1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Improved Singleplayer

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Scotty, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Scotty

Scotty New Member

You know, for those unfortunate people out there who don't have good (if any) internet connection (like me a couple of years ago :(). Here are some basic ideas.

The first thing to do when the you start the game should be to create a profile. Then you choose to either participate in the tournament or play a skrimish (instant action) game. This way your statistics (kills, wins, awards) won't be monitored in the tournament (which eventually ends) only. Or you could have separate statistics or something. You should also be able to play with your tournament team in skrimish against other tournament teams (once you've finished the tournament, maybe).

The species skill mutator should always be on in the tournament. And there could be some advanced skills for certain species. Like Necris with Vampire Mutator, Skaarj with Quad Jump. Recruitment and release of teammates shouldn't be so simple. Atleast when someone bloodrites your teammate he should be in the correspondenting team, not with the other free agents. And you should have a couple of extra slots for reserve teammates. Theere could be the option to train your teammates. Like a free-for-all deathmatch with the teammates you choose to train in the end of which the skills of those teammates improve. There could be a morale skill, which affects the willingness of yout teammates to follow your orders. It could be affected by your preformance in the tournament for some teammates or by simply participating in the battle for other, more violent teammates

There should be more stuff to do with your money. Like buying armor and weapons and even mechs in the begining of a tournament. And there sould be more stuff to do after you become the champion. There could even be a second tournament in which you should defend your title.

2. Rk.

Rk. Sleezy bastard.

I'm so with the moral idea, but the armor-and-mech thing is awful.

3. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

The problem with 'morale' is that it can get very complicated and annoying very quickly. You wouldn't want your best attacker sitting on his behind just because you didn't use him in the last match. That's not to say that they should act like dumb drones, but it does mean that chosing a 'bad' teammate shouldn't kill your chances of succes. Think of it as a bit of extra flavour ...

Same applies to anything related to money for equipment or training. It shouldn't be the UT-equivalent of 'Championship manager', altough a little extra depth is nice.

I think an old pc-game called 'speedball' (which seemed to be based on a high-tech version of ice-hockey & rollerball) got the management-aspect right.

The team-aspect of the game should definitely be something you can see in effect in the instant-action section as well. I think setting up a ctf-match between two 'official' teams (like 'the corrupt' and Malcolm's team) is a lot more interesting compared to a random match with 8 bots.

4. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

I beleive Epic said that some bots will have more 'personality' and Malcolm, Brock, and Lauren (Their used to be a concept drawing of lauren and others in the ut2007 section of this site but it is'nt their anymore :( ) will act more 'wiser'.

I dont like the idea of buying mechs and whaterver.

5. truegamer

truegamer New Member

I have been screaming since day one about a season-like single player atmosphere. Most of these ideas could come in handy very well to expand the whole idea....

Which was....

To have a bunch of teams in the tournament with a win-loss record and the ability to proceed win-or-lose through the entire "season." 10+ games per ladder, ladders per each integral game mode. By the end all ladders are completed, top X teams go into playoffs. Then, from there, you have the whole thing like divisional championships and nationals or whatever. Then, after all other teams are eliminated, you have two teams who battle for championship. \

It's perfect. The replay value is insane.