1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

In what ways is man different than animals?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by _Zd_3s_, Aug 14, 2003.

1. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

Animals cannot weep, cannot laugh, cannot blush, cannot create (case in point, only humans are artistic), and are not self-determinate. Their cultures and "knowledge" of right and wrong are the product of learned behaviors, whereas humans can extrapolate information to draw hypotheses.

2. spineblaZe

spineblaZe VFX Extraordinaire

Homosexuality doesn't happen with any other animals besides humans. I wonder then, what one could possibly deduce from that statement...

3. W0RF

As an isolated sexual preference, I guess not. But in fairness, during the mating season, some animals will hump anything they can find, living dead or inanimate.

4. spineblaZe

spineblaZe VFX Extraordinaire

:lol: Very true!!! I wish my dog would stop humping my leg...

5. Inhale

Inhale Ex-Raven

Now i dont mean this racist at all but have you ever seen a black person blush.

Also there were animals of the same sex LIVING together in nests or whatever and would not go near or even bother the opposite sex.

6. W0RF

Not as such, but not every animal on earth is of darker pigment. Anyway, blushing as an action, and not just a physiological reaction, is a sign of self-consciousness or shame, a trait I don't think animals really carry.

7. Inhale

Inhale Ex-Raven

I can see what you mean but i do think some animals have emotion's, my dog instance some times he will be really loving and want to be around you other times go near him and he's gonna growl a hell of alot, also your forgeting about the way some animals treat their young, yes it maybe instinct but they must have some feeling towards them to bother and use those instinct's. Theres just way to much we dont know about animals to know if they do have emotions or not, but what we do know is they have the same (sort of) part of the brain to create emotions, we just dont know if it is fully used.

8. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

Do they vote? :p

9. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

Termites build some of the most complete structures known on this world :)

10. lunchblaze

lunchblaze Codlike

long time ago,
    saw a program that stated that the human species was the only one on the planet who's female is capable of deriving physical pleasure from the sex act - i.e. the clitoris.

but even on that program they hinted that the tiger might be an exception to the rule. was about 10 years ago, so they might have totally disproven themselves by now.

aside from that,
    i would have to say the propensity to play air guitar when Foghat comes on - no animals are highly evolved enough to do that.

11. .altan

.altan Tomorrow

I understand you've never heard of a "lab-rat" then ;)

12. .altan

.altan Tomorrow

There are certain animals that can weep. Monkeys can laugh, and I believe they are capable of blushing and artistic creativity as well, and they are self-determinate. Our cultures and "knowledge" of right and wrong are the product of learned behaviours as well: Nature and Nurture.

13. lunchblaze

lunchblaze Codlike

Napiyosun!

14. TheEndruu

TheEndruu Ol' Zimmy

I don't see how we can say animals don't have religion. Who's to say chimpanzees don't believe in some higher power?

15. .altan

.altan Tomorrow

WTF, that's Turkish :eek:

16. w00p

w00p Windows at its best

Interesting thing to think about:
    maybe all life on earth will on one day come to the same level as human kind, once monkey's, dogs, horses, EVERY animal will be as intelligent and inventive as man kind. But the main though is:
    Imagine how lucky we all are.
    We, from a zillion, we are lucky enough to be the first in evolving into something more intelligent.

Who knows, maybe in a few 100 years monkeys will have made their own technology or so. Heh, imagine a hamster with a computer. ^^

Its about the same concept as we all, out of 10 million, the number one sperm, the ultimate winner.
    Imagine how many different persons you could have been. Wich suddenly in a thought brings me to this question: where does concioussness come from? the egg or the sperm (sorry, don't know the proper scientific names in english)
    I mean, it would suck if 10 million little fishy's realised they have lost and will all be dead before the next 3 days...
    but hey, they're long gone, it gives an incredible feeling to think about the fact that EVERYBODY, in his own way, is a major winner... or a lucky ferk...

so is mankind, either we are major winners, as in our ancestors really worked hard to evolve, or we're just lucky ferk's to be the first highly intelligent in the evolutionary chain.

17. .altan

.altan Tomorrow

I don't think they will have the chance to do that as long as we're in control :hmm:

18. TheEndruu

TheEndruu Ol' Zimmy

I say we enslave them. We have enough competition with our selves ;)

19. w00p

w00p Windows at its best

What if we are the first, but not the best?
    what if the average dumb (lets say some stupid looking animal) sloth will be as intelligent as einstein?
    I guess the enslavement won't last long.

Oh yeah, and that thing about female animals no physical orgasm...
    My dog (female) oftenly masturbates by the form of licking the pelvic area. And oftenly, when she's done with it, she's heavily breathing...
    I think animals have physical orgasms... ;)
    or the dog evolved in the last 10 years to have a clitoris? :p

20. TheEndruu

TheEndruu Ol' Zimmy

When I first thought of new species and competition, I was like scared and thought "enslave them". I don't think that's all too different from what happened when people had African slaves. I take back the enslaving thing in that case.