INF War!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MoNDoGuY

Groin grabbingly good!
Apr 5, 2001
CANADA!!!!!
ghost.clanpages.com
As the war gets under way, and one clan begins to claim land, which means they have more to defend, this could get very demanding on the clan. If they are being challenged every night for territory this can get very annoying. There has to be of course a schedule like ILCR where every Wednesday is match night.

Hypenotist

Catharsis hypothesis
Mar 15, 2001
perhaps they can hire from the mercenaries then. Things are being worked out as we speak, you'll want to check the site for updates.

ElectricSheep

Tommy Vegas
May 11, 2000
Newark, DE
This all sounds very intruguing, and really adds a new dimension to the game....

Sitting around listening to APC, I started thinking about this more. As Infiltration stands now, all of this can be done via a more pen-a-paper methodology where clans report back to a neutral pary for victories/resource use/etc.

Perhaps in the future (like when Infiltration moves to Unreal 2, but maybe before that) all of this can be autmoated within infiltration itself. Picture this:

A small cluster of dedicated servers runs 24/7, or some consisten period each day. Each server is password protected, and *only* runs one map. Each map can then be given to either force Red, force Blue, or none (neutral territory). One password is for the Red team, and one password is for the Blue. Servers which are running maps accessible to Red have the red password. Same for Blue. Now, here's the kicker: Matches between forces are *never* prescheduled. Instead, either force can make a submission to the server for a preplanned strike. Information such as time of the operation, number of players participating in the operation, and how many reinforcements are allowed is securely transmitted to the server. At the time of the operation, the team making the attack is allowed to log into the server for play. If the force successfully eliminates the opposing team, they get to capture the map. If the force is detected and eliminated by the opposing team, they just lost valuable man-power to a bungled operation. This allows for truly covert strikes, and requires that teams populate thier servers during wartime hours each day to guard against these surprise attacks. At the end of the war-period, be it a week, a month, or whatever, the servers will tabluate all of the final results and reset for the next war.

A system like this requires careful planning by each force. Manpower needs to be divided up in order to ensure that each map is guarded properly during wartime hours. If an attacker should die in the course of an operation, they are allowed to respawn *only* if there are any remaining reinforcement points. Otherwise, they will not be able to actively play on the server until another operation is scheduled. If an operation fails, that team is no longer allowed to log into the server until another operation is scheduled. What about the defenders? If they should be attacked, they are allowed to make a call for reinforcements. These reinforcements will arrive only after a preset time which is specific to each map. When they do arrive, they are added to the respawn pool for that team. When a defender dies, they can cash in a reinforcement to respawn and continue the fight. Certain areas on maps can be designated as reinforcement access points. If these locations are controlled by the defending team when reinforcements are scheduled to arrive, they are allowed to use the additional manpower. If the attacking team captures these locations before reinforcements have arrived, the defenders are effectively 'cut off' and left to their own. Any losses that the defenders or attackers take are deducted from thier pool of man-power. If any team's man-power pool goes to zero, they have lost the war.

I suppose home bases should not have any delay for calling in reinforcements, or any reinforcement access locations. Instead, defending players can respawn as many times as the remainder of the man-power pool allows. This means that running a war of attrition is a viable tactic. Drain the enemies man-power at the cost of a few maps until thier forces are stretched so thin that a all out push to the home base can be made without signifigant trouble. One a home base falls to the enemy, the war is over.

All that really needs to be done for this is to have a system for sharing information securely between servers. Things like which map belongs to which team, how many man-power points a given team has left, which maps are accessible to which teams, etc

I admit that stuff like this is a pretty ambitious undertaking, but it would revolutionize Infiltration utterly.

In a word: Cool.

{GD}Ghost

Counter Terrorist Operative
Mar 25, 2001
Classified
home.attbi.com
I have an idea. Since most of these ideas are great ideas, please, in addition to posting here type a fleshed out version of your idea and email it to me. Not all ideas will be implemented right away, of course, but the good ideas will be kept "on file" and implemented at an appropriate time.

I cannot stress enough that in the beginning, we are going to keep things simple. Excuse my analogy, but you gotta learn how to kiss before you can ****. :) For those with young ears. You've gotta walk before you can run.

I am not in any way discouraging any ideas for advance features, but like INF itself, some of these features will be implemented at a future date.

Here is the flow of developement I'd like to take for this project:

Planning,
execution
Testing.
implementation

One thing that will have to be solved before this can fairly and effectively work, is the ghost recon situation. I do believe that the INF team will have a solution to this issue in 2.86. I know many of you are as excited as I am, or more so, to get this thing rolling, but I will say this til I start to sound like a broken record. INF is a success, not because they rushed things into production and pushed it out to the public, it was a success because they put ALOT into the planning and testing phase. Let us take our cue from them if we expect success. ****, half of the fun is the developement process.

Lastly, for this post, I'd like to throw out a tentative name for the league: World War Infiltration......just an idea.

Mac_Fodder

Just 1 more post.
Oct 18, 2000
Wow

I pop my head out for a couple of days and it seems like the idea is all fleshed out. I'd love to help where I can. I checked out the page and think its a great start.

Bein a Mac user I've been limited in what I could do for the INF community, in that Unreal Ed was not proted over. But seeing as this is all web based there if finally something that I may be able to get involved in.

Ghost, or whom ever is actually going to head up the implementation, let me know what you need help with. I have some limited HTML skills, I don't mind proofreading, once I get my cable modem, probably in a couple of months, I'll probably want to join a clan. Though I know I can't get into one that is too time intensive. So I may end up a merc weather I want to or not.

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
Mercs will be always welcome, and I think their role will be greater than anyone expects as Clans become overstretched in their conquest of the world map.

We'll probably be needing a dedicated team of grunts to keep track of territories/resources/loadouts/new applications for maps, etc. I doubt any of those tasks will be the responsibility of any one person as they would slowly go insane :)

Send me an email, and join in the WWI (World War Infiltration) forum. Ghost has also tentatively scheduled a chat for tonite (yes, very short notice, but hey, at least we're moving :); go see if you can make either of the times (I have a conflict with his timing) as well. <b>That goes for anyone reading this interested in the project.</b>

We have 3 mercs on board as of now (Hypenotist, The Fur and Maddog) and 2 clans (Limey and GHOST, I assume GD may be joining as well). If yer in a clan and interested, talk to your clan leader about it. I'll be soliciting clans on clan forums as wel, but any help appreciated.

[L]-Damodred

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Rules of engagement (preliminary sketch)

The rules of engagement (submitted for approval).

WORLDR-P1.gif

lay-out
-The maps distributed across the world map, each map will get it’s own “country”.
-Each country gets specific characteristics (see countries).
-Every clan gets one country and they can fight or bargain over other countries.

Movement
-A specified amount of time a week a clan can submit a movement plan.
-movement costs the clans resources, cash for now.
-movement costs will depend on the means of transportation the distance, and the amount of troops.
-movement speed will also depend on the amount of troops transported and the means of transportation.

Resources
-Cash, each country provides a monthly income in cash, cash can be used to hire mercs, bargain over countries and buy transportation.
-troops, each country provides a monthly influx of new recruits, recruits are translated into reinforcements.

Combat
-Who defends or attacks depends on a few factors: Who owns the country will defend in the case of a meeting engagement the one with the higher movement speed may defend.
-Defense/offense: The defenders may stay at their base, this is a placeholder until EAS is implemented. It is the attackers job to capture the base. If a attacker is in the base when time runs out and no defenders are in the base the attackers succeed and the defenders will have to withdraw to the nearest friendly or neutral area. If only Hostile areas surround them they may retreat to the nrearest friendly area but they will lose 25pct of their troops per distance unit.
-Reinforcements have to be allocated in the movement plan, reinforcements mean respawns or waves (choice remains, if decided upon waves it will mean if the goal is not met when time runs out a cease fire is met and the battle will be postponed to the next day). The reinforcements allocated will be translated to the total amount of players that are alolowed to be deployed by one side).
-If a territory is won on the way and the movement plan states that they are to move urther the team may attack another country (provided it was planned in the 1st mission plans).

Some things that have not been included, weapons costs, weapons as resources, captured equipment etc. I suggest we wait till the inf team has finished the loadout system so it is possible to track loadouts.

Uli

is hating the music of the INFradio Site.
Jan 18, 2001
hmm my ideas
(sorry if something is already posted, but i have no time to read 3 pages...pretty slowly, iam german :O)

ok
there should be no end of the war, only if the enemy team is completely removed.

ok my IDEAS:
i would make some strategy-elements, like there are training camps and so which are must be defended. in these camps there are soldiers (evry player has only one life, if he dies his character is dead for the whole war) trained. For evry sector the team get some ressources (points or so) with it can train soldiers (new players to fight in the war, which have been killed)

hmm that was pretty difficult to write for me, my english is very bad, i cant clearly explain, perhaps some germans here could translate my ideas...or summary..
sorry

German:
Meine ideen;
Es gibt eine Sektorenkarte wo ungefähr 20 sektoren verzeichnet sind, keine ahnung ungefähr halt. davon sind einige landstriche andere sind stadtteile oder trainingscamps, airports und so. Am Anfang können sich die INF spieler für ein Team für eine Partei entscheiden für die sie kämpfen wollen. (möglichst gleich viele halt)
Jedes Team hat einen HEIMSEKTOR der sehr einfach zu verteidigen ist und schwer einnehmbar ist. Einmal am Tag können die mitglieder des jeweiligen Teams abstimmen welchen Sektor sie als nächstes angreifen wollen. (oder Ein Leiter des jeweiligen Teams wird gewählt) Dann wird bestimmt wo welcher Soldat sich in welchem Sektor aufhält. Am Anfang hat jedes Team 10 sektoren (mit homebase) trainingscamps und so. Für jeden Sektor den es kontrolliert bekommt das Team Punkte. Mit den Punkten können neue Soldaten in den trainingscamps ausgebildet werden(also es werden dort gestorbene Spieler wiederbelebt,aber nur so viele wie Punkte da sind)Das Ziel jedes Team ist es die Homebase des gegner einzunehmen, verliert er diese hat er verloren. Wer Flughäfen kontrolliert bekommt Munitions und Waffennachschub, können neue Waffen und so gekauft werden. es gibt begrenzte munition und so. In Krankenlagern können Verletzte behandelt werden. Das alles wird mit Punkten bezahlt. Für besonders gute Leistungen der einzelnen Spieler bekommt das ganze Team extra Punkte, auch besonders für teamplay wie in Frontline Force. VIelleicht wenn das möglich ist, können auch die Sektoren verändert werden in dem Gebäude gebaut werden in den Gebieten, wie Trainingscamps, Mauern Stacheldraht Bunkeranlagen und so... es müsste ein Oberkommando an Mapdesigner geben das die Maps so verändert.
ich kann jetz ewig so weiterschreiben und mir noch viel mehr so zeug ausdenken aber es bringt mir nichts wenns mir keiner übersetzt... bitte wenn das hier ein Deutscher liest und englisch kann es bitte auf Englisch zusammenzufassen und zu posten. ich wäre im sehr dankbar. bevor ich weiterschreibe muss ich wissen ob das hier übersetzt wird...

Hypenotist

Catharsis hypothesis
Mar 15, 2001
heh.. ok here it is from babel fish

German: My ideas; There is a sector card where approximately 20 sectors is registered, no notion stop of it is approximate some regions others is quarters or trainingscamps, air port and so. At the start the INF player can want to fight for a team for a party to decide for it (as equivalent as possible many stop) each team has a HOME SECTOR to that very easily to defend is and is with difficulty einnehmbar. Then once on day the members of the respective team can want to attack to co-ordinate which sector it next (or a director/conductor of the respective team selected) where which soldier in which sector are certainly. At the start each team has 10 sectors (with homebase) trainingscamps and so. For each sector it controlled receives the team points. With the points new soldiers can become into trainingscamps trained werden(also it player died there revived, but only as many as points there sind)Das target each team it is to be taken the Homebase opponents, loses it these it lost. Who gets airports controlled ammunition and weapon supply, new weapons know and in such a way are bought. there is limited ammunition in such a way and. In patient stocks can hurt to be treated. All this is paid with points. For particularly good performances of the individual players the whole team receives specially points, also particularly for teamplay as in front LINE Force. VIelleicht if that is possible, can also the sectors be changed in the building to be built in the areas, how Trainingscamps would have to give, to walls stacheldraht bunkers and in such a way... it a supreme command at map designers that the maps in such a way changes I can jetz continue to write eternally in such a way and things do not bring to invent still much more in such a way however it to me me anything wenns me none translated... please if that a German read here and it can combine please on English and into post I would be English in very grateful before I continues to write must I know whether that is translated here...

The-Doc

Some random guy
Nov 18, 2000
Middle of nowhere, UK
This is pretty deep stuff so far..

You lot have obviously out a HELL of a lot of time into it, but (like Uli, I don't have time/am too lazy to read all of 3 pages or stuff on one subject, so sorry if I'm re posting something.

Anyhow this is my contribution:

If there will be reinforcements in the game, per round/level, I would suggest that if they are going to get back into the fray, perhaps they should wait about 1 to 3 minutes, in the back of an APC/transport vehicle, for more reinforcements to arrive.

This will give the team more time to plan, and work out a strategy, of what each team member has to do before they get stuck in.

Anyway... thats my two pence into this discussion.

Bye

Nanodragon

I love you Lord Daftwager
Feb 24, 2001
Translation attempt

I'm Swiss and I'll try to translate:
There should be a sectormap with about 20 sectors. Some of them should be cities, countryside or training camps. In the beginning the players can subscribe to a clan.
Every team has a homebase, which is very easy to defend and hard to conquer.
The members can vote once a day which territory they want to attack. (or a team leader gets elected) Then the teams decide where the starting location of each soldier will be. In the beginning, every team has 10 sectors, including a homebase and training camps etc.
A team receives points for each sector it controls. With these points, a team can train (hire new soldiers or resurrect fallen soldiers) new soldiers . The objective of every team is to defeat the other teams by taking over their homebases. If a team loses its homebase, it loses the war. A team which controls airports receives weapons. Soldiers can be healed in medical camps. All of those actions have to be paid with points. If a team member achieves something extraordinary, the whole team receives points. (like in frontline force) Buildings could be built (the map designers change the maps).
Ok that's about it. He'll write more if someone translates (Yay).
Dragonfly

Nanodragon

I love you Lord Daftwager
Feb 24, 2001
Damn!

You must've been translating faster than I. The whole work for nuthin!
Bad luck
Dragonfly

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
I like the last idea, but it's a bit complicated. It looks like we're going to start out <b>simple</b> and increase complexity as time goes on and as we see how much we can handle.

All of the ideas suggested are great, but a great many of them imply a ton of overhead, all of it done by us, the Inf War team.

Keep them coming people and don't be dismayed if you don't see them in the very first war, or even the second one. I want to see most of these implemented, eventually!

[L]-Damodred

{GD}Ghost

Counter Terrorist Operative
Mar 25, 2001
Classified
home.attbi.com
In Black and White

Well, here it is, the WW Infiltration idea all fleshed out......sorta, in black and white. I was finally able to sit down and work through some of the ideas that were cascading through my head for this war league idea. It can be viewed at this url: http://members.home.net/ghostdogshq/WWInfiltration.htm

Keep in mind that the goals are simplicity, ease of play and to maintain the focus on INF gameplay, merely transferred to a map conquest style of clan competition. There are many things that still need to be worked out. The biggest of which is the site coding. I'd like to use www.provinggrounds.com and www.worldogl.com as a model. The question is: do we have the skills available to pull something like this off? Or would OGL or PG let us work it into their current setup. (future ideas). All the more reason to get together and start formal meetings regarding this.

Last edited:

Uli

is hating the music of the INFradio Site.
Jan 18, 2001
thank you a lot HYPENOTIST and NANODRAGON for translating! thanks!:eek:)

now last night i have written many pages bout INF WAR and have a idea to make it not so complex to create it for the team and its easy to build.

ghost:
can you give me your ICQ number? i want talk with you more about inf war and i can send you my work, some pages about my ideas.

i post a bit of it later here, someone have to translate please...... :eek:(

asmodeus

DB addict
Mar 25, 2001
www.williamscanady.com
okay Uli, I am very interested in seeing your work, I am myself working on something, email me or ICQ me (6315430) if you want, we can connect and discuss a bit.

This is the way things are going forward:)

I must admit it is going rather well

asmodeus

DB addict
Mar 25, 2001
www.williamscanady.com
Also, to everyone, we need map suggestions (for a reference, all maps in REAL MAPS have been considered, accepted, rejected or under advisement)

so, if you guys have maps we have not heard of, are not reviewed on REAL MAPS or are brand new, we'd love to hear from you

also, I gladly accept any piece of advice, or will enjoy contact with mappers willing to create and/or modify maps for the benefit of the great war!