UE3 - UT3 Importing 5.1

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tjslater

May 23, 2008
So I've imported a 5.1 track successfully using the prescribed naming convention. It plays ok in the generic viewer as well as the cue editor when testing it. However, whenever I load it into the game and try to rebuild it, it freezes! Any idea why? is there a setting somewhere or a switch I need to flip?

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
I didn't think any UEng titles could render 6channel samples. Granted there is eax and hardware surround but those are applied to world effects as they're rendered ingame. Sounds are all mono and music can be up to 2channels. I need to give this a try.

DaJMasta

Jun 12, 2004
Normally sound in UT3 is rendered into 5.1 from mono and stereo samples in the environment and soundtrack.

Unless you're trying to import 5.1 sound for the music of a level, you can probably recreate the effect by importing pairs of sounds as stereo and using 3 sound playing locations to get the full effect.... but the positional audio system should be able to render however many channels from stereo or mono sounds, so it wouldn't be really necessary.

If you are trying to import 5.1 channel music, I would say use your music program to condense it to stereo, and if you really want to try to add a sub channel, you could try a huge radius looping ambient sound or something. It would be difficult to get the rear and center channels though.