UE2 - UT2kX Importing Old Models with a new animation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

chucko

Dec 1, 2005
I was wondering if i do a fire burning animation in maya and want to attach it to a model do i have to rerig the old model of which i am using in ut2k4 .Cause i was just going to put a fire burning animation on gorge and import him back into ut2k4 .I was hoping i could bypass the rigging by copying the jugg animation ukx and name it so it would work on my model.Or what can i do about going around rigging .Or if someone could do it for me i would appreciate it .Also i cant find how to get it into the ued so any tuts would be great .

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
If you want to give an existing UT2k4 skeletal models/meshes new animations the only way to do it is to use their existing skeleton (the source art files are out there somewhere) and animate those.

You can then import just that .psa skeletal animation file into either a .u (via #EXEC directives) or a .ukx file (via UEd).

Actually using the new animation can be tricky. If you are subclassing xPawn, then by adding a simple line like "LinkSkelAnim(NewAnimationName,)" to the PostBeginPlay function the pawn will then have access to the animation. Then you can use just a normal PlayAnim call to play the animation.

However if not creating a new pawn class, then depending on what you are trying to do with the animation, you may have to code a more elaborate work around. For instance, lets say your new animation was a new taunt. You could use a mutator to spawn a ReplicationInfo subclass that allows one client to call a "mutate DoNewTauntMove" etc. that then lets all of the other clients know that the one pawn wants to perform a new taunt move. If the client trying to play the animation is relative them (!=none) they should have that copy of the pawn link the new skelanim to itself and then play that animation: ClientPawnCopy.LinkSkelAnim(NewAnimationSet,); ClientPawnCopy.SetAnimAction('NewAnimationName');

So what exactly are you trying to do with the new animations?

chucko

Dec 1, 2005
I am wanting to make the skin/model animate a flame .Kind of like the vas on fire muttator ,but i want to make it an animation so i dont have it only on a server.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
hmm, I'm not familiar with the VAS on fire mutator. So id the character model supposed to play some kind of animation while they are burning then in addition to flame emitters?

chucko

Dec 1, 2005
The vas on fire mut is a mutator where if u had the highest score u were on fire basicaly ,Kinda funny .But i want to do an animation where my model actualy burns .Not a mut .