IG officially announced

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
/me gives Wowbagger that look. :D

I wouldn't play IG exclusively. That's just plain boring. When I started playing UT I played no IG at all; just 100% regular weapons CTF. Towards the end it was maybe 1/3 IG CTF, 1/3 regular CTF and 1/3 regular DM. When U2/UT2 comes out I'll probably play 5-10% IG.

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
i'm also glad it is included (tho i didn't doubt it for a minute). IG can be quite fun from time to time, and it also helps A LOT if you want to improve your aim.

btw, the gametype is more popular than you think, but most IG'ers play when normal ppl are already sleeping. :) just check which servers are still packed at 2-3 AM and you'll find it's 90% IG servers.

MxFxSunrise

Jul 21, 2000
Looking in from the outside
I hope they fix instagib its the worst mod. The gun fires bad and its projectile actually takes a fair time to travel. Insta gib should be faster. As far as instagib goes I think Quake 3 is better. I would like to see a more rail like projectile and maybe some kind of grapple. Then I would play instagib in UT instead of Quake 3. I guess it just comes down to me not liking UT CTF? Meh O well Here's hoping. . .

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
Originally posted by SUNRISE
I hope they fix instagib its the worst mod. The gun fires bad and its projectile actually takes a fair time to travel. Insta gib should be faster. As far as instagib goes I think Quake 3 is better. I would like to see a more rail like projectile and maybe some kind of grapple. Then I would play instagib in UT instead of Quake 3. I guess it just comes down to me not liking UT CTF? Meh O well Here's hoping. . .

<no offense pls>
I'd like to see some of the ppl who only hangs out in the OT forum, acctually investigating how things work.
That's the main reason I don't like the OT forum, cause everyone always makes smart-ass comments about the technical details in UT (when they talk about UT at all, that is) and they're always wrong.

Like now when you state that the instagib projectile is too slow.
Have you ever heard about tracehit, or hitscan?
All shot-weapons in all 3D games use two techniques, hitscan and projectiles.
Projectile-weapons launch a separate object, called a projectile, which, when it hits an enemy, does damage in one way or another.
It's sort of a proxy for the weapon.
A hitscan weapon uses the simple technique of drawing an imaginary line between the weapon/player, and the target, and if the target is an enemy, it deals damage to it. -No projectiles involved.
the sniperrifle, enforcer, minigun, shockrifle primary beam and the supershockrifle (Instagib rifle) are scanhit weapons, they draw a line from source to destination and checks for a hit.
In this class we can fit the melee weapons like Impacthammer, and chainsaw, but they use a trace-line that's only a few units long, (one can prolong this and frag ppl on the other side of the map with the Impact Hammer, but that's another subject)

Projectile weapons are: translocator, biorifle, shockrifle secondary fire, pulserifle primary, and secondary (although those projectiles stand still in the air...), ripper, flakcannon, rocketlauncher and redeemer.

See the difference?
The reason to use scanhit instead of projectiles is that projectiles can only travel at a maximum speed, and it's to slow to simulate riflebullets and lightning-effects for example.
If you want to compare, test Lazy Matrix, and use the shockrifle when the game is slow...

When you use an IG rifle to shoot a particular spot, that spot recieces damage the very instant you press the fire-button.
To make it visible (as opposed to the sniperrifle f. ex.), the IGrifle also spawns an 'effect', a meter-long 3D-model, that replicates itself over and over again, until it reaches the hitlocation the rifle aimed at.
This is the 'beam' you see, and it has NOTHING to do with damage at all... It's just there to show where the shot went.
The reason the effect is so 'slow' is because that each beameffect must spawn the next one, and the next one can't spawn a new one unless it exists, and this takes some time...

Open a big map, like ctf-face, and shoot a wall far, far away, you see the effect of the hit, on the wall, before the beam reaches it...
</no offense pls>

I think instagib is worth a place anywhere.
It's a great idea, just like Tetris.
Tetris is a not-very-graphicaly-impressive game, but it's sure fun and a great idea...
Instagib is good when practising aim, AND movement.
I didn't use dodge before I played instagib, but now it's pretty much all I use :D (and I can't stand games that don't have the dodgemove, like Q3)

<advertisement>
If you want a railgun, we have the best.
As you probably know (at least if you're in the coding forums from time to time) I have made an enhanced port of the railgun from Q2 to UT, and I'm pretty proud if it...
I assume you know all this by now, and if you don't do a forum search for 'railgun'.
The latest version is included in the BuF bonus pack, that we'll release whenever the hell we feel like, and it has some enhancements from the previously released version (which I wasn't satisfied with):
The ion-spiral is now a particle system, thus it looks pretty much exactly like the Q2 version.
The steam-particles have been widthened by 175%.
The menu system is updated and globalised, mainly to support the other mutator in the pack.
As you know, it features a nice reticle for sniping, but for thise that don't like the idea to zoom with a railgun, the 'Oldschool' option now works perfectly without locking, or jaming or anything (Server controlled).
As a client, you can turn off display of the beams, to reduce lag, (and increase "where-did-that-came-from-factor")
It also features a crosshair stolen/ripped from Q3, that makes aiming 130% effective... (guesstimated).
The sound is boosted, and reduced in size, but not quality (I know my ways around CoolEdit... :))
Some big textures are also reduced in size, shrinking the package size from over a MB to less than 500k :cool:
Adding a reload-sound to make the reload anim justice...
Decreased the damage to about instagib-magnitude (was 10 times more...)
Plus the several hundred of tweaks and optimisations that coders always do, but cant describe :()

Whenever the bonuspack is released, you can also be the proud owner of a railgun.
</advertisement>

We don't have any grapling hook, but there are some to choose from out there...

Originally posted by fragswill
Bleh @ IG. If they implemented MVG, that would really be something.
:lol:
I'd grade the railgun an MVG ;)

Virus{PCG}

IF deathball$>ghey THEN GOTO speedball
Jan 10, 2002
UK
Visit site
Personally, Im all up for IG, especially when 'zeroping' or 'unlagged' get converted to the new engine :D

As regards spamming, I see 2 ways to reduce this...
1) Limit ammo supply, with ammo packs thoughout the level (as said earlier)
2) Increase the amount of time inbetween each fire of the rifle from approx. 1.5 seconds to 2.5 seconds

I hope IG can be developed from what we have at the moment...'spawn, run to commonly agreed melee area, fire, die.' With a bit of luck, the new engine may be able to recognise many segments in a player's body (i.e. a hit in arm, leg, head, stomach, chest), so that an accuracy rating can be added

Virus{PCG}

IF deathball$>ghey THEN GOTO speedball
Jan 10, 2002
UK
Visit site
Who said anything about the accuracy rating stopping the instant death? :p

As an example, players could get the following accuracy points upon fragging an opponent...
Head... 10
Chest... 7
Stomach... 6
Arms... 5
Legs... 4