1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

importing from max 4.2

Discussion in 'Level Design, Skinning and Modelling' started by gamergirl1337, Mar 23, 2006.

1. gamergirl1337

gamergirl1337 New Member

does anyone know how to import floors from 3DS MAX 4.2 i am making a walkthrough of a labrynth and i imported it and the floor but for some reason the labrynth shows but not the floor and it wont let me make it or a "plane" visible! can someone please help its for my Info Tech class project i really need help!!!!!

2. eastgate2

eastgate2 Member

If I understood correctly, your floor should be a box primitive when you do it in max, not a plane. Try extruding your plane, if that's what you mean by "my floor" and then re-import it. Floors, like walls, should be standart primitive boxes if you wanna walk on them. When you import planes from 3dsmax to unreal, they come one sided, I guess that's the reason why you can't see them.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  3. gamergirl1337

gamergirl1337 New Member

thanks so much but now im having another problem...when i try to add a player start and build it...i cant move at all its like im stuck to the ground...then when i added a path it says that it was "too close to a steep incline" or "not in geometry" i dont understand that...do you know anything about it???

4. eastgate2

eastgate2 Member

Raise the player start icon in the editor up, then play and see if it helps. Otherwise your mesh might have a collision problem.

5. gamergirl1337

gamergirl1337 New Member

it won't let me place it in a certain spot i just right click and add player start here but it won't allow me to move it...is there another way to move it or how do you move if there is another way.....and what do you mean by "
    collision problem" im confused...im used to using MAX and CAD this is completely different then them...:D :D :D

6. gamergirl1337

gamergirl1337 New Member

heres what it says when i run a map check....
    can yo:D :D u help with that????

Attached Files:

• help.bmp
      File size:
      366.4 KB
      Views:
  7. eastgate2

eastgate2 Member

Try subtracting a room somewhere away, then right-click on a surface and add a player start. Then move the player start icon over where you want in your room, slightly up in the air. Also if your video card is ATI, try turning anti-aliasing off.

By collision problem, I might mean your mesh might be too complex for unreal. If that's the case, try to divide your mesh into several pieces and import them to ued in different pieces and then bring them together.

Yes unreal is different from max of cad but when you get the workflow, you'll be able to import whatever you see in max to unreal, which is very nice. I hope you already checked the tutorials at udn.epicgames.com(especially max to unreal stuff)

8. gamergirl1337

gamergirl1337 New Member

for some reason i cant make a room anywhere else (nor can i make ANYTHING anywhere other than right in the middle of the labrynth everything i make goes to the same place and either im not trying to move it the right way(holding shift and dragging on diff mouse combinations) or theres something wrong any ideas?

what do you mean by mesh? the object itself??? just like i said i know nothing about this...lol....i did check those tutorials but could find nothing of use...

9. eastgate2

eastgate2 Member

Hmmm...I don't know really. I guess Angel Mapper will answer. (Yes mesh means the object you import from max, generally.)

10. gamergirl1337

gamergirl1337 New Member

who or what is angel mapper????

me noob i know...:D