Infiltration Bot Tweaker Application

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
I've written a program for editing the bot settings via a convenient graphical interface. It's called Infiltration Bot Tweaker and hopefully it will allow players to have better bot matches.

As of now it allows configuration of:

*Voice type
*Team (Used for multiplayer)
*Accuracy
*Skill
*Strafing
*Alertness
*Combat style
*Camping

As you can see these are basically the settings that are user configurable in regular UT.

I created this program for my own use but will most likely make it available for download soon...

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Thanks Los Pescados, I didn't want to release it until I found out if using the Infiltraiton logo was cool or not. Also, I want to make sure it's as user friendly as possible. Don't want anyone destroying their InfiltrationUser.ini file by accident... :D

I've played around with the accuracy, skill, and alertness and got some pretty satisfying results. What I'm looking for is bots that don't act stupid but at the same time don't shoot you in the forehead with a pistol-from-200-yards-while-jumping-off-a-roof on every shot..

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Do you think I should add the "Jumpy" behavior? I didn't think ppl would be much interested in tweaking that for Inf..

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by DLL
Thanks ;)
Yeah.. VB
Couldn't you use a real language instead ?
VB is the programmers equivalent of the DE in Inf ... (IMHO of course)

How big is the program ?
Do you need to have those infernal VB-dll's on your system to run the thing ?
Do you want to make the sources available to ppl ?

/me wishes I'd had time to do it meself, cause I had the same idea a while a go

Los Pescados

Infiltration Team Member
Nov 3, 2000
Surrey, BC, Canada
LOL JaFO.. let's not worry what he's writing it in. Writing it in VB will allow him to get it done fast, and that's all I care about. He can easily provide 2 downloads, 1 w/ runtimes, the other w/o.

As for the jumpy behavior. It might be worthwhile to have the option in just so you can make sure it's turned off.. heh.

Or maybe some people want to have their bots tired all the time.

Mike

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
I thought that "jumpy" behavior was as in someone being jumpy. But it seems that it's for making bots jump all the time?

-kain-

lurker
Apr 3, 2001
England
can you edit the bots that make up your teams with this? I've found no way to do this in the .ini files but maybe you have? :hmm:

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
JaFo,
Sorry, all I know is Visual Basic (and Pascal from my school days :p ). I've done a few things in C++ when I couldn't do it in VB, but I'm not very proficient in C++ and VB is perfect for editing ini files.

The setup package is 2.01 MB and includes all the Visual Basic files needed to run it. The executable by itself is a whopping 152k.

SPR - I want to test all the functions on a few different machines before I release it. I can't really give you a date. :( But don't worry, I want to get it out to you guys ASAP.

Last edited:

bastard_o

Lead Designer
Excellent job "DLL"

I wish I had a bigger thumb image... A fine job "DLL"

Please pay no attention to JaFO I have been programming for 26 years and have used nearly every "BASIC" that has ever been developed, from DEC PDP 11-70 Basic+2 (Mainframe) to todays PowerBasic and of course the excellent development Tool VB6.

I also know Object Pascal, "C", "C++", "COBOL"... etc etc.. and have used VB since version 1.

All development tools have their pluses and minuses... and there are GOOD programmers and BAD programmers, there are also ppl who think they are GOOD programmers when in fact they are NOT.

VB has its limitations, distribution and installation problems, but so do other IDE's.

But one thing I do know is that you can't beat the development time of VB, if you are a professional developer.

Anyway enough of that... I don't want to start a flame war regarding application development tools and which one is better etc...

Regarding your Bot tweaking tool... Great stuff, please make that available a.s.a.p... I will love to see it and use it...

If you need a web site for its distribution please let me know we could set up a download link from the "Realworld" site.

Also could you make two versions of the downloadable, an installable one and one with just the exe for ppl who have all the necessary OCX's and DLL's already... :)

Cool work dude..

keek

mapper
Nov 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.phys.uu.nl
Man, man.. what a lot of bull on this post about what language is best and even about what gun is best! Well.....if I can take part in this.....;)
First... the DE is just done very cool in INF !
Second... I'm not debating internal pro's and cons on VB, but ... UT and INF run on more platforms than Windows only. How about VB??? Will it be easy to make a port for linux and mac users?
Third: I think the base skill is the bot skill you can set in the menu before starting a game, ie "adept" or "godlike". But I could be wrong...

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by DLL
JaFo,
Sorry, all I know is Visual Basic (and Pascal from my school days :p ). I've done a few things in C++ when I couldn't do it in VB, but I'm not very proficient in C++ and VB is perfect for editing ini files.

The setup package is 2.01 MB and includes all the Visual Basic files needed to run it. The executable by itself is a whopping 152k.

SPR - I want to test all the functions on a few different machines before I release it. I can't really give you a date. :( But don't worry, I want to get it out to you guys ASAP.

If you are at least aware of the potential problems and you know the language then that is good enough. I was just curious as to why you used VB.

It's the bad (usually & amateur) programmers that really give VB the bad reputation, so I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to the language used.

As for which 'language' is the best : I agree that discussion is just as useless as the discussion if the DE really is bad gun.
It's all down to personal preference & experience.

I'm a professional developer myself (guess which language I use at workm :D ) , though not with the experience bastard'o has (I only know MSX-basic, C, C++, Object Pascal, Delphi & javascript) ).

Testing & debugging is 80% of all the work on a program, so take all the time you need DLL.
It's real easy to underestimate the kind of problems you'll face.

Midwinter

sneaky bastard
Oct 15, 2000
Valencia, Spain
Visit site
sorry, but i have to push this a little further off-topic :D , because of this...

I only know MSX-basic.....

Wow, those were the times.... 28815 bytes free to make MSX-Basic programs... maybe somebody could port INF to MSX-basic?? :D

P.S. The MSX-Basic was designed by Microsoft and it was almost identical to the GW-Basic for the PC (though better, because you could program music, sprites, etc...)

Sorry for the off-topic, but JaFo has touched my nostalgia with this :)