Ideas how to make INF more entertaining!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
I have recently shooting of an campaign amongst the people I meet everyday (at the design university I study at the moment) to get ”UnrealTournament”-playing people to start playing INF.

To make it easy for them (it's not very easy now as you all know! Especially not for mac...) I have made a "easy-copy-and-play" installation CD (two Cd's really, including about 70 maps!) and also a pdf-based inspiration and instruction shortcut manual to INF. Why? I want people to discover a great (and smarter than most FPS) game, but I also want people to play with on other maps than those on the ordinary servers.

The campaign has only just begin but I see already some reactions that have lead me to some conclusions: First, I think we that love INF have to understand that we must be some kind of freaks! I mean; is it REALLY healthy to get attracted to as accurate realism as possible in things as weapon simulation (design, behaviour, aiming, putting together tactical loadouts etc), real body simulation (stamina system, ”rolling” walk field of vision, leaning around corners)???

Personally I cant stand UT, but I can understand what who like it get attracted of. Of course it's much less complex to learn, but more important is the fact that you can get hit SEVERAL times before you're die is a quite good solution for well balanced fights where you don't have to be super skilled to have fun. INF more or less DEMANDS some level of skill to be fun... INF is thrilled fear to get hit, UT (and Quake, CS, HalfLife and more) is messy "simple party" fun, you have a new life after you been killed... So, INF lovers want to simulate, other people just want have fun and don't care about "tactical load-outs" and so on...

BUT I will below point in a direction how to make the changeover for ”UT-players” to INF easier! Things can be done! What I have in mind is NOT to make INF more simple to learn, and NOT to make the weapons less lethal since those realistic things is the fundamental that's unique about INF. Instead: ADD MORE ”FUN” AND ACTION-EVOLVING STUFF THAT ARE EXISTING FOR REAL LIFE SOLDIERS! Don't be so ”afraid” of adding ”extreme” and things that are in the outer regions of what could be realistic. Here are some ideas... (Number of * shows how important I think the idea is; 1-5)

***** TRACE FIRE: The bullets travelling in the air in INF are invisible and that diminish the entertainment value in the game A LOT! Trace fire look really cool and are at least quite realistic. People used to the plasma guns get at least something "for the eyes". DON'T ARGUE DOWN THIS IDEA BY DEFAULT! PLEASE THINK OF IT!!!!

***** MINES: Mines are very realistic. Different types that are used in real life should be possible to buy; remote trigged, motion trigged, mounted on walls, placed on the ground, This will ad MUCH fun.

****ARMOR VESTS: Buy a power-up in the load-out-shop! This is realistic! Of course this will add more tactical decisions when putting together your load-out . A armor vest will of course will cost money and bulk and you have to strategically choose between heavier weapon load and no protection or less wepons load and more protection. Or ALL but really slow speed... Here is a link with armor vest examples

***NON LETHAL (EVOLUTION) WEAPONS: Non lethal weapons (for example paralysing by electric shock, pain but no damage weapons and more) are getting more common, since peace preserve missions getting more frequent. Perhaps "killings" with non lethal weapons should give higher score? Would guaranteed add fun! (And morally values!)

**SPY (EVOLUTION?) STUFF: Today's soldiers getting more and more high-tech supported. I'm no expert on the exact designs that are evolving out there but it would be fun to be able to send out small (model sized) spy planes in huge outdoor maps as EP...

Another category of idea on how to increase the team feeling:
Before the game start, you have to ”tell the team” what role you are planning to have in the team; for example aggressive assault attacker (runner), heavy gunner, sniper, mine placer, canon food (to fool enemy into traps!)... Better names and more categories must be evolved that reflect the roles you have in a real military unit. The roles you choose will NOT influence at all on anything more than the way the score is set, in some way a balanced scoring can be done. But the most important thing is that people know what they can expect of each other.

Ok.. Some ideas... More to come... feedback please!

honestly we don't people in the "UT" mindset to play INF :hmm:

if your hope'n for a tactical FPS, where your guy. but if you want large weapons and fast gameplay, you may wanna go back to UT ;)

let me comment on some of your ideas (I won't be to rude :p)

***** TRACE FIRE: The bullets travelling in the air in INF are invisible and that diminish the entertainment value in the game A LOT! Trace fire look really cool and are at least quite realistic. People used to the plasma guns get at least something "for the eyes". DON'T ARGUE DOWN THIS IDEA BY DEFAULT! PLEASE THINK OF IT!!!!

Ok, for the new Machine Gun planned for the next release, I would say.
icon14.gif
Hell yeah. I would howerver like "DRAWN" bulletes simular to the mod Serpentine, eccpet drawn at full speed. or atleast some sound effects of bullets whizzing by. so this is a OK idea

***** MINES: Mines are very realistic. Different types that are used in real life should be possible to buy; remote trigged, motion trigged, mounted on walls, placed on the ground, This will ad MUCH fun.

Mines are planned ;) check the armory!

****ARMOR VESTS: Buy a power-up in the load-out-shop! This is realistic! Of course this will add more tactical decisions when putting together your load-out . A armor vest will of course will cost money and bulk and you have to strategically choose between heavier weapon load and no protection or less wepons load and more protection. Or ALL but really slow speed... Here is a link with armor vest examples

Armor is planned. but all equipment is determined BY THE PLAYER and not bought, and won't be picked up from "load-out-shops" :) prehapse a ammo box for getting more ammo, but thats a big mabey. and Armor will cost LOTS of bulk

***NON LETHAL (EVOLUTION) WEAPONS: Non lethal weapons (for example paralysing by electric shock, pain but no damage weapons and more) are getting more common, since peace preserve missions getting more frequent. Perhaps "killings" with non lethal weapons should give higher score? Would guaranteed add fun! (And morally values!)

Umm... No. This is war man. one side is out to kill the enemy, and prehaps get him to surrender. NOT TO DISABLE. maime if they can get away with it. This is NOT SWAT, or any police action where we are trying to aprehaend them. Its War.

**SPY (EVOLUTION?) STUFF: Today's soldiers getting more and more high-tech supported. I'm no expert on the exact designs that are evolving out there but it would be fun to be able to send out small (model sized) spy planes in huge outdoor maps as EP...

you may SEE planes wizz by, but they will not do anymore than that. The radar is in there. but only if the server puts it on(which is not realistic). tactical maps may be put it :) but no spy planes

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
phatcat

Seems as most of my whishs will come true! That's great!

Some comments on your replay:

If your hope'n for a tactical FPS, where your guy. but if you want large weapons and fast gameplay, you may wanna go back to UT
I hope you understand that I love the realistic INF-weapons. It's those others that perhaps will need some more "flashy" stuff. But hell no unrealstic weapons!!!

Ok, for the new Machine Gun planned for the next release, I would say. Hell yeah. I would howerver like "DRAWN" bulletes simular to the mod Serpentine, eccpet drawn at full speed. or atleast some sound effects of bullets whizzing by. so this is a OK idea
I understand it's realstic to have trace ammo in the heavy machine gun, but how about to have it also on other automatic weapons? The trace could be different, more weak, but still visable. This would increase the "action feeling".

Fly by sound is a must!

Armor is planned. but all equipment is determined BY THE PLAYER and not bought, and won't be picked up from "load-out-shops" prehapse a ammo box for getting more ammo, but thats a big mabey. and Armor will cost LOTS of bulk
Some kind of conception confusion comunication problem here! What I mean by "bought" is of course the thing you do in the "load-out-shop"! Anyhow, I see what you mean: Armor is planned and it's great!

About non leathal wepons; it was no important idea for me so it's ok! The same about the mini spy plane. When thinkin of it; I don't like the radar! when it's on I look on it ALL THE TIME, it's another game with it activated and I don't like it. I never use it when hosting my self.

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
Mines are planned check the armory!

Umm, what?

Already included.

Mines are realistic. However running around sticking them to walls, with motion sensors is not. A realistic minefield would be like the mines on EP, only denser and less obvious. A small unit running around putting motion sensors and mines on the walls and underground with the intention of blowing up another small unit is movie reality. While flashy and nice to look at is something I think INF should stay away from.

****ARMOR VESTS: Buy a power-up in the load-out-shop! This is realistic! Of course this will add more tactical decisions when putting together your load-out . A armor vest will of course will cost money and bulk and you have to strategically choose between heavier weapon load and no protection or less wepons load and more protection. Or ALL but really slow speed...

Already planned.

Unless there's a specific reason not to kill someone, military units usually forgo non lethal weapons. They're out to kill the enemy, not to disable them or remove their ability to fight.

Those are normally assigned and utilized at the battlion and brigade level. They might be useful with new gametypes and larger maps, but right now they aren't really needed.

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
FiringAimlessly

Hey, Zirb, do you plan to include the INF-Monsters mutator in the CD?
OF COURSE!
(NOT!!!)

The main idea with my posting is that it would be easier to hook up potential INF-players if more ”cool striking stuff”, but still realistic could be added. If looking at me, I'm a real world simulator lover, so it not so much for my need's I want this if you read my inital posting carefully. But we have to remember that INF still are a game, not really a simulator, and then I think some actions could be done just to make the game ”funnier”, mostly to hook up newbies!

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
ANOTHER NEW IDEA!!!

One thing for example I know that newbies have problem with, and as a matter of fact, get boored with and simply quit playing INF, is the ”only one life” system! Personally I think it's cool to eliminate the enemy one by one, but newbies never get the chance to feel that the are playing before they get killed... Bots or online, it doesn't matter... When they get killed and have to wait for the round to end (online where you cant force quit the round) they get bored... NOT GOOD! We loose many potential players there, I PROMISSE!

After a while they start to get really cowardly and get bored even more and say things as ”this is a slow game” and the longing for UT... Do you see the problem? All we that pass these obstacles are special; we love simulators more that games perhaps, love realistic weapons, love the military stuff unhealthy much or all (as me??) Do u see what I mean?

Now you will say "you only have to increase the number of lives", and that's totally correct! I have personally noticed that 3 or 4 lives and a time limit about 6 minutes are a really good mix, as a matter of fact for booth newbies and really skilled as me (some kind of ironic :) ). These settings let the newbies have several chances, he will not get bored. Still the time span is enough to start eliminate the other team one by one.

This IS a good idea, and that's my method of getting people to play INF.
I sure that INF would get more players if including an idea similar like this.

WHAT I MEAN IS THAT THIS REALLY GOOD BALANCE BETWEEN FUN-FACTOR AND ELIMINATION COULD BE INCLUDED AS SOME SORT OF PRE-DEFINED GAME TYPE IN THE INF INTERFACE AND PERHAPS EVEN ON OFFICIAL ONLINE SERVERS!

ZIRB

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
*cough* Inf-lite *cough* that lets you have a bit more 'action' than you ever should see in regular Infiltration.

Altough an intermediate 'setting' (ie not quite Inf, but not exactly Inf-lite either) would be neat.

The InfMonster-mutators might not be 100% realistic, but they are insane 'action-filled' fun if you set them up correctly ... :)

// mines :
hell no!
They are not 'fun'.
Getting shot by an unknown enemy I can stand.
Getting blown to bits because I happen to step on something invisible = bad.

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
They are not 'fun'.
Getting shot by an unknown enemy I can stand.
Getting blown to bits because I happen to step on something invisible = bad.
Ok... If we have to be that realistic that the mines have to be invisible I say NO too. But if we CAN see them, then... Those HalfLife-mines was kind of fun!

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
This is Infiltration, there can be no excuse for not trying to be as realistic as possible ... ;)
Claymore-mines are possible (and they were mentioned in ye olde roadmap), but would it be realistic to have people deploy them in a 'short' time or does it take up to a minute or so ?

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
heh, I think the tracers could be enlarged a bit, and more of them. I also agree about bullet sounds whizzing by your head, it would come in handy whith the FNMinime. Muzzle flashes shoud also be changed a bit (already disscused) so the 1st person muzle flash is put on the 3rd person weapon.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
I can't seem to find them either, altough I think they were mentioned in ye olde roadmap (may its bits rest in peace).

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
I remember seeing them in an Unreal-version of Infiltration I had.
I think that just as the AT4 was dropped after 2.75 mines have no place in the current gametypes in Infiltration.