It takes some insane memory to run BF2!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Defeat said:
>"Many people have experienced stuttering or choppiness in Battlefield 2 with 256MB video cards and 1GB of system RAM. We have found that installing 2GB of RAM clears up this stuttering in the game. We were very curious to see if a 512MB video card could clear this issue up as well. We first ran Battlefield 2 with 1GB of system RAM with the ABIT Fatal1ty X800 XL 512MB video card. We were very happy to experience very smooth gameplay with the 512MB Radeon X800 XL as there was no stuttering at all. It seems this game does benefit from a larger framebuffer on the video card in terms of gameplay smoothness." Taken from http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODA2LDEx

Ah nice one, had a feeling it would have a similar effect but hadn't seen any evidence. Think getting a second gig of RAM is going to be the cheaper solution for most. But If you can afford a 512mb card, its gotta be done, I know I'd like one if I had the money.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Just so you know, the a64 memory controler will not do 4 sticks of DDR400 at 1T, you`ll have to drop to 2T unless you get two 1 gig sticks.....which meens a big hit in bandwidth if you go with 4 sticks.
*EDIT* you can read about it here.

Last edited:

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Compared to a socket a platform you won`t see a diffence but you will see a diffrence if you run a Sandra bandwidth bench and compare to 2 sticks in an a64 system(non-socket 754), it will also show up in reduced 3D bench scores.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Nice read Rukee. I would ahve sworn the new core Athlons could do 4 DDR sticks at full speed at 1T, damn rumours....

Most likely I'l get a Geil set with slacker timings which will be perfectly adequate for what I need, and can return to what I have now for showing off and when I need speed over volume.