Is this a dead forum?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zombiewoof

Rokk Fiddler, Farmer
Oct 2, 2003
Oaksterdam, California
Visit site
Is there really such a lack of interest in sound here in these forums? Are most people so oblivious to the myrid threads that link action to action, footsteps to headsplitting explosions, to (what is all too often) a wallpaper of notes seething in the background, all these graphic lubricants of continuity?
Do you think that the current practice of putting corperate 'music' on map servers is going to be 'tolerated' by the record companies as these games and others become more sophisticated and popular as time goes on. One of these days it will become more than just an annoying speck in the corner of the corperate eyeball. Herds of clovenhoofed lawyers,CEO's, and their accountants will storm the palaces of the great game kings and demand their cut. Deals will be made. Compromises will arise. BMI and ASCAP will set up shop and the CONTENT OF BROADCAST SHALL BE TAXED AND MONITORED AND WORSHIPPED AS A WAY OF LIFE.
Well, maybe maybe not. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that, at this point in time, with this, what is truly becoming what most people can(with a little exposure) recognize as truly a quality (useful) entertainment medium that is RAPIDLY evolving into Dog knows what and how many directions, that it seems that in all our marvalling at static mesh architecture and didgital cartoonery, that music and the evolution of sound elements in the 'shootemverse' end up playing second fiddle, and are doomed to one day be ruled by those who gently stir the corperate soup. Perhaps the handle of the spoon it'self will engraved with the ATARI logo.

zombiewoof

Rokk Fiddler, Farmer
Oct 2, 2003
Oaksterdam, California
Visit site
Yes. This is a dead thread. And appearntly any chance of dredging up any forsight of direction or even understanding what a 'medium' is, is a dead thread as well. I guess it's like trying to describe a handicap to racehorses. Oh well.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
sound/music artists that have interest in applying thier talent in games are hard to come by. To my understanding most retail developers contract musicians to score the game. I can't think of one music guy that isn't freelance.

zombiewoof

Rokk Fiddler, Farmer
Oct 2, 2003
Oaksterdam, California
Visit site
zombiewoof said:
Is there really such a lack of interest in sound here in these forums? Are most people so oblivious to the myrid threads that link action to action, footsteps to headsplitting explosions, to (what is all too often) a wallpaper of notes seething in the background, all these graphic lubricants of continuity?
Do you think that the current practice of putting corperate 'music' on map servers is going to be 'tolerated' by the record companies as these games and others become more sophisticated and popular as time goes on. One of these days it will become more than just an annoying speck in the corner of the corperate eyeball. Herds of clovenhoofed lawyers,CEO's, and their accountants will storm the palaces of the great game kings and demand their cut. Deals will be made. Compromises will arise. BMI and ASCAP will set up shop and the CONTENT OF BROADCAST SHALL BE TAXED AND MONITORED AND WORSHIPPED AS A WAY OF LIFE.
Well, maybe maybe not. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that, at this point in time, with this, what is truly becoming what most people can(with a little exposure) recognize as truly a quality (useful) entertainment medium that is RAPIDLY evolving into Dog knows what and how many directions, that it seems that in all our marvalling at static mesh architecture and didgital cartoonery, that music and the evolution of sound elements in the 'shootemverse' end up playing second fiddle, and are doomed to one day be ruled by those who gently stir the corperate soup. Perhaps the handle of the spoon it'self will engraved with the ATARI logo.

zombiewoof

Rokk Fiddler, Farmer
Oct 2, 2003
Oaksterdam, California
Visit site
zynthetic said:
sound/music artists that have interest in applying thier talent in games are hard to come by. To my understanding most retail developers contract musicians to score the game. I can't think of one music guy that isn't freelance.
I know this is a bit old, but incidently, I am one of those sound\music artists, and I'm pretty easy to come by. A lot of talented sonic artists are into gaming whether freelance or not, I don't really see the relevence of this post. And still, most of what I hear is pretty wanky. Can't wiat to hear what that NIN guy Trevor razorneck (whatever) has done with Doom3. Freelance my ass! tell that to BMI and ASCAP!

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
zombiewoof said:
I know this is a bit old, but incidently, I am one of those sound\music artists, and I'm pretty easy to come by. A lot of talented sonic artists are into gaming whether freelance or not, I don't really see the relevence of this post. And still, most of what I hear is pretty wanky. Can't wiat to hear what that NIN guy Trevor razorneck (whatever) has done with Doom3. Freelance my ass! tell that to BMI and ASCAP!

Wow, what a coincidence :rolleyes:
The point is some ppl like to do what they love for a living, and freelance is very unpredictable which can make it very discouraging. There's not as much "glamour" as there is in mapping, modelling or any of the more common positions which makes it even harder for sound/music talent to establish a name for themselves, and if even one person can see the real meaning in this post then I guess I've succeeded.
iirc Reznor hasn't been doing the DooM3 OST for a while (according to a sonic mayhem interview).

As far as this board's concerned it is pretty dead. That hasn't stopped me from finding new work though.

Last edited: