatcilli zeitchef

Updated.... It's all there Acyd.
    With the drown arena.;)
    Try it guys. You won't regret it.

5. G.Lecter

G.Lecter Registered Tester

I've been playing it a little. Still some work to do [IMO] and some ideas: ;)
    > Map:
    - The middle area feels too cramped. In DOM it's not very important, but in JB everyone often focus there and it's not very fun... Try to make that area and the down cave passages wider...
    - The bots just go straightly and all them together. Spread the playerstarts much more and AssaultPath actors to make the bots take different routes to the switch [remove also the assaultpaths from the original DOM map].
    - Too many ammo pickups beside the RocketLauncher and The Flak. I think one is enough (and another one in a different place).
    - I don't like very much the red and blue lights near the switches and jails. A better way of giving different colours to each bide is changing the colour of all those yellow coronas to red/blue. I've tried it and looks cool [set the brightness of the coronas to 0 and lower their saturation to 64 after changing their colours ;)]
    > Execution:
    - The walls are water... I think the execution would rock if you made the drowning effect with the walls instead of rising the water from the floor...
    - You have forgotten turning off the water emitters when the WaterVolume covers them...
    - I don't like the scream sounds very much, one when the players die is onough IMO...
    > Arena:
    - Needs some weapons. Place one on the first floor and more in the higher ones.
    - Remove the Keg and some ammo, the Shield would be better at the 2nd or 3rd floor, and add maybe the Amp on one of the highest floors...
    - Visually it looks too simple, it would be better much wider, with wider walkways too [the ramps are misaligned with the floors btw], try to avoid the cubish shape [which can be done well with meshes], make the walls as FluidSurfaces...
    - The bots are being a problem because they don't understand how the drowning works. It would be difficult to path, you'd need to trigger the paths with scripted triggers, and door actors... Maybe it's not worth doing that... Anyway I will have a look to this if I find some free time... :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  6. AcydBurn

AcydBurn New Member

Update

Took all the "suggestions" into consideration. Worked on the pathing and assault patterns. Bots are behaving much better, not optimum but better. Opened up the center as far as the original construction would allow. This map is difficult at best to change so reconstruction is limited without major changes and I don't care to do major changes. I added two more accessways that were previously closed off.

I completely changed the arena but getting the water to work in the arena is proving to be a nightmare. I did not want to put any additional weapons in the arena. I wanted the arena to provide a change up to some old fashion shield and assault weapon scrapping.

On the execution: making the walls work on a water execution is not proving to be very effective as the volume must cover the players feet to work properly. I am not skilled enough with emitters or scripts to make the walls collapse into waves of water. I can see it but implementing it is something entirely different so I will stay within the limitation of my current skill level.

I finally got the water emitters to turn off and on but they still run as long as the mover is in motion.

Would appreciate additional feedback on the changes.

Added a panorama.

Will pass map on to Vat as soon as I finish some additional clean ups.

7. G.Lecter

Come on, time to get new skills! :) I think it's not so hard, you just must do the drowning effect in both jail-walls instead of doing it in the floor. You have already the fluidsurfaces [which is the difficult part], now add 2 watervolumes, add 2 movers, attach, etc... Try it... if it doesn't look/work well just come back to the old execution and that's all... But don't be afraid of doing complex things... ;)

Waiting for the new beta... :)

8. AcydBurn

AcydBurn New Member

Been there, done just that, was very dissapointed with the results and went back to the original of water rising from the floor. That is what I meant by staying within my skill level. Besides, if I was afraid of new things, I would not have undertaken the project in the first place but nonetheless I actually like the water rising from the floor.

I am still working with the collapsing walls though but in a copy of the map. That and the fish emitter. I haven't given up it just annoying me right now.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  9. Vatcilli zeitchef

Those fish emmiters how are they suppose to work?
    Spawn fish in jail?

10. G.Lecter

I think there are some good fish emitters in CTF-CBP2-Deep and CTF-UCMP-Aquatica. You could take them from these levels and give credit to their authors... ;)

11. Vatcilli zeitchef

What you mean are the sharks swimming arround, Don't you?
    Those are not Emitters and they are in a lot of maps,
    Acyd already mentioned she did not really like those sharks.
    The only other emitters in those maps are bubbles and steam.

Ah found them Acyd pointed them out.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  12. AcydBurn

AcydBurn New Member

Hi Community,

Still working on getting the map just so. Had to step away from my mapping activities due to serious illness in my family but I'm back on the project again. I hope to be able to post the next beta update within the next few days. Thanks for the lead on the fish emitters GL. The ones in Aquatica were perfect (well almost - fresh water tropicals vs. salt water tropicals (my pref) but the good thing is I may be ables to change the sprites to reflect some salt water fish shots that I have.) I am working on animating some mermaid shots that I have too. Maybe someone can explain for me why some of the fluid surfaces are transparent while other's are not. Oh, does anyone know how to change the spawn radius on an emitter?

I used a glass shader on the center columns in the new arena but it produces some glitchy effects. Need an explanation of why the shader is producing such a strange magic disapearing wall effect. :(

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  13. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

To change the particle spawn radius, go to Location > StartLocationRange in emitter properties and change the X/Y/Z min and max values. I haven't seen what you're doing with the glass textures on pillars, but if a transparent texture faces onto an additive area (the outside of the map) it makes a nasty hall of mirrors effect.

14. AcydBurn

AcydBurn New Member

Thanks Hazel. I wanted to give the columns a partial aquarium effect by combining solid wall textures with transparent textures but it causes the solid textures to disappear. The entire pillar has to be glass or solid. I can't mix the textures but it look really nice in glass.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  15. Vatcilli zeitchef

You can try adding solid "bars" (meshes)
    I thought the problem was that you could not make the whole
    pillar glassy.

16. Vatcilli zeitchef

Hey guys the map is almost finished!
    Here is one of the final betas
    http://majinmortan.lionline.nl/Downloads/JB-Atlantis.7z
    The arena is working now, Though the water does not kill you
    But no one ever said it had to!
    A lot of eyecandy has been added since the last version.
    Download it now and return with your comments!

For peeps who are to lazy to read the above posts I did not
    Make this map, only gave some inputs and hosted it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  17. G.Lecter

Cool, this is definitely turning into a good JB map, I like those 2 new routes. :tup:
    I have not played it yet. Just ran a bit through the map and had a look in the editor.
    - The arena looks way too bright and too brush shaped. Some ideas to improve it.
    · Replace the ZoneInfo from the arena by one of the ZoneInfos from the map. The arena will have the same zonelight properties in that way.
    · The theme in the arena is completely different than the map. Add more meshes and stuff. ;)
    · The floors are too thin. What I mean is there should be more distance between one floor and another... ;)
    · There are too many floors available and a player could rush to the higher floors whereas the other one stay in the lowest one. Arena matches may tie in that way. I think the floors should have triggered doors and jumpads to balance that...
    · I know you want to make an AssaultRifle arena... but IMO a pickup is needed in the middle of each floor (a weapon/health). That's another way to force players to go to the middle instead of getting the higher floors so quickly.
    · The arena's fluidsurface looks super-high-poly in the editor. :con:
    - There aren't any AssaultPath actor, so the bots will only take the shortest path to the switch. I can help you with making the AssaultPath web if you want, but first make sure all the layout and routes... :)
    - Did you try to change the colour of the coronas to red/blue? :rolleyes:
    - Pictures with more things: [Yeah... I've got too much free time... :eek:]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  18. 4WD

4WD globle

indeed ;)

19. AcydBurn

AcydBurn New Member

OK, here we go!

Did the ZoneInfo Replacement. Good Idea. Thanks.

The walls in the arena were textured with a texture used in the map but you are right so I changed it to the aged stone that was used in the main area. Still looking for additional meshes for the arena but I don't want to overdo it so I am being very careful in what I select.

Floors are OK. Players can rush to the higher floors but as the water rises you can't stay on the lower floors anyway. The water WILL kill you! There is a 5 sec delay before the water starts to move up so if you don't kill your opponent within that time you will be up to your scalp in water and you will DROWN! The major problem is getting the bots to recognize the danger. Also makes timing for triggered doors and such unnecessary as the water balances that. If you want to take the chance of drowning to get a pick up or remaining on a lower floor, oh well, what can I tell you. Glub, Glub, Glub! Aaarrrrg! LOL.

The fluid surface is the same fluid surface used throughout the map. They are all high poly.

Added more crystal to the center walk down below and moved the health pick-ups to the center of that walkway. It is a definite improvement.

Rechecked the center to see if additional walkways could be made. The result speaks for itself. Good idea. Thank you.

The flags in the anterooms are accurate. Those flags are there to let human players know what team is coming out of that room. You don't want to be in the opponents room when they exit after a release. That is a sure way to get yourself killed or become llamaized. There are crystal markers in the jails to let players know what side to exit from. If you want to exit on the red side, leave through the door where the red crystal is. Same for the blue.

There were a few issues that you raised that are issues with the original map.

Hmmmm. . . . what kind of video card to you have? May be time to look for a new one.

All in all, I appreciate your suggestions, many of which are right on target. Thank you for the help.

And YES I would appreciate assistance with the AssaultPath web. All the walkways are now in place but there have been many changes so before you could do anything with the AssaultPath web I would have to send you the most recent copy of the map.

Still doing some tweaking so you won't see the changes until the next revision is posted.

20. AcydBurn

AcydBurn New Member

Quote: There aren't any AssaultPath actor, so the bots will only take the shortest path to the switch. I can help you with making the AssaultPath web if you want, but first make sure all the layout and routes...

Well, GLecter, I am going to take you up on that. I am about tweaked out! When you are ready to do the AssaultPath web, let me know so that I can send you what I hope to be the last tweaked copy of Atlantis. Thanks a million. The help is always appreciated.

Also thickened the arena floors and took care of those texture alignment errors from the original map.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005