Inf weapons intro

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ironword300

Mar 2, 2016
I've been asking lots of questions and getting lots of help here, and feel a bit guilty because I'm not going to be joining any servers anytime soon, being pretty much a confirmed SP guy and also having blown all my future playtime for a couple of months just getting back up to speed with Infiltration (it's complicated if you've been away for over a decade, forgot everything, and are essentially starting from scratch, not just with Inf but UT99 as a whole).

So in token recompense for the great help I've gotten, I offer some reference docs I've cooked up for myself. Because I'm not a weapons expert--my brother-in-law takes me shooting every once in a while, and that's about the extent of my hands-on experience--one of the things I did over the past month or so was to cobble together a guide to my favorite Inf weapons, since the best way to learn about something is to write about it. And it may be of service and enjoyment to others, especially newcomers who would like a solid introduction. I suspect that people attracted to Inf, as opposed to less strict mods, are the type who do like a bit more depth to their gaming.

This is not, however, a complete introduction: I just wrote up the weapons I like best, about 60% of the total Inf makes available. In addition, I began creating this reference just for myself. Only toward the end did I realize that I was doing a decent enough job that others might benefit from it. Therefore I didn't cite sources, either for the information or the photos. Most of both--probably about 80%--came from Wikipedia and government sources such as the official SEAL site; the rest is from other Vietnam war sites and random weapons bloggers. No text except for a phrase here and there--never an entire sentence--is simply cut-and-pasted from elsewhere except for two quotations, so it's almost all my own writing (there's basically no plagiarism of the first order). However, because sources are not cited, the whole thing comprises plagiarism of the second order, and ditto for the images. Therefore this needs to be kept in private circulation between Infiltrationers--please don't post it on any server (such as OldUnreal's) for general download. Also, apologies for the fact that it's not all just a single PDF file but is divided up into segments; that's a function of the fact that CorelDraw is a graphics app, not a word processor, and it doesn't do well with multiple pages. But the heavy use of images, often with superimposed captions, meant that no word processor on the market--not even WordPerfect, which is light-years ahead of M$ Word in its handling of graphics as well as much else--could do what was necessary.

A caveat about the content: this is meant as much to generate enthusiasm and excitement as it is to offer genuine knowledge. Hopefully it's not too badly off, but I'm not very knowledgeable in this area, and I don't doubt that those with greater wisdom will find a great deal to disagree with here. And sometimes I'm just frankly speculating, as in the OICW reference when I say that the trigger-guard buttons are for adjusting the Windowed range. That's just a guess--couldn't find any genuine info on OICW operation. Sorry; I did the best I could. And, hey, let's remember that it's for a game--"as real as it gets" as far as good intentions go, but still, this is not a writeup for Jane's, it's for a game based on--after all--the Unreal engine. And it looks pretty! ;) Takes me back to when I used to check out those old C. B. Colby books from the library as a kid...

A note about the last segment, the OICW reference: I had pretty much finished a whole five-page section on the XM29 but CorelDraw had enough of the project and corrupted the file (as I said, it doesn't like projects with multiple pages). There simply wasn't time to redo it, so I just quickly cobbled together this two-page spec sheet.

The link will probably go down in a few months, so if you think it's of value, feel free to hang onto the archive and pass it around to other Inf-ers; just don't make it publicly available on one of the UT99 download sites. The general issue of not having cited sources is perhaps not that big a deal outside an academic environment, since 1) it's all my own writing, and 2) I've made it clear that the doc is not to be construed as authoritative; and most of the photos are government-issue and thus freely useable. Furthermore, those that aren't would be legally covered under fair use because each of them, as an individual image, constitutes only a small part of the whole composition. However, there's one major sticking point that I'd feel bad about. A few photos in the M60 section are from Vietnam vet sites, and if I were going to upload this for general release, I would have to take the time to re-figure-out exactly where I got those pics (I didn't keep track), and go ask formal permission. Because the vets are sharing their images with the world already, I don't doubt that the permission would be forthcoming, but for obvious reasons I would still want to ask--and I have no further time to mess with this. Ergo, this doc is not for full public release.

Link: http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/PofkA1rl/file.html

Last edited: