1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I'm looking for a UT RPG

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by jackrabbit, Apr 21, 2009.

1. jackrabbit

jackrabbit New Member

Does anyone know of a RPG for UT (or any other unreal series game) which takes from classics like Chrono Trigger, the Elder Scrolls series and Final Fantasy?

I'm talking sword, axe and mace weapons in a midevil location preferably. Remember, i'm talking not just about UT99 but also any other Unreal series game (I chose UT99 because that would be the best platform for it most likely).

Keep in mind I have played Nali Chronicles and I know about TCO (The Chosen One).. these don't count!

2. jackrabbit

jackrabbit New Member

well then.. i guess its about time for me to start working one one.... anyone interested? I'm not thinking of one big map, but rather a "hub" of maps (town -> marsh ), (marsh -> to dungeon), etc. which you can travel back and forth as you please. Character data will be maintained from map to map keeping your character statistics intact. This will most likely start out as a single player quest, but could definitely move to a multiplayer setting.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. Exus Tecius

Exus Tecius like diamonds in the sky

iirc there was a game called runes.you can dl a demo on filefront.
    and not rpg but medival gametype mod called tievery ut with old weapons and stuff.

gl on you SP mappack.

4. [GU]elmur_fud

[GU]elmur_fud I have balls of Depleted Uranium

hmm well there is an rpg mutator (I run it on my UT2K4 INV server) that gives persistant stats and skils.

There is a relics mutator that gives magic abilities.

There is a mutator created by my brother and I that adds 3 magic weapon classes to RPG a couple more magic artifacts and a rune combo system.

The ballistic weapons pack includes a katana.

And there are tons of player models for the various games many of them taken from various RPG's I know for a fact there is a Link model and a Cloud model.

Alot of the above is available for multiple versions of UT.

Additionaly there has been alot of RPG games based off the Unreal engine...

Rune is a gothic FPS style game where you hack and slash with axes and swords through norse mythology.

Lineage II is a MMORPG.

Gothic1, 2, & 3 are full scale rpg's set in a classical victorian style fantasy world of magic, dragons, swords, and mythological creatures. Respectively based off the 3 major itterations of the unreal engine. Thats false says fud see below for the path to truth.

There is more but that's all I recall off the top of my head.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. Creavion

Creavion New Member

What? Are you talking about the Gothic RPG Series from Piranha Bytes (ok lets forget the third title)? :con:
    Where the hell is the relation to the Unreal Engine... there isn`t any... because it does not use the UEngine in any kind.
    At least I can say, Gothic 1 and 2 ... DEUTSCHE QUALITÄT.

6. Kaleena

Kaleena Unregistered User

Yeah what the eff has the unreal engine to do with the Gothic series? And let's not forget the third one : the community has released a patch (1.7) that finally turns it into a great game, beautiful smooth and not too buggy at last. The Gothic series uses an independent engine that has absolutely nothing to do with the unreal engine.

7. [GU]elmur_fud

Well I read that it did and since each game has a similar look/and feel to what would be it's respective Unreal engine counterpart I naturally had no reason to question that info.

I liked all of them even 3 and 4 looks like it's shaping up nicely also.

more UE RPG's:
    Chronicles of spellborn
    Magic the gathering - battlegrounds
    Magna Carta: Crimson Stigmata
    Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

Not released yet:
    Elveon
    Ragnarok Online 2: The Gate of the World
    Huxley
    Magna Carta 2
    Blade and Soul
    Endless Saga

8. Kaleena

I wonder where you read that. Because I can assure you that it's false.

Wikipedia says (and wikipedia is right this time):
    Gothic 3 is powered by a custom engine called the Genome engine; it supports Pixel Shader 3.0, has a multithreaded design and includes dynamic lighting (including self-shadowing). Physics simulation is provided by Ageia's PhysX physics engine. It also uses IDV's SpeedTreeRT tree and plant software, Bink Video Technology from RAD Game Tools for the cutscenes, as well as the FMOD Sound System from Firelight Technologies for sound playback.

for gothic 2 :
    The game engine is basically a modified version of the Gothic engine. The texture resolution has been improved by the factor 4 and the world is said to be three times as detailed as in the first game. While the graphics are less detailed than other engines of the time, there is almost no loading time.

for gothic 1:
    Piranha Bytes worked more than 4 years on the development of Gothic's technology. The engine was created completely in-house, with a modified version later used for Gothic II. These are the only games to use this engine. The Engine's Codename is ZenGin, because of the *.zen file technology.

9. [GU]elmur_fud

Well I would of had to have read it someplace that should know since I took it as fact and haven't questioned it for this long. Not to say that journalists don't make mistakes, I found a blatent one in last months issue of Wired were they gave Thomas Edison complete credit for inventing the electrical grid. where it was Nikola Tesla that discovered AC current and refined the model that actually made it functional. To use Edison's DC we would need a power station for roughly every 1.2 miles of power line. So yes they do make mistakes and I know that, I had no knowledge to the contrary about Gothic's engine and since it looked like it could have been made on the Unreal engine I had no cause to doubt the information. That said, Ty for the info as I don't like misleading people.

Now that that is out of our systems...

There are also multiple versions of the RPG mutator itself most if not all are based off mysterials orrigonal RPG mut.

BTW any1 else think of any more cause atm I am drawing a blank.

10. jackrabbit

jackrabbit New Member

I think i'm gonna go play the Gothic series now :lol:

11. Kaleena

And that's a good idea :tup: