It isn't fun anymore

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
Between TDM and EAS with 11 lives, the game isn't fun anymore. Everything that I liked about INF is dying. I hope this is just a phase. It doesn't matter what map or what server. It has become a run n' gun fest with as many lives as we want or no goal at all.

Call me when it is "As real as it gets" I'm going to stick to matches for now.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
Demosthanese said:
Between TDM and EAS with 11 lives, the game isn't fun anymore. Everything that I liked about INF is dying. I hope this is just a phase. It doesn't matter what map or what server. It has become a run n' gun fest with as many lives as we want or no goal at all.

Call me when it is "As real as it gets" I'm going to stick to matches for now.

Try to avoid throwing a fit and calling names when you get TK'ed accidentally (for wandering away from your team, in white camo, in a snow map) before giving any lectures about how inf is "no longer the same".

Last edited:

mute_dammit

Just mute, dammit!
Sep 11, 2001
DamienW said:
Try to avoid throwing a fit and calling names when you get TK'ed accidentally... before giving any lectures about how inf is "no longer the same".
You seem to have missed the spirit of Demosthanes' post. Where he was pointing out things that have changed to make the game less fun, you have pointed out something that has not changed at all.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
My experience is that a lot depends on the people you play with. Even a jump match (low Grav) with Slowbullets can be a lot of fun if played with the "right" people. Same thing goes for TDM. However, I prefer EAS with 2 or maximum 3 respawns, but if the others on the server do their best to mess up your gaming experience, even that can suck monkey balls at times. Again, it's all down to the people who play.

I still love the game. It's the one single game that have stuck with me since I first played it about 4 years ago and I will probably be playing it for at least another 4 years. I might take a break now and then, as I have in the past, but I will keep playing it.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
I try to play inf with people i know play the game right. That is most rewarding gameplay for me personally.
I hope you get get a few good games soon Demos..

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
You're right demo, but the game will be dead for sure if you give it up. When i wanna play, i usually sit in the dtas server for at least 10 min before someone joins in. The only reason for me to join a tdm server is when i wanna try and suggest people to come and play dtas. Otherwise there's still ut2004.
What amaze me by the way is the number of people who give good lectures about realism here, and are more than occasionnally to be seen on tdm servers. Many of them are former rav2 players. Quite depressing...

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
I like TDM, that is fun for me. But I (nearly) only play TDM with my FOOL mates on our monday trains. Playing TDM on Peru is just great. :)
But I also like DTAS and if there would be an european (edit: there is one, was just too stupid to catch it ;) ) dtas sever I'd play it more. What's so bad about talking how to improve realism in INF while playing TDM? There are people having fun playing TDM, let them that's their choose, but there are also people having fun playing with realistic weapons, realistic movement ... and still play TDM, why not?
I do also dislike having too much lives but I never played TDM (there isn't) with respawns, so where is the problem beside people not working for the objectives?

Last edited:

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
The only problem I have with TDM is the lack of objectives.
The problem with EAS is that the maps are too big for the small number of players that actually play there, and too hard to navigate when u don't know them. Except that, I hadn't seen servers that have 11 reinforcements or other stupid settings like that.
I would like to see EAS maps that are designed for multiple rounds (not just 1), each with no respawns - kinda like AA:O insurgent camp and weapons cash maps. With INF playstyle, even a map like bridge might work.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
The problem I have with EAS is that it's just more frustrating for me than DTAS or TDM are. OK sometimes you have great teammebers and you yourself are great but if that's not the case EAS can get annoying pretty fast. The first time I had really fun playing EAS on many maps was during the current ILCR with my clanmembers.

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
Again, it highly depends on the folks you play with. But I guess you all can find your favorite server or folks you want to play with. Our community is not that big in size that you will not easily find a name you once played with or against. Maybe join servers where a group of the same clan is playing... there you will always find team play even if you play on the other team.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
yes we are using 10 reinfrocements on GD now. Why? For a number of reasons.

A> Who said 3-5 reinforcementes was "right?"

B> NO ONE was playing EAS anymore. Now we jacked up reinforcements ppl are playing again.

C> NO ONE wants to sit and wait to play. With alot of reinforcements you have enough lives to never have to wait.

D> Run and gunning is not any settings fault, its the player. If you run off and die and waste alot of reinforcements chances are your team will lose in the long run from more life lost.

E> Why cant we try something new for awhile before you judge it? You tried it one time, and then started bitching.

So if you dont like it there are other servers which run EAS that have the settings every other goddamn server uses. We are trying something new and the response has been positive so far. I even see TDM only players playing EAS now. And with the amount of respawns now newbies and TDM vets can learn the EAS maps without having to sit out 20 minutes a game.

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
A) Certainly not me. I say 1 life, but 3 is a fair compramise.
B) Do you know what a post hoc fallacy is? Is it strange to see so many people leave after complaining about the number reinforcements?
C) NO ONE wants to be stuck in a bottle neck for 20 minutes because they never run out of lives. It was interesting to watch people drop off the attacker team after a while, then followed by many a defender leaving as well.
D) The problem isn't that people die while running and gunning, it's that it is too damned effective to strafe around a corner while jogging and hipped and kill someone crouching.
E) I have tried it for a while. Ever since it was changed, I've been sick of it since it was introduced almost a month ago. It has yet to grow on me.

By your logic, it's not the fault of any setting that a player has to sit out and wait: It's their own fault.

This is no longer a sim. That's what I wanted out of INF, and no other mod or retail game offers anything close to what INF HAD. So much for an era.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
I agree with Demoshtanthe, exactly the reason I left True Combat. Got tired of people committing suicide and then respawning again 5 seconds later. By the time the game had ended, some of them had respawned over 50 times!
That sucked. So I went looking for a more realistic and serious sim. This sim has some issues but hopefully they can be worked out. But more than anything its a simulation, not a game. I think 3 lives is a good compromise between those that want only one life and those that want many. However, I prefer reality and one life. Makes the sim much more interesting. I have noticed that some of the maps have reinforcement waves but I haven't figured all this out yet. And if you have to wait out a long time after getting killed right out, well you won't make that mistake next time, will you? :lol:

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Demosthanese said:
A) Certainly not me. I say 1 life, but 3 is a fair compramise.
B) Do you know what a post hoc fallacy is? Is it strange to see so many people leave after complaining about the number reinforcements?
C) NO ONE wants to be stuck in a bottle neck for 20 minutes because they never run out of lives. It was interesting to watch people drop off the attacker team after a while, then followed by many a defender leaving as well.
D) The problem isn't that people die while running and gunning, it's that it is too damned effective to strafe around a corner while jogging and hipped and kill someone crouching.
E) I have tried it for a while. Ever since it was changed, I've been sick of it since it was introduced almost a month ago. It has yet to grow on me.

By your logic, it's not the fault of any setting that a player has to sit out and wait: It's their own fault.

This is no longer a sim. That's what I wanted out of INF, and no other mod or retail game offers anything close to what INF HAD. So much for an era.

Your points are based on one map experience where your team wasnt able to break through. Tough luck. Dont worry big mouths won over and server is now back to its ****ty non played self. Thakns alot! Way to go! Wheeee now no one plays.

Hurin

-SkillZ
Mar 13, 2004
Can you give INF a break? Stop blaming it on the game and change your own attitude.
You dont like multiple respawns, make a server with 1 life, or suggest that to an existant admin.
You dont like the game dragging on put on a shorter time limit, make the attackers move faster. Intead of finding fault in the game and complaininng about it, find something that makes it fun :p.

Mappie

--Total World Domination--
Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
Just playing devils advocate hurin....but just going to another server dont always work...not alot of players on. U'll prolly just end up sitting there by yourself. Making a new server with your own settings is kinda like trying to start a new bussiness and hoping to get customers. It could work, but if you fail, ....your screwed.