INF Server Connection Issues

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kitty.cat

It'll work, just not the right way.
Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
Okay, remembering ye olden days when I had random red boxing every so often and it drove me nuts, but I dealt with it cos it wasn't too bad.

Well, I've been playing stuff like CoD4 and even (lawlz) Counter-Strike:Source with some buddies. Why this is relevant: I've been playing Euro servers, and have had no problem. I get around 200-275 ping. No problems.

So, I just reinstall INF on my Windows and things are going great, excited to see how many things work that never did on the Mac OS, and I join up one of the Euro servers. Red boxing, red boxing, red boxing, unplayable. "Well fark," I said to myself, and joined one of the NA servers. I get about 42 ping, followed by many many large spikes per minute of 3k+ ping. The Euro servers behave about the same, giving 150-250 ping also followed by giant spikage.

Okay, what on earth? No other games do this, I know I can handle out-of-country servers, and even an NA server causing trouble for me?
It could just be some weird archaic Windows thing I haven't learned about yet, any ideas?

Also, what could I post that would help discover any problems?

Last edited:

Black.cat

May 11, 2006
Michigan
You know I was getting the same weird lag spikes when I first reinstalled INF. Even on some of the NA servers, but it was real bad on the Euro servers. Now I've always had around 150 to 200+ ping on most Euro servers with very little trouble, although this was a few years ago. Now since coming back INF it seems far worst than what it use to be. It seems to jump when I get into a fire fight at close range, my ping would jump to 900 :eek:...it never did that before.

Now, as of yesterday, when I was playing I didn't get any real what I would call playing issues; it would spike here and there but still very playable. BTW, I'm on cable and I use windows, so all I can say(for me anyways) is it kinda sorta fixed itself, which I know thats not the case. ;)

Kitty.cat

Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
I switched it from Cable, which is the default, to LAN.

I switched it, by the way, BECAUSE of the lag spikes.

Didn't fix it.

Kitty.cat

Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
Okay. So the answer is reverse orderage:
I set it to ISDN just for giggles and it fixed it. Go figure.

Black, you could try this in the future if it happens again.