is it possible...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Taque

Custom User Title
Dec 3, 2002
PARIS
www.mpclan.com
benmcl would know best, but if you're close enough to a server, it ought not to be a huge problem. I guess it'd be best if you're Euro since everything is close to everything here. :p

CFA

The Cult Of Personalities
Apr 23, 2004
Lucas from DbD plays on dialup.he gets kills sometimes so it cant be that bad

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
The main problem is when people start spamming with the minimi, narrowband can't keep up (I used to play on 64K until a few months ago). Generally it's manageable, be sure to use the netspeed guide in troubleshooting beforehand.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I dial in at 24600. I am damn sure you can get a much better connection. I usually ping in the 275-300 range. I really had no problem playing with 2.86.

2.9 for me is another story. Although I still ping the same I suffer more lag and I do a lot of teleporting. I can run around the same corner over and over again. That is one of the reason I don't play much online. When I do and I start to experience such problems I leave because when it happens I am next to impossible to hit.

Also the number of players on the server is a factor for me. I am usually fine up to about 8 then problems set in.

When everything is running fine I have no problems being competative. Yes I play a more defensive style, spotting, supersion fire and such. Also it is a myth that high pingers can not snipe. I have no problems.

The best advice I can say is to play and see if you have problems. I have been accussed of lagging servers and have spoken with a server admin of my favorite server and was given a list of people who has authority and knowledge to determine if I am causing problems and in reality I have not. Know who to listen to and if you think there is a problem find out from people who the admin and you trust.

The reason I brought this up is that I have had issues where oterh peoples poor play or bad connection was attributed to me only for me to find out they were having problems long before I got there.

Now go play.

Last edited:

Inf idiot

Dec 23, 2003
ive got a 56k modem.. im using a mac.... it will take me a while.... but ... ill try to download every thing..... see hispeed internet is unavaible where i live.... im 100 feet out side of there coverage area... and im jacked... dammit...

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
BTW there is a new pricing plan at one of the companies here that supplies wireless broadband. So it may be possible for me yet without spending a fortune. Last time I checked it would cost $3000 just to hook up.

Another BTW highspeed wireless here works very well.

Jagdtiger

[UMC]Shadow
Jan 13, 2003
Visit site
Mac + 56k + online play = Not good

2.9 on a Mac is very slow to begin with, adding 56k to it will make it even slower. And if you're running OSX it's going to be totally unplayable.

Lt.

Elitist bastard
Aug 11, 2004
in urban Michigan(mostly)
i connect at 50600 and get pings around 250-300 with no "running around the same corner again and again" action like ben gets. on a good day any sluggishness is the fault of my gfx card's terrible fill rate and not the connection speed.

however.. im under windows. on a mac YMMV.

Inf idiot

Dec 23, 2003
oh.... nvm..... *sigh* ill just go back to playing the bots that do the same thing every time... *sobs*