Idea for a mapping tutrorial

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DrDoomed

Nov 4, 2003
srry if this type of thread isnt allowed

ok im gonna make this short i just typed up a long thread and when i submitted it said i wasnt logged in and lost what i wrote :/

basically i am a noob mapper. i used wiki (good site) to learn the basics of mapping but when i want to translate my own ideas into a map i get stuck. This is because i do not have a full understanding of the tools due to the simple tutorials on offer.

Basically i feel that for a n00b to learn they need to see pro's in action, so i propose that somebody on the wiki makes a step by step tutorial on the making of an already existing complex DM map from start to finish.

This would help me and many others fully understand the process of mapping and when and where certain tools are used, to achieve desired effects.

thanks

DrDoomed

Nov 4, 2003
tarquin said:
That sort of thing is really hard to explain.

There's pages like http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Z-Axis that explain certain concepts in creating maps.

What sort of tools do you need help with?

(and btw yes, it would be better to discuss this on the wiki itself.)

( ok no more threads like this then :) next time it'll be on the wiki)

well my brain is pretty retarded so take it into account. I understand the actual concepts of mapping , flow , wep placement etc i take that in pretty well. I also understand what the tools do.

Basically i'm the type of guy that learns by example and if i saw alot the UED tools (features?) actually put into action on a project it would help me alot. It would give me more of an insight into the creation of a map , than just telling me what things do and leaving me to go on and do them on my own.
The only actual DM map step by step tutorials i found are very basic ,just a box rooms , some adjoining corridors and some lights (and textures ).
Maybe something more complex would let n00bs take that next step up the ladder , guiding to a better understanding creating ideas of thier own that can , with the newly found knowledge , be put to use , faster than just leaving them on thier own.
Like i said before whats a quicker way to learn. On ur own , or by watching the pros ;)
THats why i think a pro DM map step by step tut to see everything in action and how it alot of the features the wiki explains comes together into a final map. I know it would be alot of hard work for somebody to do , but i beleive it would really help alot of people. They would see the building process , tools in action , learn new tricks and more. What better way to learn is there?

hmm on retrospect maybe alittle too much work..ah well forget it.

Last edited: