1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Is there a Single Player Storyline for the Game ?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Guardian of Time, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Guardian of Time

Guardian of Time New Member

Hello everyone

I heared in some other forums that the game may have a complete storyline for Single Player Mode

is it correct ?

if correct , can someone explain the storyline for me ?

Cheers ...

2. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

Malcom goes to the grocery store to buy some milk.........things don't go as planned. dun dun dun

3. MARVO

MARVO I am in this thread.

OH SNAP:lol:

4. Monster Kill

Monster Kill New Member

It'll probably just be the good ole' tournament ladder like always.

5. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

The tournament thing bugs me. There should be at least a storyline based on before and after all those Assault maps from UT2004. I mean, those were story-line based, why not just bust out a campaign for the game?

Ok ok, I get it, it's all Epic's decisions...

6. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

Yeah, the idea for a tournament structure for a game called Unreal Tournament is a terrible decision.

7. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

I see your sarcasm there, but shouldn't Epic follow up on the storyline(s) based in each Assault map in UT2004? I mean, not just follow up with more Assault maps.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's a GREAT opportunity to spawn up a storyline that beats Halo any day.

8. Majik

Majik blargh

The assault maps are recreations of 'famous' events that happened in the past, so no, they shouldn't. It's a tournament anyway.

9. zynthetic

zynthetic robot!

Coupled w/ the impression that botmatch somehow passes as "singleplayer" simply because it's a mp game.
    /me shakes head

10. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

I don't see there being much of a story in this one which is a pity because its not a very difficult to make one. I can think of a type of Co-op that would lend itself to having a story like what iv'e written below. Each Map would be a mission based campaign composed of several smaller maps. Each would have a story to it. Kinda of a mix between Assault, XMP, Unreal Co-op, and Invasion!

11. Neophoenix

Neophoenix Bast's Pet

SP wouldn't be so bad if you could play user made maps in the tournament, instead of the same old ladder time and again. Not to mention create other teams to go up against in the tournament. Maybe even fight your old team you won the tournament with last time you played.

These things would add a great deal of depth to the SP mode in the UT series.

12. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

I think it's time that they did what they apparently were planning for UT2kx : a tournament-mode like sports-games have.

So instead of a fixed ladder against fixed teams there should be a custom-made (or at least mod-able) tournament that can be repeated without going boring.
    At least I think it would be cool if the last fight in the tournament wasn't against the team/character UT2k7, but something a little less predictable (Malcolm draws Xan as his first opponent, Xan gets taken out by a randomly generated no-name bot, etc.).

And again ... I'd like to be able to use 'real' (or at least pre-selected) teams in the team-games for practice as well.

At least I think they could make a killing if the SP/practice-part resembled a real on-line tournament. Think of it as a 'free' ladder-organiser for on-line games ...

13. indy900

indy900 [mXc]indy

sp could be an expansion pack added later.

14. PoPoV

PoPoV New Member

In one of the videos, you see a UT 2007 character being attacked by a metal robot. The metal robot is not a character as it:Already carries rocket launcher type weapons, and it has it's own 'terminator'-like sight. I know this doesnt really classify him for sure as a non-character, but I think it seems pretty likely.
    Anyway, I think that this new robot type thing backs up the idea of having a proper(or more deep?) story line.

15. MonsOlympus

MonsOlympus Active Member

Yeah I got that same idea too, not just from the robot clip but if you take a look at one of the many ones where malcolm jumps out the window.

Im guessing sp might be along the same lines as uc2 perhaps with the story following acouple of the major characters.

16. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

Or it's just a small intro-video like the one that introduced UT2k3 singleplayer ...
    Heck ... even the city in the intro of UT'99 isn't used anywhere in the game.

The Malcolm-video is a demo that's used to show that it wasn't pre-rendered.

17. the head

the head New Member

that says it all.

18. JeniSkunk

JeniSkunk New Member

The Tournament Ladder stadium cinematic from UT2003 looked great. Made you feel like you might have a chance to enter that stadium to start some of the finals matches in the Tournament...
    Instead, you never see the arena again, and the the whole feel of the Tournament being a holovised Sports Series was dropped.

The Tournament Ladder cinematic from UT2004 feels less like a Sports Series, and more like a set of Action-Scenes from the trailer of the latest Hollyweird combat-action movie. Then they put the still images with the voiceover talking about the Tournament... bleah.

What's needed is a UT2003-style intro cinematic that makes players feel like they're seeing the start of the first match of the season, of the top of the ladder, and to reference back to that stadium during the season. Make it feel more like a proper sports series.

The other thing that sucked in UT2003/4 was the trophy cinematic. that ghostly holo was just ugly in comparison to the Trophy Room in UT.

Jenifur Charne

19. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

A couple of FMVs wouldn't go astray for the the single player tourney, one for the beginning and end of each ladder DM,TDM,CTF,ONS,WARFARE, just don't let Epic do the Scripting (O god its bad in UC2 clips) and make them very high quality, not a low poly mess,

FMV's for each Team completing a ladder should be different, same as there is different endings for each character in Tekken!

20. Scuzzbuster

Scuzzbuster It's Crunchy. It's Nice.

From my understanding, the single player story line will be that Princess Selkhet will be taken hostage by a huge gorilla who takes her to the top of a skyscraper under construction. You will be Malcom and have to climb to the top while double jumping and dodge boosting over and around Barrels being thrown by the gorilla and fireballs spawning out of oil drums. A large wooden sledgehammer replaces the redeemer and the powerups are a purse and a hat and an umbrella.
    Epic will send all purchasers of the game an official UT "1337" player patch once you reach the elevator level.
    The online experience will also change. When fighting other players on the internet you will have to take turns shooting at each other. When it's your turn to shoot, you will get the message "Get Ready, Player 1!" When you run out of health your eyes will turn to X's and you'll see "Player 1 Game Over Insert Coin"