1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - UT3 Importing Static Meshes from 3ds Max into UE3

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by khaern, Dec 8, 2009.

1. khaern

khaern New Member

I'm relativly new to UE3 but so far i've been doing okay :)
    Ive created a few static meshes in 3ds Max 2010 and sucsessfully exported them and imported into unreal with textures and such. My main dilema is the collision...

For instance an elevator i created, when i try to create collision in ue3 the most detailed settings still will not allow me to walk through the door.

I read somewhere that it is possible to export collision meshes from 3ds Max. if this is the case does anyone know a nice tutorial online that could help me learn this method as i have searched and not found anything of use yet. Or is there an easier way to create collision on an imported static mesh that will be the exact dimensions of said mesh?

2. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

You have to create your custom collisions in max and name it MCDCX_whatever
    Then select your mesh and the colission and export selected objects (or all if you don't have anything else in your scene)
    Then UT3 will use that as the collision

3. khaern

khaern New Member

When you say "custom collisions" is that an option within 3dsmax or is it simply a new object with the name you said?

EDIT:
    No matter how many different ways i save the new object when i import it still says there is no collision. I have duplicated the object within 3dsmax and saved the new object as MCDCX_Road but when i import that has no difference i then found something else online about saving it as a UCX so tried UCX_Road but again no difference.

Can i not use the same object duplicated?

EDIT2:
    Ah okay Now it works. I cant quite see what i changed from before but importing this time there is a collision. I saved the Collision as a UCX though as MCDCX did not work. I read elsewhere online the MCDCX was for UE2.

Thank you Bi()ha2arD :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  4. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

I never used max but when I tried it with Maya MCDCX_ worked for me so I assumed it would be the same for max.

5. khaern

khaern New Member

It may do but i had no luck with it =P I found however that UCX worked the same as MCDCX should so alls good =D

Without your input i'd never of found it anyways so thank you very much :)

6. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

No problem m8, glad you got it working.

7. nubishdubishbone

nubishdubishbone New Member

Unreal engine 3 uses a different naming convention for collision, name a copy of your object that has been optimized to "UCX_" without quotes. also make sure they are convex or you will get one large collision primitive where you dont need it.