Intel adds DRM to new chips

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
And people will swallow it just as easily as they did with XP's obnoxious registration-procedure ...

btw : note the 'operating-system independent'-bit ... so Linux is not going to be the answer :(

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
A call to arms! Lets make open source hardware without DRM or restrictions!

Oh wait, it's not as easy to pump out powerful, complex microprocessors as it is software based on thirty year old principles...

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Keganator said:
A call to arms! Lets make open source hardware without DRM or restrictions!

Oh wait, it's not as easy to pump out powerful, complex microprocessors as it is software based on thirty year old principles...
I think it's easier to stop upgrading your pc ... ;)

Heck ... I sometimes wonder why we even 'need' to upgrade our hardware anyways.

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
It's been said before "no unannounced drm" but they announced it back in 2001 for Palladium...
And chances are AMD will follow suit, they're all part of the same group.

"The Trusted Computing Group (TCG) is an alliance of Microsoft, Intel, IBM, HP and AMD which promotes a standard for a `more secure' PC."

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Sure ... they 'announced' it. Probably like the new Intel Pentium will have *cough* (low voice) DRM *cough* and tons of other features ...
// ---

It'd be interesting to see who would dare to counter such an alliance. Perhaps a previously unkown Asian developer is willing to consider what Intel & co don't want to do ????

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
perhaps but i doubt it, as they'd need to develop their own OS's as well. Even if they did that they'd have a hard time getting anything but homebrewed software running on it since it'd nearly be guranteed that no major software company would go out of it's way to write an application or game for a Hardware/OS combo who's main claim to fame was a pro piracy policy stance.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Who says they'd have to write a new OS ? Just another Linux-distro will be fine.
They could begin with creating a simple x86-clone cpu

Of course there's the problem of not being able to read documents from "trusted" pc's, which may or may not be a problem depending on how fast this 'trusted'-crap becomes popular with the moron-majority who will believe Intel & co when they promise 'virus-free' computing to the masses.

As for the 'pro piracy stance' ... a good marketeer could play on the fear of censorship that 'trusted' computing makes far too easy to enforce. Of course the problem with that is that the Chinese government loves censorship. :(

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
well see i think the thing is that Inetl & co isn't selling DRM to consumers, they're selling it to the software industry. DRM is like the holy grail to the software/media industry, and once they get it, they're never going to let go. The only people that wouldn't jump on the bandwagon are the open source / freeware guys, and even some of them might like to be able to do whatever with DRM.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but i don't think the odds are in anti-DRM favor.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
ravens_hawk said:
Scary stuff, make me hope for a day when the world isn't run by corporations :hmm:

Yes, because we all know that governments would be fairer :rolleyes:

So I'm wondering how long after this stuff hits the street that there will be cracks available.

Every time someone invents some way to prevent piracy, someone else releases a crack :p

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Of course there'll be cracks (Xbox & PS2 prove that), but they will become more difficult to implement as it is going down to the hardware instead of pure software.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
JaFO said:
Of course there'll be cracks (Xbox & PS2 prove that), but they will become more difficult to implement as it is going down to the hardware instead of pure software.
I dunno about that ... all you need to do is remove any DRM information from the media file and it should run fine ... its not like you're going to have to register some sort of DRM information for your home movies and video projects in the works, so computers will still be able to play un DRM'd files. Now pirated software may be a little more difficult ... but not impossible.

This DRM stuff sucks, but its not the end of the world.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
*eh* no. It's not going to be as easy as that.

In theory watermarking will effectively flag a 'modified' file as 'illegal' for your mediaplayer even without the DRM-info. (I think it will even cause the occasional false positives as a result).

It allows the DRM-systems to identify exactly which pc was the leak, which (in theory) will allow them to blacklist that pc as well and retro-actively kill anything it's produced. And that's without any searchwarrant or 'official' procedures to reverse the decision ...