Is there a way to check ram health?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
...and by that title I mean, is there a way to see if any of your ram has gone bad? I know it's not often but I hear about it every once in a while.

My problem right now consists of several things which are making it hard for me to pinpoint a cause. Things just seem to be acting up. Programs are slower (photo editors especially), it doesn't want to open more than one at a time (up til now I could fairly easily have painter, flash and 3ds max going all at once) and some smaller things too, like after a while I seem to lose the ability to right click until I close more memory heavy programs. Sometimes windows in the program tree don't want to open at all. I notice when I restart the whole computer things run a little better, but only for a bit, so I hope it's not some kind of leak via bug.

Anyway, in the system window it still says I've got my full 1 gig of ram, so I'm wondering if there's some kind of diagnostic tool that can read my ram chips to see if there are any bad sectors.

Any help appreciated.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Just running some benchmarks like 3D mark will help you tell if you have a problem, ie if they arentrunning aswell as before. Won't give you a caue. Memtest wil be your best bet though as Bono said.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Yeah, all that link I posted before just said press f1, and that worked. I changed the order (it's got a little tab all to itself) and put both the disk drive and the cdrom on top, but it still wouldn't load the program. I'm going to try and make a disk with the windows diagnostic tool and see if it'll load that.

EDT: Just in case anyone is interested in my useless odyssy, I tried the windows diagnostic and left it running while I went to the store. Damn thing did 11 passes of 6 different tests and came up with nothing.

So either I'm looking in the wrong place, or the windows diagnostic program sucks.

dbl edt: Screw it, I'm just going to go the old low tech route and pull out memory sticks until I find the one it hangs on... :eek:

trpl EDT: Okay, I switched them out one at a time and it's still not opening programs after a while. Flash and winamp are crashing too.

One of 3 things I imagine:
1. Windows xp sp2 has finally given me the debilitating handicap I had hoped it never would.
2. It's a hardware problem further in the computer, the slots or wires or something...
3. Evil gnomes are living in my computer, cooking their dinners on my athlon's cpu core.
4. Some evil trojan is causing a memory leak, something I'm not aware of because I've already uninstalled everything I put on in the last week.

Think I'll go try hijack this, I've never used it before but it might tell me something...

Last edited: