1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Impracticality of AKMSU

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Crito, Dec 26, 2003.

1. jaunty

jaunty If you disagree with me, you're wrong.

Yeah. My bad. It's been so long since I've actually had to think about it that I got confused :p

Your macros are old and dated. You have failed to commit the act of funny. To commemorate this failure of yours, and my triumph over Crito (he forfeited), here's another macro;

[​IMG]

2. randomas

randomas New Member

Thanks for the explanation it was what I suspected. I was wondering about other ammo as well, mainly sniper rifle mags like 308 WIN and 338 lapua.

I was also going through tje Beretta web pages wondering weather it would make any sence to suggest any of their rifles (Italian army uses them).

rifles
    sniper rifles

thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2004
  3. Big_Duke_06

Big_Duke_06 Charlie Don't Surf!

randomas: The Beretta weapons look very nice, but it seems that there is already a glut of 5.56mm NATO assualt rifles in the armory - the SIG 551, FAMAS G2 and M16A2... Along with hints from Beppo that we may yet see the G36C and M4 in UT-based Infiltration.

What would the Beretta rifles do that the SIG/FAMAS/M16/G36C/M4 don't already do? They cover pretty much all the bases: full-length rifle (M16A2, FAMAS), carbine (SIG 551, M4), bullpup (FAMAS), short carbine/SMG (G36C)...

I just don't see what the Berettas would add other than just having another weapon in the armory...

Matthew

4. jaunty

Calibers listed as a decimal number, such as .45 ACP or .300 WinMag are just as simple.

The number is simply a fraction of an inch. .50 is half an inch in diameter (12.7mm * 2 = 25.4mm), for example. Whether it was actually intended to be such when they started using it I have no idea, and whether it's actually supposed to be treated as a fraction of an inch, I don't know. That's just how it works out. This is the true measurement of caliber, however. Hence terms such as "50 cal" to describe M2HBs, or perhaps you've heard them referred to as simply a "50." That's why.

The letter after the caliber are again, usually an abbreviation for a name. For example, .50 BMG is not the same as .50AE.

.50BMG is the round fired by the M2HB heavy machine gun. BMG stands for "Browning Machine Gun." .50AE, Action Express, is a much shorter round, and is fired by a certain joke of a pistol, which I'll not dignify by naming.

The letters could also be describing the specific characteristics of the round. For instance ".40 JHP" would be a 40 caliber Jacketed Hollow Point. At the same time, ".40 S&W" (Smith & Wesson) could also be a JHP round. You can see why the metric measurements are much better now, yes? :)

Most rounds have commonly accepted measurements in each system. 5.56mm NATO is .223 (it's actually .222, but they had to differentiate it from a different round, so it became .223), 7.62mm is .308

Here's a very breif list of the most common suffixes for rounds;

JHP = Jacketed Hollow Point
    FMJ = Full Metal Jacket
    JSP = Jacketed Soft Point
    S&W = Smith & Wesson
    BMG = Browning Machine Gun
    ACP = Automatic Colt Pistol (.45 ACP is the proper name for the round fired by the 1911 family)
    WinMag = Winchester Magnum
    LC = Long Colt (peacemakers and other old school revolvers fire .45 LC)
    Mag = Magnum

Some people also stick "cal" after it. That's just short for "caliber"

There's many, many more, but you'll see those more than most. And again, I'm not sure of the actual theory behind caliber measurements, but they do work out to be the decimal equivalent to the percentage of an inch that matches the diameter of the round.

i.e .50 = 50% (half) of an inch, .45 = 45% of an inch and so on.

5. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

Ditto the sniper's rifles. I think they should go for more widely used stuff next time around. I favour something from AI as they are used by several countries.

I guess by that token you rule out the L85A2 in favour of G36's and the like but I suppose I'll live with that :D

6. Meplat

Meplat Chock full-o-useless information

".50AE, Action Express, is a much shorter round, and is fired by a certain joke of a pistol, which I'll not dignify by naming. "

You mean the "Surrogate Penis-Magnum"?
    I had a regular at a shop I worked who would actually wear one of those light artillery pieces (Open carry is legal in the state I reside). He would buy a few boxes of extremely expensive ammo, waddle (Yes. WADDLE) to his BMW, and go off to perforate bowling pins, and FBI "Q"'s with them.

He stopped coming in for a while, and I wondered if he'd gotten a score on some ammo, or if he'd been in a wreck. After about a month, he comes back in, wanting to sell the DE. Seems his habit of waddling about with that hunk of iron hanging off of him had done his lower back no bit of good. He was wanting a Walther PP, or a PPK last I heard.

Meplat-

7. jaunty

I always said those things were more dangerous to the owner than to the target. Once again, I am correct :D

8. Bushwack

Bushwack Avenged Sevenfold...

The .50AE Desert Eagle makes a hell of a club if you run out of ammo for it in the meantime :D
    {not that id ever own one, i much more prefer the Magnum Research Baby eagle series of handguns, more comfortable and manageable}

9. Big_Duke_06

I used to get my panties in a buch about the Robar .50 cal. But really, I just think to myself that it is something different and I don't care so much anymore. Any replacement to the Robar would still need to be bolt-action and one-shot-kill to balance with the PSG-1 (MSG-90 in the next version anyway?)... It's not like I snipe much anyway.

As far as the G36, it seems that SS is favoring the G36C, making it more of a competitor to the AKMSU (AKS-74U? heheheh - wasn't that the original point of this thread?) as an SMG length AR than a full-length barrel L85A2 competitor.

To me, the FAMAS is more of an issue to adding the L85A2 - what would the L85A2 do that the FAMAS doesn't already? If it included the optics with no bulk penalty, that would be something. And if SS were to introduce a three-way aiming system (for weapons with optics: hipped -> through the optics -> backup iron sights), then you could say the L85A2 would be a nice addition because I understand it has some very nice backup iron sights to go with the standard optics and could be a very well balanced weapon in game as a result.

I gotta think the L85A2 is one of the top weapons that will be made by the community for addition... With references like Tiffy and others, I'm sure a very accurate version could be made - one that lives up to the high standards of the existing INF armory.

Matthew

10. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

I was thinking more in 3.0 for the "full-size assault rifle with optics" category.

Alas the G36 is used by more countries than our SA80 (even if the SA80 is much cooler) so it seems more fair that the G36 gets included.

The G36C looks to be in light usage with the odd military so perhaps it would warrant inclusion as a 10" rifle.

Interesting point about multiple sight modes. That'd be cool. Probably another balancing factor in choosing an ACOG'd rifle vs. something with a built in optic.

AI in .338 or .300WM?

11. Big_Duke_06

Yup. Could really help balance some of the weapons and loadouts. And correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't the ACOG have an "emergency backup sight" built onto the top of the housing? Coulda swore I remember reading that somewhere...

Either works. So what I do when I play is that I just imagine that the Robar is really an AI in .338 or .300WM... Works wonders, and de-bunchifies my panties.

Matthew

12. Meplat

Duke- Yes, the ACOG mounted on the M4 has a backup. it's part of the casting.

If one has to have a midcaliber "precision" rifle, one could do a hell of a lot worse than an AI product.

Meplat-

13. OICW

OICW Reason & Logic > Religion

Anyway, back of (sort of) topic: has anyone from the Inf team ever given a reason why they choose to have a Bulgarian Krinkov instead of another much more common AK type?

My understanding is that the Bulgarian Krinkov is somewhat popular among AK collectors in the US, but that's it: the AKS-74U is used by those militaries that want a short AK in 5.45X39mm.

I've personally haven't heard the phrase AKS47U mentioned by jaunty BUT I've seen stranger things with designation "cough" M1 and Americans "cough", so I accept either name for the weapon we have in Inf.

14. Meplat

OCIW- Because it's "Hella cool"?

Ahh, yes, the glorious "M-1". SO would that be the tank, the rifle, the carbine, the SMG, the helmet, or the bayonet?

Maybe the gas mask?

Meplat-(owner of more than a few "M1"'s.)

15. Spier

Spier 1

Isn't the criteria for adding a new weapon that the team, or a team member has used the weapon? Or at least have a lot of knowledge on how it handles? It would make sense.

16. randomas

randomas New Member

Thanks for the explanation for caliber and the spec codes Jaunty. I keep forgetting imperial units are still used by many.

The Beretta assault rifles I agree would be a useless adition, a friend of mine who did his military service here told me they weigh a tonne compared to other military weapons. I was more interested in the sniper rifles as they are bolt action and more exotic than the various robars, barrets and steyr scouts found in most games. I'm personally waiting for the MSG90 with trepidation seeing as it comes with bipod and suppressor attachments.

I realy want to see the L85A2 in game mainly to see what it's like to use a SUSAT sight compared to the ACOG. Anyone got any images of what the world looks like when seen through a SUSAT sight?

The triple aiming system has been long talked about. An aimed, shouldered, hipped system would be interesting to try IMO.

On topic I'd like to see more eastern block weaponry too, with attachements to go with them. I'm no expert on wich would be best, but a full rifle with scope attachment, the dragon(watchamacallit) precision rifle and possibly a bizon submachinegun. It would be cool to have a "full set" of weaponry for various countries or blocks of countries in order to have coherent fire teams. I also think this would take a hell of a community effort which will probably be further on down the line (people are still trying to figure how to add weapons and who's doing what).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  17. Tiffy

Tiffy Back to champion the L85

I posted sight pictures from both the SUSAT and SUIT sights on the forums a while back with a nice long piece about them. Unfortunately they were lost. I'll dig-around and see if I can do something like that again.

18. randomas

randomas New Member

Tiffy that would be great thanks!