1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I've got symptons of RSI

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ming the Merciless, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless Cold Turkey!

I can't believe it. I've been getting slight numbness in my left hand in the two leftmost fingers. Turns out after a bit of investigation that this is RSI. So I've invested in a new keyboard and mouse plus I'm going to try Microsoft dual strike sidewinder game pad for UT, etc. That's going to take some getting used to. Plus I'm going to try voice recognition software (can anyone recommend some good ones).
    Let this serve as warning to you all. Make sure your setup is correct for you so that you don't get this. I've managed to catch this early so hopefully it will get better.

2. Aeris

Aeris K.O.S (Determination)

RSI!?
    Sounds like a sexualy transmitted disease man

3. namu

namu Bleh.

4. Ming the Merciless

Aeris, it stands for Repetitive Strain Injury.
    Namu what the hell does that mean

5. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I got RSI ages ago, it flares up quickly again now if I use a Right Handed mouse for any leng√ĺ of time.

I've used a trackball since diagnosed (except for gaming, where I use a left handed mouse).

I also use a contoured/split keyboard (the MS natural one at work) with the Dvorak key setup (even though the keys are still marked as QWERTY). That helps a lot too....

Are you lefthanded or righthanded Merciless?

6. PsychoMoggieBagpuss

PsychoMoggieBagpuss Gone.

Left hand two left most fingers.

THats exactly what I've got (but probably in a slightly worse way).
    That will be the ulna nerve.
    I was told by my doctor that it was more than likely caused by very long periods where I've rested my head on my left hand and my elbow on the desk (my typical position when I'm surfing for any length of time).
    Up shot of it is that I've got to have an operation on my elbow to sort it out :(

I hate surgery :(

7. Ming the Merciless

Bit of a wierd one this, I'm left handed yet I operate a keyboard and mouse and eat with a knife and fork right handed

8. Kokensu

Kokensu Fire in Ma Belly!

I've noticed alot of my friends have problems with their hands hurting after playing for a long time, whether it's a controller or the mouse/keyboard. I've never understood why people strain so hard when using these things. It doesn't matter how HARD you press the buttons down or grip the mouse. ;)

Oh well, sorry to here about that dude, good luck gettin that taken care of.

9. The_Inflictor

The_Inflictor Honest and unmerciful

My mum had surgery to cure her carpel tunnel complaint. She has arthirits, so that aint good :(

10. phil

phil OH GOD

it means aeris sig is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to big and should be made to follow the guidlines for sigs.

There was this guy, once apon a time his name was revenant and he had a big sig, so they TCD'd him. Now he is imortalized.

11. Aeris

Its only 48kb man, an I aint changin it for ****
    [edit] ****in gei censorship[/edit]

12. _Zd_3s_

_Zd_3s_ Regristered User

Relax dude. :)

I personally think it's a bit big too. You could at least try to resize the pics and make the text in a smaller font with [size ] tags.

13. Aeris

You two manz are the only peoples that have ever compalaned

14. pine

pine Official Photography Thread Appreciator

It's maybe less image size than sheer space that thing takes up on the page. With the text and taller picture, its like 2/3 of the page. Anyways, don't take it personally.

Ming - My dad has a repetetive stress injury in his wrist because he's a forester and it's part of his job to mark trees with a paint gun - which, since they don't use propellants, involves squeezing a caulk-gun like handle thousands of times a day (on the days he's marking). Now they told him to lay off the marking and it will probably heal up. Sounds like you're taking the best course of action too; just gotta keep pressure off those areas. Well, good luck to ya :).

15. Clayeth

Clayeth Classic

My wrist hurts sometimes if I arm wrestle someone. It's only from strong pressure in that specific direction, and that's the only time I ever feel it. I'm assuming it's from my strange combination of computer use and bowling.

16. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

That sig takes up ALL of my screen height and more.
    Count me in. :(

(at least try & only use it once per thread...)

17. 8-4-7-2

8-4-7-2 New Member

It's not the file size, but the actual size.
    There are official rules here to keep it within 600*200

Let me guess: INF forums?

18. Kokensu

Kokensu Fire in Ma Belly!

It is kinda big dude but I'm at 1600x1200 so it's not that big of a deal to me. But you should try to be considerate of those with smaller monitors(thus smaller resolutions). And really why does it need to be so large? You can get the same effect with a smaller sized pic. ;)

19. L_S

L_S .

I agree, his sig is too big.

20. Clayeth

Clayeth Classic

Doesn't bother me, but if I was using a resolution like 800x600 it'd be too much. At the very least cut the pics down to within the rules. I don't have a good animated gif editor, but for the other one: