[idea] flag carry icon

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
When you carry flag, instead of just text «You have the flag» there should be flashing flag icon at left or bottom side on HUD.
In heat of battle you don't look at any text. Sometimes you don't even notice that you carry flag.

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
I think they should give one point for taking the flag off the base and 20 points for actually capping it.

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
Yeah will donuts aren't necessary but I still like them.

If they gave a point for grabbing the flag off the base you would almost never have those long drawn out stalemates.

I wonder if anybody has made a mod that does this. I would like to try it out. It might suck or it might be fun.

LANCE.xd

Flak Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
The Countdown Node
They did that in Tribes 2 a while back. It was 1 point for a touch and 100 for a cap. It rarely made a difference, but it makes cap attempts less for naught than they currently are. I thought it was a good system nonetheless.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Yeah will donuts aren't necessary but I still like them.

If they gave a point for grabbing the flag off the base you would almost never have those long drawn out stalemates.

I wonder if anybody has made a mod that does this. I would like to try it out. It might suck or it might be fun.

Individual score, maybe. Team versus team points? Hell no. Stalemates are interesting.

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
Individual score, maybe. Team versus team points? Hell no. Stalemates are interesting.

Well I've played plenty of games where it seems like one guy is on offense and the rest are on defense.

Yeah one point for taking it off the base and 100 for an actual cap sounds better then the 1-10.

I'm just throwing out an idea to revive a game type that seems to need it. Because CTF seems deader then dead right now.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
I'm just throwing out an idea to revive a game type that seems to need it. Because CTF seems deader then dead right now.

How about:

-Replace the flag with a giant reefer. The longer you carry it, the higher you get (trippy screen fx, drunk walk...)

-Replace the flag with a nuke that starts leaking radiation when damaged, and hurts the carrier and those near him. When damaged some more it blows up.

-Place the flag (or nuke) on a large vehicle, like a Leviathan. Mobile flag bases on outdoor(ish) maps, tactical fun for everyone. :rolleyes:

-Etc.!

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
Wow I didn't realize my idea where so outrages and stupid. Now its so crystal clear thanks.

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
I'd be happy if they just changed it so the message that you have the flag showed even if the enemy team has yours. The way I run in CTF maps half the time I have to double check if I have it or not.

Vigil

Jan 20, 2008
Agreed with OP and child post, although I think a 1-20+ ratio is too much - still nobody would bother take the flag from the enemy base with such a relatively low reward - "Let somebody else take it and be killed so far away from home. I'll grab it off them when they're a bit nearer our base and get the glory!".

It seems that older games like UT and Q3 have scoring pretty much spot on. With UT3, it seems to be you get most points for killing people and achieving the main objective, no matter the game type, without regard for assisting and such. Often times in both UT and Q3, I'd come top of the list purely by defending the base in CTF. No way that'd happen in UT3.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Well I've played plenty of games where it seems like one guy is on offense and the rest are on defense.

Yeah one point for taking it off the base and 100 for an actual cap sounds better then the 1-10.

Obviously the people you play with have no idea how to actually play proper ctf. Apparently neither do you if you're serious making that suggestion. D:

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
Obviously the people you play with have no idea how to actually play proper ctf. Apparently neither do you if you're serious making that suggestion. D:

Yeah whatever.

I still think it would be a good option to have.

and make it customizable so you can set the value of a flag cap and a flag grab off the base to a setting that best suits the players involved.

If people don't like it they can play it the way it is now. Some might want 1 point for a flag grab off the base and 50 points for an actual cap or you could set it to 100 point for an actual cap. Just more options for people to have.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
It's not an attack, it's an observation on how you look at CTF. What you mentioned is not the way you play CTF.

But tell me, I'm a bit confused, did you mean personal score or cap limit score?

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
It's not an attack, it's an observation on how you look at CTF. What you mentioned is not the way you play CTF.

But tell me, I'm a bit confused, did you mean personal score or cap limit score?

Well I guess I don't play the "Proper" way whatever that is but a lot of the pub games I've been in where people for the most part aren't that good and I include myself in that category where it's a lot easier to play defense then it is offense.

So you have a whole bunch of guys playing defense and a few guys trying to grab the flag. Why because if your not that good then you make a long trip just to get blasted respawn and make a long trip again then you just say will I will just play defense and contribute that way.

Will if you scored one point for your team every time you grabbed the flag off the base then hey I got killed but I at least got a point for our team and who knows that might be the difference between a loss or win and you feel like you done something worthwhile.

And like I said its an option so you and all the guys you play can play the proper way but others might want a variation for their style of play. Might be fun might not be. It was just an idea I was thinking about an thought would be kind of fun to try.

I don't know why giving suggestions or different ideas offend people so much. To me an idea giving in good faith is harmless and might give others something to think about an they might come up with a better idea.