1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

is there a good double-jump mutator?

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by SubCog, Apr 14, 2004.

1. SubCog

SubCog New Member

I just reinstalled the old unreal tournament, and it's so-o-o-o good. The only problem is that now that I've gotten used to the new UTs, I gotta double jump. Is there a mutator that adds UT2kx style double jumping?

2. Erika

Erika WHA?

Matrix Moves adds a double jump feature. Look it up in google.

What I want though is a mutator that will allow me to jump as many times as I want, that would be fun.

3. Mr.Mitchell

Mr.Mitchell New Member

4. Predcaliber

Predcaliber One Day I'l Beat Lauke

for better bullet time, download the bullettime3.0 mutator, I swear you its worth it, and absolulty one of the coolest mutators I have ever seen :)

nice things like bullet trails, and say that you can put the slomo 0.1 command, under a button :)

click here

5. Heythere

Heythere New Member

Sort of like how the computer can constantly dodge without interuption?

I swear, one of the biggest things UT is missing is a simple dodge key. Sure, taking .25 seconds to double tap a key may not seem like such a big deal - but when I need to dodge a 3 missle rocket blast, I only have so much time to double tap after realising "Oh ****". Add the fact that the computer can dodge twice on a whim and you have a total unfair disadvantage :/

6. Predcaliber

well I think you might be very right with that, bots dodge 2 times witouth interuption.

I hope some smart-ass coder maby will bring out a dodge mutator to set dodge @1 key ;)

7. TaoPaiPai

TaoPaiPai Commisaire Van Loc

hey ...ahem...PredcLiber(sp?)...hey Am I dreaming or are your avatar and sig demonstating pics of DNA the movie? lol that was one of the worst movies I ever saw..

8. Predcaliber

you are very mistaken my friend, cause it are shots of ( Its what I think ;)) one of the best movies ever made:Predator :)

with Nobody less than The ''Govenator'' Arnold Schwarzenegger :p

(The same Predator from the Game: '' Aliens versus Predator '')

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  9. TaoPaiPai

TaoPaiPai Commisaire Van Loc

ahh yes....you're right.
    It was looking like mark Dascassos who stared in DNA, a movie worth to watch for a good laugh.It has beautiful pictures but the scenario is an endless suite of hollywood cliches and plagiarizm from other movies.

10. Heythere

Heythere New Member

Bingo

11. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

Ehmm.....

Bots need some advantage over human opponents. I'm completely fine with the fact that they can dodge without interruption because....
    I can ALWAYS outsmart and OWN them.

I'm sure you can too.

So what you can't dodge quicker. Bots are so predictable!
    Take advantage of it damn it ;-)

12. DaBeowulf

DaBeowulf UT-mods Geek

Play as the dragon in Unreal4Ever.. as long as you have "ammo" you can 'jump' ;)
    www.planetunreal.com/u4e

13. Heythere

Heythere New Member

:S

Bots dont need anymore advantages then aim on inhuman/godlike...

But at any rate, bots never need an advantage over you. Unfair games suck :(

Eh let me clarify. Anything the computer does, the player should be able to do equally well. If a bot can double dodge, then the player should definetly have that ability too. And its not like no skill is needed with a single key stroke dodge - I think more often then not I would end up dodging into a computer`s 3 rocket blast considering I have sucky timing. But being ABLE to dodge a 3 rocket blast vs. not being able to tap the dodge key fast enough to dodge a 3 rocket blast(whats happening right now) is a big difference. That`s something I never liked about old skewl fighting games(street fighter 2). The computer never messed up doing a special move - If it wanted to throw a fireball, jump over, and then dragon punch ASAP it would without a hitch. The player on the other hand has to put up with the time it takes to pull those special moves off(provided he actually does pull it off) - which is a unfair disadvantagein the comptuer`s favor. Now take a game like Dead Or Alive 2 into account, there isn`t really a disadvantage between the cast of players, they`re just all played diffrently, and everyone can counter attack equally easy. :) So when I get my ass kicked by the computer, it`s not because the computer is being cheap, it`s because I countered middle when I should of countered high... Totally my fault if I have crappy reflexes.

Not totally my fault if I cant press the #%)ing key fast enough to dodge left.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  14. Predcaliber

correct, bull**** that bots should have more advantage than humans, cause you cant call it a fair match if someone has a ability and you havent :(

btw, does anyone know IF there is a dodge key mutator? ;)

15. Heythere

Heythere New Member

As far as the dodging goes, I read a long time ago it was written into the core of UT`s code that you have to double tap the key to dodge...

So it`s not so simple to make a dodge mutator I think, which is why no one has done it yet. Course I`m sure it can be done... Maybe we should start a petition and pester a mod group :D

And NeoNite, one of the best things about UT is how easy it is to customize it. So giving bots advantages over players on a defaul scheme is :tup:. But not letting the player fully edit the system to his liking is a total :tdown:

16. Predcaliber

If there is a 1 key dodge mutator, I think it looks a bit weird btw, when you just doge 100 times to the right withouth any interuption, it looks a bit weird/funny :)

Its a bit complicated to invent the dodge methodes, but After all I think its just the best choice to dodge with your movement keys :)

But that still doest mean bots dont have an advantage, But its a cpu controlled thing, wich is of course always better than human :( :)

17. NeoNite

I've been playing against bots for almost four years now. Also played online for quite a while (dm etc) but never ditched botgames.
    At first I had to get used to the fact that bots had these certain "advantages" over the player. Like the good aim (but yeah you can easily modify a bot...) and the quick dodging etc... the fact that a bot almost always knows where a player hides.

It's things you get used to. Why bitch about it?
    So what if a god has good aim?
    Even bots with mediocre aim become quite good on inhuman/godlike.

Like I said, it follows pathnodes through a level. It depends on how good the map author knows botpathing you'll encounter good or lousy bot opposition.

Other than that, if bots didn't have any extras I think it would become too damn easy too damn quickly.
    You'd start owning bots in a matter of time.
    So with this extras you need some extra time.

But in the end, it's just the computer. And humans can always outsmart the computer. ALWAYS.

Learn how the bots play the game.

Spectate a bot, and type "verbose" at the console. Then you can see what the bot "thinks".
    Can be usefull I guess.

Even if you're playing a godlike teamgame, try guiding your bots. Lead them.
    You'll win 9/10 times if you do so.
    So what if the bot has good aim (ok ok loque isn't a common bot. But it's just a bot anyway), you just anticipate what it'll do.

And the fact that they rely on the pathnodes makes them so damn predictable what more do you want ???? :con:

You see a both quick dodging? If you have a shockrifle, switch to it, think where the bot will be (higly predictable) and place a shock combo.
    Or fire multiple rockets.

BOTS CAN'T FIRE MULTIPLE ROCKETS I WISH THEY COULD.

Although very, very few times I've seen a bot load a max of two rockets.

BOTS DON'T ACTUALLY LEARN.

They always follow "the same routes", always play the game the way you've configured them. But they'll never learn from their mistakes.

I wish the AI would though.

I'm "happy" the way the bots are. I wish they would be more intelligent though and have more advantages to make them even more challenging.

Btw, I'm a mediocre player. I can handle godlike bots in dm and teamgames.

Use tricks to outsmart them :) Be quick, learn the level, learn to guide them in teamgames and I promise you you won't mind those "extras" any longer.

18. Predcaliber

euuh

I did not said I have problems killing them ;)

Bots are so predictible, the moest handy method to misue that stupidity is indeed the shock combos behind the corners and stuff :)

Bots might be stupid, but they have the dodge advantage, wich doest mean that they are difficult to kill, but juswt can do what you cant.

and even If they where very hard to beat, I want to set it just If a bot got this advantage or not, cause you dont have it, and then it doesnt matter how bad or stupid the bot is, he just can do something that you cant.

19. NeoNite

So what if the AI can do something you can't?
    There are so many things humans can do which the UT AI will never be able to.

And even if someone would enable the "fast dodge" for humans, it would be imo unfair to use against bots.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  20. Heythere

Heythere New Member

Eh Neo, you got a point for sure, but I still think its waaaay unfair not being able to dodge on the fly like the bots.

See I have a problem: speedy or slow frame rate, mouse movement is a bit lagged.. and I suck :(. So till I have $400 to spend on a nice gfx card, I wantsta even the playing field just a bit. If theres something I wanna do in UT, I don`t think I should be hindered from doing it(like simple dodging), so I will always bitch till I get my dodge mutator :p

But yeah, outsmarting is what Epic intended I bet... It`s just I can`t really outsmart them when my aiming is so off... Sides, not being able to dodge rockets like the computer is GOD DAMN CHEAP! I get owned on Inhuman unless I do cheap cheating tactics, and I don`t wanna use cheap cheating tactics, I wanna use m4d ski11z :S