Is Unreal 1 more popular than UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jackrabbit

May 9, 2008
I'm seriously starting to think that U1 has a greater online community than UT3. I find it absolutely hilarious and this only makes me want to make more content for the original mother game. Please Epic.. DON'T MAKE U3 (Unreal 3 Storyline).

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
With 56 servers and 37 players on right about now, I'd say no. Of course this is not a peak time (9:44 PM GMT-5).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Here's the thing, both Unreal and UT have boatloads of custom servers. It's nearly impossible to find a vanilla game.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Aye, that might be why. (Almost) vanilla UGold for UAnthology here.
I was using the All Servers tab, but that may not show really all of them huh?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Nah, I'd say stop at doing Unreal games.

UT3 has many servers without game-changing mods in it; that's why I prefer UT3 Online right now over the rest of the U games, not to mention it's very good - not always if the map in question is something like DM-OceanRelic.

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
i'd like to play ut3 but i cant pay the money for a new comp.
i think unreal1 has more fansites then the other epic games iirc.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Why stop...there needs to be another singleplayer unreal, besides the universe feels incomplete...

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I'll say, maybe not Unreal but UT99 probably is more playable that UT3. I have talked to several people that played UT3 that came back to UT99 because of the gameplay and didnt care about all the new features and graphics from UT3.

The vehicles was a big mistake bringing it to an FPS game because it makes the game from a weapon shooting game into a MarioCart game... lame. I'm not saying it wasnt a bad idea but I would have loved that UT99 had a good running vehicle script at least. If these Epic guys werent such a money hungry hogs they would have made a bonuspack with some vehicles, materials, and Emitters to be used in UT. But, that would have made the newer games look like a vomiting-detailed-crap that was no better than the first one and nobody would have bothered trying the new ones.

So, all and all, people that have played UT3 are coming back to UT99, the same way it happened with UT2kx. All that UT3 is, is modding friendly to win contests and learn game designing with the engine. And no matter what you do, it won't feel like the real thing (UT99).

Last edited:

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
i don think it is because ut3 is new and new gamers havn not played U1 and most people who have have moved on.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Another problem is that Unreal isn't really popular as a series. Needs a good publisher.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I don't see how I can use the Titan pack in Unreal or UT99. They do that to attract people into buying the game so they can try it out which gives them more business anyway.

By 2000 they already had a working terrain system for UT99 but they didnt add it up into the patches for the game. They even sold the UTGoty edition years later and they didnt include that terrain system either. They instead used it for a new game in order to gain more mula for themselves.

As for modding, if it was harder to mod for UT3 than UT99 why are there so many mods and games made with that engine? Just look how easy it is to replace actors in UT2k4 and UT3. If you try that in UT99 you will see a lot of replacement glitches going on. Oh, and look how many actors can use specific scripts in maps for bothpathing among other things. You can't really do that in UT99 because it wasnt included, making modding for it a hard to an impossible task. I know this because I have tried making mods in UT99 that never came out right and had to give it up because something always glitched when all of this is very possible and easy to do in the new engines.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
And by now Epic has the updated UE3 engine and it seems that they won't release these updates for UT3 (at least for now).

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
As for modding, if it was harder to mod for UT3 than UT99 why are there so many mods and games made with that engine? Just look how easy it is to replace actors in UT2k4 and UT3. If you try that in UT99 you will see a lot of replacement glitches going on. Oh, and look how many actors can use specific scripts in maps for bothpathing among other things. You can't really do that in UT99 because it wasnt included, making modding for it a hard to an impossible task. I know this because I have tried making mods in UT99 that never came out right and had to give it up because something always glitched when all of this is very possible and easy to do in the new engines.

Sure, it's probably easier to mod UT3 than UT1, but it's harder to mod UT3 than UT2004.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That doesn't even make sense.

Also, Epic branches the engine for each game they make, so it's not like adding new engine features to an existing game is as easy as switching out a few files.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Please Epic.. DON'T MAKE U3 (Unreal 3 Storyline).

Yeah the Unreal Storyline has been beaten to death already. It's not that a new unreal would be bad, it could use a different twist with an actual decent plot, rather than Necris tentacles raping a tournament.

The Concept of Unreal 2 were nice, the game didn't work too well.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
U3 would be a good reason to buy a new computer.
U2 is a great game > UT2kx
UT being my all time fav for I can play U1 trough it :)
UT3 = Techdemo