1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Infiltration for UT2k4

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Domino, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Domino

Domino < Phoenix Rising >

First off, Unreal Tournament 2004 is an AWESOME game engine... one of the biggest improvements is GOOD openGL support... any of you people with graphics cards designed around OpenGL will realize the difference quickly....things are much more fluid and real than in the old Unreal Tournament. The graphics are ten times better than normal Unreal Tournament's could ever be... We're talking grass, amazing skies, and complex shadows.

On top of everything else, Unreal Tournament finally has vehicle support! I've been waiting for some vehicle missions in Infiltration for a while now... Unreal Tournament 2004 also features "ragdoll physics", bodies will slump over, roll, and twist according to the impact at which they were hit. No longer will you see enemies using the same death animations over and over. Vehicles will roll down hills and flip over, it's amazing. The possibilities of the engine are limited only by the imagination.

Let's see, faces are animated, and the interface is definitely cleaner... I've played online and have had almost no slow-downs. Online play has been improved dramatically, there's even some form of in-game instant messaging (haven't figured out how to use it, but hopefully I will soon).

So, bottom line, when is INF going to switch over to Unreal Tournament 2004?... the original Unreal Tournament engine is really starting to show its age, and I think it's definitely time to move on to bigger and better things.

Now while we're on the subject, I think the 1911 would make a perfect addition to INF in UT2k4... ;)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
  2. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Is this an actual suggestion or a paid advertisement? Either way I think it's a bit too obvious to most people here as a desicion, unless they're living under ROCKS.

3. Domino

If it's such an obvious decision, why hasn't there been any progress made already on porting INF? :confused:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
  4. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

Because people have a life and are busy with it?

Porting a game to a new engine isn't like saving a word document into pdf... it takes a little more work. Of course it could be done in a few weeks (or even days)... but then it won't be using any facial animations and "ragdoll physics" and we'll only hear even more whining from unsatisfied ppl.

my 0.02

Be patient. Inf will move on, that's for sure.

5. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Sorry son, but your posts actually have no bearing on the physical outcomes of things. Other than the harddrives used to store it (it, being the post, not the game, sorry) on.
    Even if they did make any progress, why would they even mention it? It's almost expected.

6. Turin_Turambar

Turin_Turambar Pls don´t shoot to the Asha´man

Nahhh, better wait to port to Stalker´s engine!! :)

7. geogob

Half life 2 engine maybe? ;)

8. Domino

All I'm saying is that I think the INF team should get started on porting for UT2k4 now... it was released only a few days ago, so any work they've done so far would have been for UT2k3. Now while UT2k4 and UT2k3 are the same engine, UT2k4 has some significant changes that the team could utilize to make INF better.

I think the least the INF team could do is keep the community updated as they go along, I can't be the only person who feels this way.

9. AlmostAlive

AlmostAlive Active Member

I'm sure news will be posted when there is news to post.

10. keihaswarrior

keihaswarrior New Member

The INF team even just deciding to officially start on the next version of INF would be newsworthy, as would what engine they will use.

I envy other communites *cough TTR *ahem that receive numerous updates with each new weapon model and piece of code.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  11. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

They used to do that, at a decent clip, KW. Then the 2.9 debacle happened. ;)

Besides, the inf team already announced on BU that they're making "Infiltraiton UT 2004"...so I think the choice on engine has already happened. ;)

12. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

Look, it's obvious Sentry are going to be making something mindbendingly cool for one of the next gen engines.

It's a foregone conclusion as far as I can see.

Let's stop hassling them and wait and see, eh?

13. OICW

OICW Reason & Logic > Religion

Don't you guys want them to set out some objectives out and properly plan before they start working anyway?

14. Demosthanese

Demosthanese .

I'd be perfectly satisfied with INF2k4 being a simple weapon mod in the beginning with
    some assault maps geared toward more realistic scenerios, but that's just me. Either
    way, in the end we will undoubtedly have the whole thing ported, unless SS goes bye
    bye.

Anyway, porting to the new engine is going to take more than just a couple of days/
    weeks. Entirely new models must be made, at least. I'm not sure to what extent the
    code must be modified, but i'm sure some changes will be made to take advantage of
    the new engine's features, but I'd bet most of the code could be left untouched,
    simply because uscript is still mostly the same as it was. Porting to Stalker or HL 2
    would take even longer since they don't work with uscript (obviously).

For now, leave SS alone. We have 2.9, which is plenty for the next few months.

15. tomcat ha

tomcat ha Well-Known Member

i hope they dont start with a full fledged mod id rather see them going step by step to keep the community

16. Wolf Being

Wolf Being .

Anything short of full-fledged and people would probably stick to 2.9 until it was done, and a mod without a community is a dead mod.

I've seen it happen with the Team Fortress 'port' to Quake3. The hardcore fans wanted QuakeWorldFortress on Q3, the mid-termers wanted TFC, the late-joiners wanted something all new and fresh, and the friction between the three eventually killed the game.

If the team still has the drive and energy to pull it off, I would love for it to happen. If they don't, I would rather they switch to OFP2 or the likes. :)

17. tomcat ha

tomcat ha Well-Known Member

ofp 2 is something im going to preorder no matter what

18. GruntX

GruntX Ruperts Handle war. Grunts Do war.

Moving to bigger and better things if possible? Right! But why discuss it? If the UT2k4 engine is free (or free for the developers), it's nothing to discuss!
    My question is: WHY THE HELL DOESN'T IT STAND BLACK ON WHITE AT THE INF SITE!? THEY ASKED FOR HELP AND TOLD US WHAT HELP THEY NEED BUT NOT ON WHAT THE HELP SHALL BE ATTACHED TO!!

I know what you will ask me now, something like: "If they told us, could you be of any value to them then?" My answer: "No, but it's great to be in the know." :D

More then adequate and hell will come with it... :) (I don't look at sigs often but the subject, in this case a .4515 inch and 230 grains heavy slug, urged me to do it...)

19. geogob

"Caps are irrelevant. Insistence is futile..."

20. keihaswarrior

keihaswarrior New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can we please just get an official word on the direction of INF. Also, can an SS team member please confirm or dismiss any rumors of a weapon patch for INF 2.9 containing weapons from the armory as well as some others.