Is there a Single Player Storyline for the Game ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
neilthecellist said:
I see your sarcasm there, but shouldn't Epic follow up on the storyline(s) based in each Assault map in UT2004? I mean, not just follow up with more Assault maps.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's a GREAT opportunity to spawn up a storyline that beats Halo any day.
You know... there is a Single Player story in UnrealTournament and UnrealTournament 2003/2004...

They're called Unreal1 and Unreal2.

Seriously -- the entire "plotline" of UnrealTournament is some mining dude says "Lets make a **** load of money by having giant deathmatches... and when someone dies (which happens quite a lot) lets just revive them and keep the bloody carnage going" They're not a whole lot of possibilities for SinglePlayer unless you have something like Career mode. Is that bad? No, 'course not.

Last edited:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Phopojijo said:
Seriously -- the entire "plotline" of UnrealTournament is some mining dude says "Lets make a **** load of money by having giant deathmatches... and when someone dies (which happens quite a lot) lets just revive them and keep the bloody carnage going" They're not a whole lot of possibilities for SinglePlayer unless you have something like Career mode. Is that bad? No, 'course not.

:lol:

There are a million possibilities for a story line. It just requires imagination!
The film gladiator was about a bunch of guys hacking the crap out of each other and that had a story line. Tekken is about a bunch of warriors beating the crap out of each other but at least each character has a there own story and reasons for fighting, which develop with each title in the series.

Epic needs a writer for their games!

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I enjoyed the story-mode in UC2

@Scuzzbuster: You are the man. THE MAN. Now stop making me laugh-out-loud in a library.

Epic would be fools to not add a full-fledged single player into their game this time around.

They say they got smart AI, they say they got campaign-like expansive maps, they showed they have impressive cinematic capabilities, and anyone with common sense can make a tournament ladder setup described just like in this thread (you know, one where you can mod it).

Epic has had COOP singleplayer multiplayer mode in Unreal before. I've played a few of those maps myself. Bullcrap that they can't put something in this time. Hell, just take a regular deathmatch level, copy it, then add some scripted events. Voila, a singleplayer experience. Rinse, repeat. Voila, a singleplayer game!

A final note.
If Epic makes a singleplayer game mode, for the love of god have some of the humor that was in Unreal Championship 2. How much is it to ask Malcolm interviewing a Skaarj Overlord about to play Bombing Run?

Swerto

The Founder Of The PL4Y4 H474Z
Jul 29, 2005
Hmm I like the tournament story style thing... I like the 2k3/2k4 style i think we need to just expand slightly. There should be OUTSIDE of tournament storylines like on your way to the match you get ganged up on. kind of like UC2 but then go on to like a sports game and have all the teams actully simulating matches. Yet ofcrourse Xan's team and Malcolms team will always win (because apparantly they are "undefeatable"). Then kind of instead of just a ladder you can challenge teams to fight. But I also like the Idea of CREATING your team. I think we should even be able to create our own bots again and name them without going into the game files and copying the string and putting it at the end and changing the name/story/etc.
But also I usually make my own story and having a story forced onto me would kind of piss me off. Would ruin my story. But nonetheless as long as i can get necris and Xan skins i'm fine.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Epic could learn from what was done in Rome:Total war, It has a story line in a very subtle way, ie character have traits that they gain throughout the game depending on their actions, some of the traits are very funny! As you play the game different factions are fighting each other, so each time you play , different ones get wiped out, and you don't know who you'll be fighting in the end to win the game.

I think Epic should continue with the idea of a the player managing their team to win the tournament but make it richer and more developed, players gain traits and a reputation depending on their playing style ie, Headshots, Favourite weapon, Bunny Hopping, Using Link, Flak Monkey, Camper, Suicides
stuff like that.... they then get a funny nickname because one of these traits
Next time a Bot team fight your team they will be perfectly aware of your playing style and will try to adjust to fight against it!

As different wars go on in total war, and factions rise and fall, make aliances and break them, so should different teams in the tournament be fighting diffferent matches in the background, the outcome of these is not always the same so you can't be sure who you will be fighting on a particular map on the tourney ladder, each time you play the ladder it would be different, the player should have to pay attention to a rankings scoreboard to see which team is on top, and who they have to beat to get there.

The bloodrites in UT2k4 was good, but the player should also be able to challenge any team they wish to a bloodrites instead of the game randomly challenging you all the time!

Epic really need to bring back a trophy room/hall of fame mor akin to the one from UT99